Kids should wear face masks at outdoor activities on Children’s Day

snoop1130

main-2024-01-12T133935.358.png

Parents are advised to ensure that their children wear face masks when they attend outdoor activities on Children’s Day tomorrow, due to poor air quality in and around Bangkok.

Dr. Atthaphon Kaewsamrit, deputy director-general of the Health Department, said that young immune systems and lungs are not as developed as in adults and children breathe faster. As such, there is a greater chance that they will inhale more dust.

He said that attending outdoor activities, such as in public parks or sports stadia, will increase the risk of dust inhalation, as he advised parents to closely monitor the condition of their children and, if they notice frequent coughing or breathing difficulties, the children should be taken to see a doctor immediately.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the air-quality is so poor, activities should remain indoors (thats what they do at my Son' school). 

Can't say I see the point in that unless they close the windows and run the A/C with properly maintained filters.  (I chuckled just typing that)  With the windows wide open, the air is just as bad indoors as it is outdoors.  Most studies show indoor air is even worse- much worse.  It may look better because you're looking across 10 meters of filthy air instead of 10 km of bad air where you can see how bad it is.

Unless, of course, they keep the kids indoors specifically to minimize their activity altogether, so they don't breathe in as much air.  But that can't be good for kids in the long term, nor much fun on Children's Day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Parents are advised to ensure that their children wear face masks when they attend outdoor activities on Children’s Day tomorrow, due to poor air quality in and around Bangkok.

Outdoors.  in the fresh, clean, air? 
Fear.

Not so fresh... Not so clean, not in Bangkok at this time of the year:

Screenshot_3.jpg.ab82c76d532ac85f385f23e31f1be9be.jpg

https://aqicn.org/station/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital/

AND

The cost of clean air in Thailand

"Air pollution increases the risk of many non-communicable diseases, such as ischaemic heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. 

In April 2022, PM2.5 concentration in Thailand's air was four times higher than the WHO annual air quality guideline value. This means the Thai population breaths in air that is too polluted, and which will affect their health. In 2016, it was estimated that over 33,000 deaths in Thailand were attributable to ambient air pollution."

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/detail/08-06-2022-the-cost-of-clean-air-in-thailand

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, impulse said:

Can't say I see the point in that unless they close the windows and run the A/C with properly maintained filters.  (I chuckled just typing that)  With the windows wide open, the air is just as bad indoors as it is outdoors.  Most studies show indoor air is even worse- much worse.  It may look better because you're looking across 10 meters of filthy air instead of 10 km of bad air where you can see how bad it is.

Unless, of course, they keep the kids indoors specifically to minimize their activity altogether, so they don't breathe in as much air.  But that can't be good for kids in the long term, nor much fun on Children's Day.

Valid point... my perspective was one of schools that have closed windows and AC. 

With your example of 'open window' schools... whether outside or inside, masks should be worn then. 

Back to the Authorities on their 'crack down on air-pollution' then....  they'll be spread thin trying to catch the farmers burning their fields and leaving rice on the roads !!!... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Valid point... my perspective was one of schools that have closed windows and AC. 

With your example of 'open window' schools... whether outside or inside, masks should be worn then. 

Serious question here...  Other than schools that cater to expat kids, are there many with A/C?  I've always seen the ones with the windows open and you can hear the kids inside yelling from 5 blocks away.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Serious question here...  Other than schools that cater to expat kids, are there many with A/C?  I've always seen the ones with the windows open and you can hear the kids inside yelling from 5 blocks away.

Most private and semi private schools cater their english classes with A/C. However they usually also add money to your bill for this as well. An additional fee. Government schools though use the logic that A/C is bad for the kids in a classroom and promotes sickness and laziness. (Thai logic I guess if it cost more then make an unreasonable excuse why they need to do it that way. ) At any point though. Most regular Thai schools will refrain from installing A/C in the classrooms. They use fan and keep their windows open. Even if they have an A/C installed they are not using it due to electricity costs. In many semi-private schools I noticed they have certain times of the day in which they are forbidden to use the A/C. What surprised me was that these times were usually the hottest of the day. Again to reduce the electricity costs was their reasoning. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Otherwise have a great day... best wishes from a useless governor.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:40 AM, snoop1130 said:

main-2024-01-12T133935.358.png

Dr. Atthaphon Kaewsamrit, deputy director-general of the Health Department, said that young immune systems and lungs are not as developed as in adults and children breathe faster. As such, there is a greater chance that they will inhale more dust.

He said that attending outdoor activities, such as in public parks or sports stadia, will increase the risk of dust inhalation, as he advised parents to closely monitor the condition of their children and, if they notice frequent coughing or breathing difficulties, the children should be taken to see a doctor immediately.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And what can the doctor do??