To BYD or not to BYD

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I will also remember that my Dolphin is merely a model name and not take it swimming.

Oh crap ... well that explains a lot ...

... why I snooze so easy when idle, waiting for the wife to shop.  How did I not realize that?

Just hope I don't fall asleep while driving the MG ZZZZs ... :coffee1:

Seagull  :shock1: ... does that come with a tether & ground anchor?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny, I am in the US now. Just for grins I ordered three bearings,  OEM part from China, and it came in a Toyota box. 3 bearings. I took it to the Toyota dealer here and compared. Toyota boxes were fake, parts were cheap fakes.  China is a joke.

• Confused 5
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Funny, I am in the US now. Just for grins I ordered three bearings,  OEM part from China, and it came in a Toyota box. 3 bearings. I took it to the Toyota dealer here and compared. Toyota boxes were fake, parts were cheap fakes.  China is a joke.

Yeah, and they are pricing the BYD the same as Tesla in Thailand,  😆 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

If it was half the price of a Tesla or anything Japanese, maybe....

MAYBE.....but even then, probably not.

Same here.  I have tried using them for parts for years. It's a fools game. They are masters now at , as we say it here " putting lipstick on a pig" They look nice , and hold up for a while. Then start falling apart.

Edited by Gknrd

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I actually like the looks of BYD they have some style.  Tesla are so boring.  And, that new truck looks so stupid can't believe anyone would buy one. I think Tesla will end up like Delorean. Out of business.

People have been saying that about Tesla ever since they came out. They all lost that bet.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I think you have that the wrong way round. Tesla have cut prices several times to fend off competition from BYD. They called it trying to achieve market saturation but BYD was the real reason.

There's a lot of BYDs in Thailand now, mostly Atto 3 but a lot of seals and dolphins. We aren't seeing much criticism except for click baiters on youtube.

So, you would choose a BYD over a similar model of Tesla, if they were the same price?

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I actually like the looks of BYD they have some style.  Tesla are so boring.  And, that new truck looks so stupid can't believe anyone would buy one. I think Tesla will end up like Delorean. Out of business.

TSLA stock is plummeting while other AI players are still rising. Some have opined that it's an Elon thing, apart from the price cuts to meet BYD which now outsells Tesla wordwide.

Screenshot2024-01-20at4_34_29PM.png.452b4279fe8a263fc220e29956189497.png

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Best to check your facts before posting.

I purchased a BYD Seal AWD Performance and it was cheaper than the cheapest Tesla you can buy in Thailand.

Last time I checked the BYD Seal and Tesla Model 3 were both exactly 1,599,000 baht.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Is BYD Dolphin Extended range worth the 160k difference if we are only driving it in the city and no long distance travel (e.g no range anxiety) ?

95PS engine is a bit concern and all the test drive cars are extended range (204 ps).

16 hours ago, Gknrd said:

My wife works for a major bearing Japanese company in Thailand. Even their official distributors are sometimes  caught selling counterfeit bearings. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

Is BYD Dolphin Extended range worth the 160k difference if we are only driving it in the city and no long distance travel (e.g no range anxiety) ?

95PS engine is a bit concern and all the test drive cars are extended range (204 ps).

I bought the extended range. Imo, well worth the extra 160k. Having the extra power on tap is always good especially if you need to do a fast overtake or to accelerate out of a dicey situation. Electric front seats are nice to have, as is the panoramic sunroof particularly for reader seat passengers. The extra range just gives you that bit more flexibility if you need it and the bigger battery can power your home that much longer.

I think the 2 tone colour is also sportier. The rear suspension is also different, multi link as,opposed to torsion beam although I don’t know if that makes much difference in town driving. Slightly bigger wheels is that little bit more comfortable going over bumps in the road.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

You probably didn’t realise that half of all Teslas are made in China. Lots of Japanese brands too.

That doesn’t mean anything. 

They make Apple phones in China too, does that mean the quality is the same as Huawei?

• Confused 3

With an username like yours, I would have thought you would know better than to compare apples and oranges.

Precisely my point: Tesla is better. 

I know they are not the same. Lol

• Confused 4

17 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Precisely my point: Tesla is better. 

I know they are not the same. Lol

It's hilarious how anti EV people have suddenly found religion since Musk bought Twitter.

• Haha 1