Donald Trump's return could leave Europe 'on its own', De Croo warns

stats

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes, the LAST year. Gee, anything happen in that last year that may have triggered a lot of spending, along with tanking the economy?  How about looking a bit longer scale...

Inflation in the US was;

2017 2.1%

2018 2.4%

2019 1.8%

2020 1.2%

Unemployment was' 

2017 4.3%

2018 3.9%

2019 3.6%

2020 8.0%

Oh, and the S and P 500  rose by more than 50%. Gas down to $2.20 a gallon.

Not bad numbers for the Bad Orange Man

Trump would not be wishing for the economy to crash if Biden's numbers were bad, they would speak for themselves.

18 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Why is it so hard to even spare a faint word of praise for the man with the big hair?

Gee, I don't know. 91 indictments on a range of crimes from fraud (convicted), lying to officials wanting documents returned, flashing national secrets, setting up fake electors, inciting insurrection, and being a sexual pervert (convicted) might have something to do with it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

You can keep trying to parse the data, but the fact is that the US economy under Trump was good. I seem to remember so many 'economists' and hacks in the media losing their minds when he was elected, predicting doom and gloom, etc. It didn't happen.  

I have no problem in saying that the Obama years were fine in terms of the domestic economy.  Unemployment did fall under Barak, but it had a long way to fall. Kept falling under Trump.  Deficits under both, now higher deficits under Biden (even considering that the Covid induced spending is gone).  

Why is it so hard to even spare a faint word of praise for the man with the big hair?

I am certainly not sparsing the data, I am comparing what is comparable, using exactly the same indicators you mentioned.

When, under similar global economic environment than the last mandate of the previous President, the performance during pre-Covid years is similar or a bit worse, there is not much to praise. At best it could be said: "he was able to maintain the good economic results achieved by his predecessor", at worst: "he surfed on the wave created by his predecessor"!

Comparing pre-Covid and post-Covid performances is meaningless, as the global economic environment is quite different. What makes sense is to compare whether the U.S. has better managed the negative consequences of the global Covid crisis than other developped economies, and the reply is clearly yes. Other developped countries would be very happy to enjoy the same performance. It's surely not perfect either, but certainly doesn't deserve the "total economic failure" and other B.S. characterisation by the right-wing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2024 at 11:38 AM, JonnyF said:

Another benefit of Trump being elected. 

The rest of the world is getting tired of "Oirish Joe" interfering in their affairs. Thankfully he will be gone soon. He can retire and get back to playing the banjo.

It seems like a lighthearted reference to someone's potential retirement activities, perhaps suggesting a return to more leisurely pursuits like playing the banjo.