Shipping personal belongings from UK to Thailand to live

HI all,

I want to move amongst other things my large record collection and HiFi to Thailand from the UK. Has anyone done this and if so can they give me advice on the cheapest and most secure way to do this. All help appreciated.

Dave

21 hours ago, Dave250264 said:

HI all,

I want to move amongst other things my large record collection and HiFi to Thailand from the UK. Has anyone done this and if so can they give me advice on the cheapest and most secure way to do this. All help appreciated.

Dave

It depends on the volume. Would your stuff fill a 20 foot container, or is this just a crate? In the past I used Boonma to clear an old piano outside the 6-month window for a single duty-free shipment when I moved here. If you are sending used goods for personal use, it shouldn't be a problem. Using a moving company with door-to-door service is generally more expensive than having it crated by a freight forwarder and having a agent on this end handle the clearance. If you have questions, ask the agent here before sending.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having used sevenseas twice I found them OK the first time, a nightmare the second. Lost stuff, tried to charge me for boxes they dropped off I never ordered, unhelpful on the phone then wanted me to pay again when the boxes arrived in Bkk, you pay first before despatch. Stick to professionals like Pickfords

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

???

Your post has nothing to do with visas from Thailand, I’ll move it to the Thailand visa section.

Please explain, I am confused.

• Agree 2

OP, just mentioned this as don't think it's been suggested.

I read few times  of using check in baggage as an option. 

Obviously you need to be traveling to Thailand and would depend on the volume and weight. 

Could speakers be left out of the transported items.

Can understand the records, HiFi not so much. 

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Your post has nothing to do with visas from Thailand, I’ll move it to the Thailand visa section.

I agree that the wording was a little confusing, but it meant that the topic was originally posted in the "Visas and migration to other countries" forum (i.e. the "visas from Thailand" forum)

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

I agree that the wording was a little confusing, but it meant that the topic was originally posted in the "Visas and migration to other countries" forum (i.e. the "visas from Thailand" forum)

Oh thank you.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Please be aware that termites love record sleeves.

So digitise them all as flacs, scan the covers then leave them somewhere safe at home

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The post was originally posted in the forum seeking assistance for visas to countries from Thailand, probably not the right forum to assist the op.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So digitise them all as flacs, scan the covers then leave them somewhere safe at home

The OP used the word HiFi which suggests he might be a vinyl man and doesn't want to lose the frequencies lost when using digital. 🤔

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The OP used the word HiFi which suggests he might be a vinyl man and doesn't want to lose the frequencies lost when using digital. 🤔

Are you saying that vinyl has a greater frequency capability than say 96 kHz flac? And I assume the OP is a gentleman of advancing years when the top frequencies able to be heard is probably considerably lower than 20kHz. 

16 hours ago, proton said:

Having used sevenseas twice I found them OK the first time, a nightmare the second. Lost stuff, tried to charge me for boxes they dropped off I never ordered, unhelpful on the phone then wanted me to pay again when the boxes arrived in Bkk, you pay first before despatch. Stick to professionals like Pickfords

That's disappointing. I used them many times and never had a problem.

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Ah, would those be the frequencies most of us can't hear?

I loved the music on the records, not the records. I still have my large collection, safely in a few boxes, along with the means to play them, but only use CD now, and can't tell the difference ( and that includes when I was decades younger ).

For the rare times I can't find a CD version, I have a vinyl to digital record player. It makes a faithful reproduction including all the hisses and pops.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Agree 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:32 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, would those be the frequencies most of us can't hear?

I loved the music on the records, not the records. I still have my large collection, safely in a few boxes, along with the means to play them, but only use CD now, and can't tell the difference ( and that includes when I was decades younger ).

For the rare times I can't find a CD version, I have a vinyl to digital record player. It makes a faithful reproduction including all the hisses and pops.

There is digitising software which can eliminate all those unwanted noises.

However I did pull a DJ? on an Oldies radio station who's programme was advertised as 'Vinyl'  (NOT VYNIL)

and he admitted that they played flacs but had software to ADD those noises.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, David in the north said:

I used Allied Pickfords & found them excellent
That was seventeen years ago but I don't suppose they will have changed.
Were always good when my old man moved around with the army. Will quote price from where you live to where you are moving to in Thailand

No need to shout! 555

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No need to shout! 555

In Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe opera, someone is described as 'A Parliamentay Pickford, he carries everything' 

Very clever words.

All my vinyl warped when I stored them in my garage in California. I can only imagine what a sea voyage and Thailand’s heat and humidity will do to these records. Digitize them as a backup.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:08 PM, VocalNeal said:

Please be aware that termites love record sleeves.

Great shout. Not thought about this I think after covering them in bubble wrap i'll spray them with insect killer.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:44 PM, David in the north said:

I used Allied Pickfords & found them excellent
That was seventeen years ago but I don't suppose they will have changed.
Were always good when my old man moved around with the army. Will quote price from where you live to where you are moving to in Thailand

No need to shout, turn BOLD off please.

Of course Pickford's will have changed in 17 years.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:22 PM, proton said:

Thanks for the heads up