Easy ground cover around the banks of a new pond?

ey89

I'm having a 1/4 rai pond dug soon in Korat and was looking for suggestions on something easy to plant around the edges to keep the soil in place for the eventual rainy season.

The soil is a rocky mix, but seems to have enough clay to hold water.  Eventually I'll put in trees and other plants, but for now I'm guessing spreading around some kind of local grass seed would be best? 

• Like 1

Morning Glory (pak boong) grows everywhere around ponds and woud be good. The leaves and flowers are often eaten by Thais as well as vegetarian fish species/land animals. 

You should be able to find it growing locally near water and pull up a few buckets to throw in the shallow water at the edge of your pond. It grows quickly.

7 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Morning Glory (pak boong) grows everywhere around ponds and woud be good. The leaves and flowers are often eaten by Thais as well as vegetarian fish species/land animals. 

You should be able to find it growing locally near water and pull up a few buckets to throw in the shallow water at the edge of your pond. It grows quickly.

Thats an interesting plant, would they know in Thailand about the seeds, LSA?

Also red they are very dominant and you should control the growing. Never the less see they are indeed used as food.

However they also have enemies, so attracting them is a good idea?

I don't know about the seeds, but the plant will easily and quickly spread from foot long lengths of stem thrown in water. Typical stocked fish will eat it when in the water, or as the water rises during the wet season. I let it grow around my ponds because it is easily harvested and my land tortoises and iguanas love it.

It is easy to grow as you can just pull it up. It dies off when the roots get dry (e.g. the pond water lowers during the dry season.

It also adds a bit of structure to the water which is good for shrimp, pond insects, snails and small fish. Like all water plants, it will also help clarify and settle the water column.

Edited by Stevemercer

6 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I don't know about the seeds, but the plant will easily and quickly spread from foot long lengths of stem thrown in water. Typical stocked fish will eat it when in the water, or as the water rises during the wet season. I let it grow around my ponds because it is easily harvested and my land tortoises and iguanas love it.

It is easy to grow as you can just pull it up. It dies off when the roots get dry (e.g. the pond water lowers during the dry season.

It also adds a bit of structure to the water which is good for shrimp, pond insects, snails and small fish. Like all water plants, it will also help clarify and settle the water column.

As i wanted to see what kind of plants were mentioned, look like, i searched on internet.

brought up on a site had to be over 18, just clicked and went on, even a kid could go on.

On that site was said the seed is the natural way of LSD. Even doses were prescribed.

Checked it with another site wikipedia, which said the same about LSA, natural LSD.

The leaves were to be like spinach and you can eat. Red it was even grown in Texas, as food.

Weird you have the experience, it dies when it is dry, as they should thrive well on soil not holding water.

Have no experience with it at all, just red. Maybe try when im back in Thailand close to a pond we have.

See what it brings then. At least it has nice flowers and the eatable leaves then.

Snap! Just dug a "pond"  last week 1/4 Rai same (6 metres deep) my main worry is falling into it can anybody suggest good (NOT expensive, I know that is a contradiction in terms) fencing of some sort? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vetiver grass to stabilize the soil and as ground cover and erosion control we use around our lake Arachis Pintoi (Pinto Peanut) which starts slow but once established it make up to 2 sqm in 6 month. 

Tolerates about anything inclusive heavy grasing, draught, flood, sun and shade. 

Here one plant 5 month old on a south side hill in full sun.

20231108_160457.thumb.jpg.146fa77286919a86b09e66eaa3bab564.jpg

Seeds are expensive and not easy to germinate but once you have a plant its easy to propagate by 2" to 4" cuttings. 

410776889_1573630703376895_8902817093212879440_n.thumb.jpg.5da4dac14488486c4ae2ed255172fe3f.jpg

As said as more you cut as better it spreads. Got lovely little yellow flowers and is a nitrogen fixer...

Edited by Reginald Prewster
add pic

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 10:26 PM, FarmerJoe said:

Singapore Daisy. You see it around many ponds. Easy to manage. Grows fast, nice yellow flowers. I have it in many places on my land.

Singapore Daisy is listed as one of the top 100 most invasive alien species globally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 8:25 PM, Damrongsak said:

Singapore Daisy is listed as one of the top 100 most invasive alien species globally.

Easy to manage. You see it everywhere here for decoration around ponds in front of businesses. Big C, Banks, shopping malls.