Trump on trial: What to watch for in the second E. Jean Carroll defamation case

stats

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

This is about defamation, nothing to do with her memory.

He should have kept his mouth shut, appealed and all would be over.

trump's defence should be "medical condition"

He should claim, and I am sure there is not a person who would not agree with him, that he suffers from diarrhea of the mouth cause from a natural lobotoby that has disrupted the connection  of his brain to his mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Just to remind you his guilt was settled.

His guilt, or more accurately liability, was settled in Judge Kaplan's Federal District Court. Not yet in the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

Personally, as someone who lived in NY City in the mid-1970's when Donald Trump from Queens was becoming, The Donald' I would go with the Al Pacino quote from And Justice For All:

That man, there, that man is a slime!

But, to me, denying someone the right to an alibi in a procedure like this, when there is an one-off incident involved, whether criminal or civil, should not stand.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

This is about defamation, nothing to do with her memory.

He should have kept his mouth shut, appealed and all would be over.

You're saying this mess didn't start with an old lady crying rape from 30 yrs ago. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What alibi?

This second case is for Trump’s continued defamation of Carroll, which he did in front of camera hours after losing the first trial.

The second case is  actually the first case.

You are right . No Alibi. How can there be an alibi when Trump doesn't know on which day the alleged assault occurred?

• Confused 2

Just goes to show there is no justice to be had in America with Biden's DOJ manipulating cases for political reasons. I would have liked to see some actual evidence for the conviction. It seems highly unlikely that he raped her in a changing room on the off-chance in a department store. Besides that I saw Marla Maples in person and I don't think Trump would have anything to do with the likes of E Jean. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

His guilt, or more accurately liability, was settled in Judge Kaplan's Federal District Court. Not yet in the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

Personally, as someone who lived in NY City in the mid-1970's when Donald Trump from Queens was becoming, The Donald' I would go with the Al Pacino quote from And Justice For All:

That man, there, that man is a slime!

But, to me, denying someone the right to an alibi in a procedure like this, when there is an one-off incident involved, whether criminal or civil, should not stand.

He was not denied his right to an alibi, he did not appear in his own defence at the original trial, his and his lawyers choice.

He can try to give his alibi at any appeal, but this trial is about the amount of damages, it is not a retrial and is not the place to submit new evidence, as stated by the judge.

I like you posts, you show details and facts that not easily found, and are interesting reading, but I find it hard to believe you do not support Trump, as almost everything you post is pro Trump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

You're saying this mess didn't start with an old lady crying rape from 30 yrs ago. 

Correct, this case started with Trump not keeping his mouth shut.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Correct, this case started with Trump not keeping his mouth shut.

I would imagine if this old lady didn't originally charge trump with rape, none of this would be happening. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

He was not denied his right to an alibi, he did not appear in his own defence at the original trial, his and his lawyers choice.

He can try to give his alibi at any appeal, but this trial is about the amount of damages, it is not a retrial and is not the place to submit new evidence, as stated by the judge.

I like you posts, you show details and facts that not easily found, and are interesting reading, but I find it hard to believe you do not support Trump, as almost everything you post is pro Trump.

Same here and sometimes wonder why I get the sense of a bias post with good searching results but questionable pro MAGA

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

He was not denied his right to an alibi, he did not in his own defence at the original trial, his and his lawyers choice.

He was denied the right to an alibi because there was no claim by the Plaintiff as to the actual date when the alleged assault ever took place.

The current trial as defamation-only was originally filed in 2020. The trial where Trump was found liable for assault  was filed in 2022 when NY state gave a temporary reprieve on civil sexual assault statute of limitations. That is the case that is now under appeal.

And when the current 2020 so-called Carroll 1 case is resolved, that too will likely be appealed after posted a bond or cash.

Edited by jerrymahoney

15 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Same here and sometimes wonder why I get the sense of a bias post with good searching results but questionable pro MAGA

I just look at the case docket in both the civil and criminal trials. And I voted against Trump twice already.

17 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

He was denied the right to an alibi because there was no claim by the Plaintiff as to the actual date when the alleged assault ever took place.

The current trial as defamation-only was originally filed in 2020. The trial where Trump was found liable for assault  was filed in 2022 when NY state gave a temporary reprieve on civil sexual assault statute of limitations. That is the case that is now under appeal.

And when the current 2020 so-called Carroll 1 case is resolved, that too will likely be appealed after posted a bond or cash.

Agree with your comments about the trials. This outcome will be appealed after the level of damages have been set.

Trump will have chance to outline his defence at both appeals, unless he decides that using social media is better for his cult, and continues to believe he is above the law.

The issue of his alibi, our opinions are going to differ.

14 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I just look at the case docket in both the civil and criminal trials. And I voted against Trump twice already.

Please continue to post the case dockets, I find their give a rare insight into the cases, that are not easy to find.

This would be more typical of a complaint under the NY State Adult Survivors Act:

3. On or about August 26, 2015, Defendant ERIC MARLON BISHOP, a/k/a JAMIE FOXX was at a restaurant and rooftop lounge and bar located at 21 9th Avenue, New York,  New York in the City, County and State of New York.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/not_assigned_jane_doe_v_jane_doe_summons___complaint_1.pdf

As opposed Ms. Carroll's:

NEW YORK, Nov 17 (2022)(Reuters) - The writer accusing Donald Trump of raping her 27 years ago

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-defamed-me-again-rape-accuser-carroll-says-forthcoming-lawsuit-2022-11-17/

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

This would be more typical of a complaint under the NY State Adult Survivors Act:

3. On or about August 26, 2015, Defendant ERIC MARLON BISHOP, a/k/a JAMIE FOXX was at a restaurant and rooftop lounge and bar located at 21 9th Avenue, New York,  New York in the City, County and State of New York.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/not_assigned_jane_doe_v_jane_doe_summons___complaint_1.pdf

As opposed Ms. Carroll's:

NEW YORK, Nov 17 (2022)(Reuters) - The writer accusing Donald Trump of raping her 27 years ago

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-defamed-me-again-rape-accuser-carroll-says-forthcoming-lawsuit-2022-11-17/

And the court believed her.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Assuming there are any infringements.

That's what will be the case presented.

Most of the NY State sexual cases involve assault that occurred over a period of time usually involving  some form of employment and most, if not all, the other one-off cases have a specific on-or-about date as with the Oscar-winner Jamie Foxx case above.

Edited by jerrymahoney

20 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's what will be the case presented.

Most of the NY State sexual cases involve assault that occurred over a period of time usually involving  some form of employment and most, if not all, the other one-off cases have a specific on-or-about date as with the Oscar-winner Jamie Foxx case above.

Each case stands on its own merits, I doubt Jamie Fox, or indeed his Oscar will get a mention before the Appellate Court.

Although with the Trump lawyers that stick around long enough to present before the court who knows what kind of whack job nonsense might come up with.

Meanwhile, the court ruling stands and Trump continues to run his mouth present more live evidence against him self. 

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Each case stands on its own merits, I doubt Jamie Fox, or indeed his Oscar will get a mention before the Appellate Court.

Although with the Trump lawyers that stick around long enough to present before the court who knows what kind of whack job nonsense might come up with.

Meanwhile, the court ruling stands and Trump continues to run his mouth present more live evidence against him self. 

An appeal is not a trial. Jamie Foxx aside, there is an incongruity in that few if any one-off cases under the NY State law do not give a date so that the defendant is at least allowed the possibility of entering an alibi.

No date; no alibi. 

< She told the jury that she first met Trump in 1987 -- but she struggled to pinpoint the date that she alleges he attacked her, which she estimated was sometime around 1996.

< "And why is there no date to an event as significant as this in someone's life?" defense attorney Joe Tacopina countered. "It's not a coincidence. With no date, no month, no year, you can't present an alibi." 

https://abc7chicago.com/e-jean-carroll-case-trump-closing-arguments-jury-rape-trial-defamation/13226735/

Does Trump have a right to be allowed to offer an alibi? In a criminal case, absolutely. In a civil case, that will be decided among other constitutional issues. But again, in most if not all one off cases, a date on-or-about was provided