IF Not Thailand: Then Pago Pago?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

According to my favorite American author, John D MacDonald, Samoans view their American colonizers much like the Indonesians view the Dutch, or Indians view the British.

That is, given the opportunity, they would cheerfully flay, gut and roast them alive.

Thailand does have the plus of never having been colonized.

Are you sure John was right? It doesn't say anything like that in any 'Lonely Planet' guide I've read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I saw a story about how they import a lot of unhealthy foods in a lot of south pacific countries including fatty salty meats, a bit spam like, doesn't help.

It does seem so, along with gene pool:

image.png.f20b70aedb880fa514034eb0e51f512d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Gamma,

Cross the ice walls and check out what's beyond Antartica.

image.thumb.png.9b5ad7232cacff265202f0a07ab31f6f.png

Right.

Pago Pago will be nothing more than a Pit Stop for me, on my way to Antarctica....and...

Beyond...

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Right.

Pago Pago will be nothing more than a Pit Stop for me, on my way to Antarctica....and...

Beyond...

You might be the first one to ever come back alive from beyond the ice wall.

And man will you have STORIES to tell on AseanNow if you make it back alive!

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

You might be the first one to ever come back alive from beyond the ice wall.

You are always welcome to join me, Sir, wherever I go.

I have no doubt that you and I might be able to "hit it off" together and enjoy each other's company, outside this virtual world.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You are always welcome to join me, Sir, wherever I go.

I have no doubt that you and I might be able to "hit it off" together and enjoy each other's company, outside this virtual world.

Yeah, stay in touch. Never say never. 

But not anytime soon. 

Got a few more dragons to slay first.

image.png.04bd02f42cf513d26cd098a7cee29c88.png

Edited by save the frogs

A few comments...

---The South Seas seem to be beset by two maladies: obesity and maybe echolalia (Pago Pago, Bora Bora, etc.)

---I think Sadie Thompson has long ago left Pago Pago (but in Somerset Maugham's adapted  "Rain", one of my favorites, isn't Joan Crawford fetching....no wonder Davidson (Walter Huston), pious as a Thai monk, could not resist her)

---In my university days, I remember reading about an island in the Cook chain called Mangaia. A visiting anthropologist said it is the land of sex (probably putting even Pattaya to shame), that men averaged some 21 encounters a week, and it was custom for the women to bed each and every visitor. Something to consider, as schtupping is as natural as life itself.

Edited by Walker88

What about MEDICARE for US Citizens retiring to American Samoa?

I am not sure....

Anybody know?

Yes, Folks...

I am taking this seriously, this AS retirement option....

image.png.0509079ae61db14bd0131ffef846415f.png

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-Medicare-Coverage-Outside-United-States.pdf

ALSO...What even IS Medicare?  Not surprisingly, even I did not know, probably because I had never thought much about Medicare before today...

So, Medicare is what?

Go here to find out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_States)

image.png.1f6bb573a979b611891f1228b4e411b8.png

But, what might this mean for people like me?

I have no spouse.

My Chinese wife from Hong Kong is now a practitioner of International Law living in California.  She likes the USA, and I like Asia, and never the twain of us shall meat...again.

===========

So, seriously...

Might some US citizen, such as I, one over the age of 65, qualify for Medicare in American Samoa?

The only reason I might use such Medicare health assistance would be as a consequence of some circumstance such as dementia, or catastrophic and sudden health failure.

IF, for example, I were living in Japan, then the costs of such a health crisis could be astronomical.

In Thailand, the costs would be FAR lower than in Japan, and paying cash always seems the best way, at least for somebody like me.

HOWEVER...IF...as I continue to age, and since I know that I never wish to leave Asia or the South Pacific, or what have you, and since I hate Guam, then there are few options, and Pago Pago is BEGINNING TO LOOK....more wonderful by the hour, the more I do my research.

If anyone here might be interested in the healthcare aspect of life for the US Citizen retiree in American Samoa, and wishes to add their two cents about this important consideration...then...please do....

This is no joke Topic, for sure....

American Samoa is a real option for some, such as I.

In fact, AS could end up being the endpoint of my Final Voyage in this life.

Healthcare is important.

Internet is important.

All other considerations and challenges can be easily sorted out, one might imagine....

Note:  As I stated, I know ZERO about Medicare.  I always thought I would never return to any place where Medicare might be available.  But...AS?  i COULD live there, for sure.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

A few comments...

---The South Seas seem to be beset by two maladies: obesity and maybe echolalia (Pago Pago, Bora Bora, etc.)

---I think Sadie Thompson has long ago left Pago Pago (but in Somerset Maugham's adapted  "Rain", one of my favorites, isn't Joan Crawford fetching....no wonder the Davidson (Walter Huston), pious as a Thai monk, could not resist her)

---In my university days, I remember reading about an island in the Cook chain called Mangaia. A visiting anthropologist said it is the land of sex (probably putting even Pattaya to shame), that men averaged some 21 encounters a week, and it was custom for the women to bed each and every visitor. Something to consider, as schtupping is as natural as life itself.

Quote: "and it was custom for the women to bed each and every visitor".

This was also the reason that the crew of the "Bounty" didn't want to leave Thaiti.

Also the reason that many Farangs didn't want to leave Pattaya. For better of for worse. 555

11 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

A few comments...

---I think Sadie Thompson has long ago left Pago Pago (but in Somerset Maugham's adapted  "Rain", one of my favorites, isn't Joan Crawford fetching....no wonder Davidson (Walter Huston), pious as a Thai monk, could not resist her)

Nice Post!

Tks!

16 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

A visiting anthropologist said it is the land of sex (probably putting even Pattaya to shame), that men averaged some 21 encounters

At first, I had misread your comment...

And I read it instead as:

A visiting anthropologist said it is a land of sex with men averaging some 21 inches in length....

And, hung like horses.

Finding a house to rent in American Samoa might not be so easy as finding a house in Chiang Mai:

image.png.ae1617d13f155be3622b182fedfc3601.png

https://amsamfam.com/finding-a-rental-house-in-american-samoa/

Finding a nice and cheap place to live in AS might not be so easy.

It might be better, before you go, to reach out to a village headman....and...

This might take time.

Therefore, maybe, it would be best to begin planning one's move at least a year in advance.

And, above all, be diligent.

I am Sailing...

I am Sailing...

I am Going....

To Samoa....

Visa Free

Can you hear me....?

I am Going....

Ever after...

Visa Free....

I am Sailing...

I am Sailing...

To Sa

Mo

Ah

Visa Free!

Edited by GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

This is a perfect example of how I view 80% of forum members (in the absence of proper data, I am using the 80/20 rule), and their only personal accomplishment is telling stories about their DIY adventures because their voices are not heard anywhere else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

This is a perfect example of how I view 80% of forum members (in the absence of proper data, I am using the 80/20 rule), and their only personal accomplishment is telling stories about their DIY adventures because their voices are not heard anywhere else. 

Your rule is old hat, and was always too simplistic.

I suggest that you get on board with power laws.

image.png.b83b15358b66e6e45cdfa2ba82378fc8.png

80/20 is for high-schoolers...by comparison.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Walker88 said:

that men averaged some 21 encounters a week,

Pop psychologist Jordan Peterson thinks one night stand folks are sociopaths.

Make of it what you will. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I don't know what to believe. 

38 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Truly, Man.

If you want to get a better understanding of human behavior, and also the commenting behavior on TV, and posting behavior on this thread....then...

You should first become more familiar with the predictive and descriptive power of...FRACTALS....

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Truly, Man.

If you want to get a better understanding of human behavior, and also the commenting behavior on TV, and posting behavior on this thread....then...

You should first become more familiar with the predictive and descriptive power of...FRACTALS....

The forum owners like this type of DIY accomplishment story because it makes them rich. And 80% of the members had to still travel 10,000 miles to live like refugees in a foreign land, possibly using a 'wify' visa.

3 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The internet is a scary place. 

Virtually anyone can express an opinion. 

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

The internet is a scary place. 

Virtually anyone can express an opinion. 

That's one opinion ... 

... I'm not scared, for the other opinion 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Before deciding to move to a new place, such as Chiang Mai, I first take a good look at the airport.

If I like the airport, then this is a major plus, in my book.

Am I considering moving to Pago Pago next week?  No...

But, is Pago Pago, AS...on my short list for a Plan B?  Yes....

So...

I like the looks of the Pago Pago Airport.

Each to their own preferences...but...as for me....

I like the looks of Pago Pago.

What do you think?

Too much congestion for you?  I think not!

Even watching these UTUBE videos of the Pago Pago airport...one can just feel the soft pacific air bathe over one...and it is good.

Definitely...Pago Pago is on my short list for a Plan B.

But, I hope I never need to enact Plan B...

Just as we hope The POTUS never needs to use his Nuclear Football..

I LIKE this airport.

Plan B for Pago Pago is ....

Still ON!

(Who knows....  I may be in Pago Pago even before you know it!)

Pago Pago is growing on me....

You need an air ticket OUT even if you're American. 

You can't buy land unless you're Samoan.

I like that they're so fat though.

So most of us can look fit in comparison. 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You need an air ticket OUT even if you're American. 

You can't buy land unless you're Samoan.

I like that they're so fat though.

So most of us can look fit in comparison. 

Yes.

I was quite surprised, myself, about this inability to buy land.

Quite surprised.

Still, I am sure that this is good for the state of Pago Pago People....

See you in Pago Pago...if/when the wind is right....