Trump wins Iowa caucuses, cementing frontrunner status in 2024 race

webfact

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

You appear to have missed the point (again) which is of no surpise.

Allow me to explain the obvious. The fact that Trump is so popular with Republican voters is a good sign for the Republicans chances of winning in November. You see, if a large proportion of them wanted to vote Republican but hated Trump they might be tempted to abstain or even worse, vote Democrat. If the majority of Republican voters think Trump is "Da Man" then there is very little chance they will abstain or vote Democrat. 

Comprende?

And I see arithmetic isn't your strong point.

You say 'If the majority of Republican voters think Trump is "Da Man then there is very little chance they will abstain or vote Democrat' but as has been pointed out to you by numerous other posters, he only got 51% of the Iowa vote. This means that 49% don't want Trump. Logic (not something big for Trump fans I know) would then say there IS a very good chance that many will vote Democrat (unlikely but possible), vote independant or much more likely, abstain.

If this then translates to the bigger vote in November, he doesn't stand a snowballs chance of being elected because he needs ALL of the Republican vote (which is stil less than the total number of Democrats and is why the GOP always loses the popular vote) PLUS a whole swaith of the swing vote. Of course, gerrymandered districts will play their part in the ridiculous electorial college system, but the key in the election is the suburban swing voter for whom Trump is definately NOT their first choice.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point so let's see what November brings.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Quell surprise,I’m curious about the margin and who gets 2ond desantis spent a lot of money there

Reading the article in Al Jazeera it appears Trump obtained the backing of at least 20 of the 40 delegates. He was aiming for 40% support so he apparently did way better than anticipated. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Reading the article in Al Jazeera it appears Trump obtained the backing of at least 20 of the 40 delegates. He was aiming for 40% support so he apparently did way better than anticipated. 

Or he was managing expectations.

15 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

A grotesque lineup of freaks on that ballot...and the most unhinged freakazoid won in a landslide. Sickening. 🤮

Yeah sure. Successful governor, governor and UN Ambassador, successful businessman..... tell me the wonderful state of the DEMOCRATIC line-up for THEIR primary campaign. Oh yeah, they aren't having one. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Just one in a long line of empty trolling comments from that party. Funny considering how the crybabies who supported Trump have been whining about a stolen election for the past 3 years.

Ironic that you would complain about trolling while trolling. 

The Left - they are what they accuse you of being...

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

You are (unsurprisingly) conflating two things: Trump being popular with Republican voters and Trump being popular overall. 

All this proves is he has a lock on the Republican party (something we all knew) and will (legal issues aside), get the Repuublican nomination. This is of no surprise to anyone.

The test of course will be in November when the nation votes. Then we will see.

Trump has the small problem that he will likely be a convicted felon in November.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

And I see arithmetic isn't your strong point.

You say 'If the majority of Republican voters think Trump is "Da Man then there is very little chance they will abstain or vote Democrat' but as has been pointed out to you by numerous other posters, he only got 51% of the Iowa vote.

It really kills me to be the one to break this to you but [drumroll] - 51% is a majority. :laugh:

It would apppear that it is not I who has the problem with arithmetic. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Yeah sure. Successful governor, governor and UN Ambassador, successful businessman..... tell me the wonderful state of the DEMOCRATIC line-up for THEIR primary campaign. Oh yeah, they aren't having one. 

Political parties occupying the White House typically don't have presidential primaries.

Your knowledge of this subject seems limited.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Ironic that you would complain about trolling while trolling. 

The Left - they are what they accuse you of being...

Your trolling was empty. Just a taunt about the future. If what I wrote was trolling, at least it was based on evidence. And if you hadn't trolled in the first place, I wouldn't have had occasion to make my comment.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

My record at predicting these things is outstanding. Yours? Not so much...

I predicted the Biden win in 2020, I’m predicting a Biden win 2024, I predicted indictments against Trump and I’m predicting convictions against Trump.

What did I get wrong?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

My record at predicting these things is outstanding. Yours? Not so much...

The claims you make for your predictions may be astounding or they may be baseless. That you would make such a claim is more evidence of emptiness.

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Political parties occupying the White House typically don't have presidential primaries.

Your knowledge of this subject seems limited.

Actually, in 2012 and 2004 some states cancelled primaries. Most held them.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

The Dems are leaving the party in droves, Blacks, Hispanics, and all the other Dems that see the way the contempt that the party elite have for them.

That's an interesting claim. Do you have any data to back that up?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

They don't usually have sitting presidents polling around 33%, either.  They're making a mistake not primarying him.

The Dems are leaving the party in droves, Blacks, Hispanics, and all the other Dems that see the way the contempt that the party elite have for them.

I quite agree that prominent Democrats should have run against Biden. Whether fairly or not, he is a weak candidate. As for those droves, what does it say about the strength of Republican candidates that they are either slightly ahead or slightly behind Biden in the polls posing matchups?

• Like 1