13 year old Thai volunteer rescuer dies in drunk driving accident

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-01-19-135934.jpg

A 13 year old Thai volunteer rescuer tragically died on duty in a multi-vehicle accident, the result of a collision caused by a drunk driver in Nonthaburi province, near Bangkok.

The teenage Thai rescuer, Weerayut Jindadaeng, was pronounced dead at the accident scene on the road under the Ngam Wong Wan Toll in Nonthaburi province. He suffered serious head injuries from the impact of the crash.

Another rescuer, Siwabut Khanthong, told Channel 3 that Weerayut’s uncle and father were rescuers from the Poh Teck Tung Foundation. The two inspired Weerayut to join the rescue team, adding he usually came with his uncle and father to help at accident scenes.

Siwabut recounted the accident last night to the media saying the driver of an orange SUV called the rescue team for help at around 12.30am after a tyre burst. Siwabut was the first to arrive at the scene and contacted a hydraulic forklift to move the SUV to a garage for a tyre change.

The orange SUV was parked on the right hand lane of the road. Siwakorn turned on his car’s emergency flashing light to alert other vehicles to the parked SUV.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ กระแสข่าว

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 6

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Weerayut’s 30 year old father, Preecha Jindadaeng, demanded the sedan driver to take responsibility and compensate his family for the loss. Preecha said he still could not accept what had happened to his son

His 13 year old son should have been home in bed at 12:30 am, not out in the middle of the night standing in the road helping out at an accident scene.

Maybe if the father had taken more "responsibility" his son would still be alive.

Nothing to do with the drunken id!ot driving white sedan, then, he's free to go?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Nothing to do with the drunken id!ot driving white sedan, then, he's free to go?

Everything to do with the drunk sedan driver.... and the father.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Weerayut’s 30 year old father, Preecha Jindadaeng, demanded the sedan driver to take responsibility and compensate his family for the loss. Preecha said he still could not accept what had happened to his son

His 13 year old son should have been home in bed at 12:30 am, not out in the middle of the night standing in the road helping out at an accident scene.

Maybe if the father had taken more "responsibility" his son would still be alive.

My dad was a village policeman up in Scotland and whenever there was a weekend road traffic accident that he needed to attend in his private car, he allowed me to come along for the ride. I was maybe 11 or 12 years old before the novelty wore off, but I am pretty confident that at the time, he would have enforced the law had a drunk driver ever taken me out.

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I've become convinced that Thai people have a higher risk tolerance than other people groups. I seen them so often getting inches from death and they don't even flinch. Letting 13 years speed around on motorbikes without helmets and drunk drivers abound is common where I live and this raises no red flags with anyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory comes to mind too.

it's not a 'thai' thing, certain countries and cultures tend to be far more risk denying than others, having traveled widely i can assure you many put thailand to shame in this respect, examples that come to mind; simply insane driving in lebanon, in a shared taxi in yemen where a fellow passenger gives his young child a loaded pistol to play with, the roads and driving in india, nepal, bolivia, peru... thailand has a long way to go to match these places

I noticed that in the thick of all this 'who's to blame' exchange, no one has mentioned the stupid SUV driver who stopped his vehicle in the right hand lane. 

No vehicle that has suffered a flat tyre is disabled enough to prevent it from being driven, carefully of course, to the relative safety of the left hand hard shoulder. Had the SUV driver behaved sensibly, this tragic accident would never have happened.

• Agree 1

No mention of changing the wheel on the SUV using the spare. Instead a forklift truck is called? Imagine that combination driving to a local tyre shop in the dark. If the tyre 'burst' the shop could not/should not repair it anyway. 🙄