IF Not Thailand: Then Pago Pago?

A couple of points for your consideration:

Living too close to the sea invites tsunamis. On the bright side, rising sea levels are unlikely to affect the topography, if you are sensible about where you rent.

According to my favorite American author, John D MacDonald, Samoans view their American colonizers much like the Indonesians view the Dutch, or Indians view the British.

That is, given the opportunity, they would cheerfully flay, gut and roast them alive.

Thailand does have the plus of never having been colonized.

btw, my neighbor said it is a dump. People join the US military to get away from the island and send money back to family.  There was an American PBS documentary within the last decade on life on the island. Maybe worth  watching. It was on several men that joined the military and how it affected them and their families back on the island.

Just now, Lacessit said:

On the bright side, rising sea levels are unlikely to affect the topography

Yes.

I also thought of this advantage!

Pogo Pogo rises steeply out of the sea.

The Hawaiians hate the Haole (singular and plural form, or haoles if you prefer an alternative plural form), as you alluded to.

2 minutes ago, degrub said:

btw, my neighbor said it is a dump. People join the US military to get away from the island and send money back to family.  There was an American PBS documentary within the last decade on life on the island. Maybe worth  watching. It was on several men that joined the military and how it affected them and their families back on the island.

Yes.

Definitely, I will search for the film and watch.

https://youtu.be/XfvYEIBSCF0

Prayer Time in Pago Pago!

Pray to Save!

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you.

Do you care to elaborate?

Hope you will....

It's fine to go travelling blind in the hope of a unique experience but to settle somewhere without having been there first is unwise. That's the problem some make coming to live in Thailand. 

As Joni Mitchell puts it, "Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm."

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have lived in a fishing village for years at a time on the east coast of Taiwan, without often venturing from my small village inhabited by only about 50 very old people and several younger fishermen.

How interesting, and what visa did you have to live for Years At a Time in Taiwan? 

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I'm thinking...

If I decide to move, for good, and FOR THE GOOD, to Pago Pago....

I could just put all my stuff in on shipping container and ship it to Pago Pago.

I doubt there are any import tax/duty on personal belongings ....have you checked?

, such as 4 microwave ovens, and 2 refrigerators, etc. ...why on Earth would you even have 4 microwave ovens? 

Once I go, I will never return, obviously....then why did you post return flight prices shortly after?

I could not make this long move two times in my life.

43 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

It's fine to go travelling blind in the hope of a unique experience but to settle somewhere without having been there first is unwise. That's the problem some make coming to live in Thailand. 

My thoughts, EXACTLY.

Too many come to Thailand without much forethought or planning.

They have never really lived in Asia, and expect life in Asia to be the same life they are used to.

This is my worry about moving to some faraway rock like American Samoa.

Thailand is the best that I have found.

But still, one needs a Plan B, even if the plan is never acted upon.

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How interesting, and what visa did you have to live for Years At a Time in Taiwan? 

Business visa/Investment visa...

Approx USD250,000.00 investment as director of a business in Taipei.

I was there from 1979 to 2013.

38 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@GammaGlobulin  One's a city, ones a country...but...

HELL NO ... to many overly fat / obese people, and not just the expats, the women also.    Imagine if you will, half the women at Pattaya, as fat as all the farangs on Soi 6 

image.png.698def8a0d6daf65ef38e6e178bfca38.png

image.png.8b84bec771d1269cff47c81448d46a2e.png

Obviously, they are just carrying TOO MUCH Cargo!

Cargo, including Lots of Spam!

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Good Idea...

1. Can I depend upon you for both Moral Support and Technical Support?

2. If I get a shack by the sea, will you join me on your holidays from TV?

3.  IMPORTANT:  For an American Citizen, there is NO VISA required to go to American Samoa !!!!!!!!!!

4.  Yes. You are correct.  This IS a good Plan B for me. Definitely!

Yes, I agree, especially because...

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Lack of very fast internet, ...

buh-bye.

American Samoa is the only United States Territory that has retained oversight of its own borders and the Department of Legal Affairs is tasked with protecting our borders and regulating travel to and from the Territory. Specifically, the Immigration Office ensures lawful entry of all travelers into and out of the Territory.

Immigration officers are stationed at all ports to ensure all travelers entering or departing American Samoa have the proper travel documents. Our office is located on the first floor of the A.P. Lutali Executive Office Building (also known as "EOB") in Utulei.

Not as easy as you might think. American Samoa is somewhat restrictive, including being restrictive for US citizens who want to stay long term.

https://www.legalaffairs.as.gov/copy-of-immigration-office-1#:~:text=If an immigrant wishes to,petition described in detail below.

Edited by John Drake

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Not as easy as you might think. American Samoa is somewhat restrictive, including being restrictive for US citizens who want to stay long term.

https://www.legalaffairs.as.gov/copy-of-immigration-office-1#:~:text=If an immigrant wishes to,petition described in detail below.

I read your link:

A. I was not able to find too much about entry requirements for American Retirees, but I will continue to investigate.

B. Still, the place looks nice, and there are many there who are obviously living a wonderful lifestyle...it seems....

image.png.c619b5a54859cd650ff88f9c3d70af1e.png

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I read your link:

A. I was not able to find too much about entry requirements for American Retirees, but I will continue to investigate.

B. Still, the place looks nice, and there are many there who are obviously living a wonderful lifestyle...it seems....

image.png.c619b5a54859cd650ff88f9c3d70af1e.png

I agree with you. I've often thought about going to AS for the past 10 years. For US citizens the problem is getting a work permit, which is hellacious. Retirees can apparently stay indefinitely, as long as they arrive with a forward bound air ticket, but working is a real problem. And there is only one hospital there, although it's rated highly. I'm in the retirement category myself, and so have researched into this before. 

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I agree with you. I've often thought about going to AS for the past 10 years. For US citizens the problem is getting a work permit, which is hellacious. Retirees can apparently stay indefinitely, as long as they arrive with a forward bound air ticket, but working is a real problem. And there is only one hospital there, although it's rated highly. I'm in the retirement category myself, and so have researched into this before. 

Great Minds...as they say.

I will continue to research.

One never knows when the time may become ripe, like the fruit in AS...

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If you like rugby and drinking kava it might be your cup of tea. 

On American Samoa, they're most likely to end up as NGs or DTs. Funny, I thought the OL most likely. But not so.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@GammaGlobulin  One's a city, ones a country...but...

HELL NO ... to many overly fat / obese people, and not just the expats, the women also.    Imagine if you will, half the women at Pattaya, as fat as all the farangs on Soi 6 

image.png.698def8a0d6daf65ef38e6e178bfca38.png

image.png.8b84bec771d1269cff47c81448d46a2e.png

I saw a story about how they import a lot of unhealthy foods in a lot of south pacific countries including fatty salty meats, a bit spam like, doesn't help.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I saw a story about how they import a lot of unhealthy foods in a lot of south pacific countries including fatty salty meats, a bit spam like, doesn't help.

Yes.

I think the term for it in in islands is CARGO.