Court orders government to form urgent plan to address PM2.5

snoop1130

Surprising they just dont decree that there shall be no talk of the air.   Sad to hear its so bad for you guys. It was pretty bad during our visit last winter.   Very fresh smelling air  here ice fishing yesterday.  Felt like a very slow day just over 1 fish/ hour.  Some beautiful cutthroat and 2 bows.  

20240119_170727.jpg

20240119_141713.jpg

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, retarius said:

Sadly for the suffering public, I don't think he is capable of action unless he personally profits from the action. I don't see how he can profit much from cleaning up the air. 

On another note, for the first time in my life I am having trouble breathing. I'm not a smoker (weed or cigarettes), and have never had any sort of respiratory disease in my life, and I'm now having problems filling my lungs. I wonder if it is the stinking smog, pollution and bad air here.

I had the same issues 15 years ago in Los Angeles and I went to a doctor, had chest x-rays, blood panels and other work done to determine if I had any serious lung ailments. Everything came back negative and he said I think you're developing an allergy to pollution. I said I've never had allergies in my life he said as you get older you develop allergies so I think the only solution for you is to invest in some very serious air filters not the cheap ones, the ones with the large filtration units. I did so, and most of my symptoms that I have been wrestling with for years disappeared within 48 hours. 

So you can try that, or move from where you are. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Hugely embarrassing for the government for the court to step in--if the government was capable of embarrassment.  Massive effort needs to be done, but likely won't.  Blame will be placed on other countries but here on the Darkside of Pattaya almost every evening I smell smoke from local fires, not adjacent countries.  

The vast majority of the pollution here is generated locally, and I would guess at least 60% of it is from sugarcane burning. The sugarcane farmers and the refiners need to be punished, the refiners need to be punished severely, but there's no political will to do that as they are huge agri corps.

The other issue is that Sretta probably ranks up there with Samak (remember his cooking show?) in being the extreme bottom of the barrel in terms of talent and ability to lead the nation.

They could not have picked a worse candidate at this point in time. 

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Quick ?? in Thailand?? Gay Marriage already more than 20 years and still no decision, court decisions after 15 years in several cases... Red Bull heir nothing happened,  Mediashares of Mr Pita ... how long do they need... No quick doesn't exist in Thailand and surely something difficult as air pollution which need more than a law or regulation, but also a good working policeforce, as in many cases is a lack of them

Yes I suppose the police would be the ones required to enforce the laws, or perhaps a regulatory agency of some sort, but first there has to be political will and right now there is none. Sretta is a big talker and a born salesman, and he's got that $800 million smile that he thinks is all he needs.

But we need performance, we need action, and as everyday passes by, his height seems to be shrinking, and he seems to become a smaller and smaller man with his extreme lack of action. Looks like at this point he may be comparable to Samak in terms of being a grossly inferior PM, and an enormously terrible leader, and a huge tragedy for Thai Society. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Catching people who burn illegally is the easiest thing ever given how there is a trail of smoke in the air which can be seen from miles away.  Just like traffic laws the police have never once even bothered to go outside and arrest people or give fines. Not even mere warnings. They are worse than useless.

All they have to do a pass a law and go out and enforce it but of course they are too lazy and incompetent to do even this. Crying to the prime minister as if he can do anything more than them just shows what clowns these people are.

Spell it out.  Clearly.  Is there a pattern?

The areas that are burning...who are the owners..the large agro-chemical land owners.

I think it won't happen.

So back to blah blah blah until next year.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I had the same issues 15 years ago in Los Angeles and I went to a doctor, had chest x-rays, blood panels and other work done to determine if I had any serious lung ailments. Everything came back negative and he said I think you're developing an allergy to pollution. I said I've never had allergies in my life he said as you get older you develop allergies so I think the only solution for you is to invest in some very serious air filters not the cheap ones, the ones with the large filtration units. I did so, and most of my symptoms that I have been wrestling with for years disappeared within 48 hours. 

So you can try that, or move from where you are. 

Thanks I'll give it a try....we use a/c all the time, after the US how can you not? But filtration and or humidification might just be the answer.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:09 PM, Muhendis said:

What will happen after the 90 days is up and Sretha and his government have still not complied?

Nothing methinks.

90 days takes us to mid-April, close to the end of this year's severe smog season, after which it's all forgotten. Until January 2025 of course. Then 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029, .......... 

15 hours ago, retarius said:

Thanks I'll give it a try....we use a/c all the time, after the US how can you not? But filtration and or humidification might just be the answer.

I use the AC a lot too, it filters out a tiny bit of particulate matter but not much. Get a very good air filter with a very large filter unfortunately the replacement units and filters are typically quite expensive, but that's just the nature of the beast. It is money well spent. 

Especially in the land of do nothing politicians, who make a lot of promises and are then completely devoid of action and follow up. Not real men. 

On 1/20/2024 at 8:00 AM, edwinchester said:

Standby for a ramping up of diplomatic efforts after the Govt pin all the blame on Burma, Cambodia and Laos.

Courts are responsible to ensure there is appropriate judicial action when someone breaks a law, and not responsible to make laws and make civil policies.

But let's give it a try, nothing else has worked. 

Neighbour countries including thailand all burn,and it ends up in the mountain bed.Air Is bad so everyone wears masks.How manys years have they tried to fix it and previous gov.It starts soon and everyone knows

I have a perfectly ignorant question, please don't insult me:

isn't burning fields a more than centuries-old practice? Has air pollution always been there or are there other reasons, and are farmers being blamed?

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

Neighbour countries including thailand all burn,and it ends up in the mountain bed.Air Is bad so everyone wears masks.How manys years have they tried to fix it and previous gov.It starts soon and everyone knows

They're not going to fix anything. This morning was particularly bad in western Bangkok. AQIs in the 170s. But at least it just finished raining for an hour or so. Maybe that will scrub the air a bit.