Thai Cannabis Network Seeks Clarity on New Draft Bill: Concerns Over Many Parts of the Bill

webfact

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

How long has this been legal? well nobody has annoyed me so far, there is a dope shop every 200 meters where I live, 

Walking that far every morning could be annoying for some         :stoner:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sheer genius

yes sheer genius, this is why if your a non smoker and you complain to your mates at your local they will tell you to sit somewhere else and keep on puffing, I solve this because the shop bar lady puts me at the end of the table with a fan behind me, my mates all smoke except me but I dont complain I just let the fan blow the smoke away,

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just part of Thai culture, surprising no-one at all.

Where does the word "potentially" fit? If plod can shake down anyone for a bribe he absolutely will, there is no "potentially" about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

How long has this been legal? well nobody has annoyed me so far, there is a dope shop every 200 meters where I live, 

Challenge accepted.

I'll be there in about 30 minutes, blazing saddles of obnoxious!

It is not very clear how this is supposed to work.  I couldn't find the clause in the draft that says you need a medical prescription but it is clear enough there will be a fine up to 60K for recreational use and up to a year in jail and/or a 20k fine for DUI of cannabis - limit and testing procedure unspecified. However possession of any part of the plant except extracts over 0.2% THC remains legal but you are not allow to use it, unless you have evidence of medical use. So the cops will have to catch people actually consuming the cannabis recreationally, possession not being criminal. You say you just like the smell and you keep weed in the house like pot pourri you remember from your great aunt's musty old house.

Smoking anything in public so as to cause a nuisance to other people is illegal under the Public Health Act but there needs to be a  complaint and I think the fine is only 10k.  There is nothing on this in the Cannabis Bill. 

It seems like they have to catch people in the act of smoking and fine them for doing it recreationally. But as he says, this would be mainly an opportunity to shake down backpackers.  Most Thai stoners will not have much money to pay the cops and the fine for a first offence is not likely to be more than 10k.  I don't think they can detain offenders for an offence that is not even imprisonable.  Very hard to catch people who ingest it. Extracts over 0.2% may be illegal but if people avoid extracts and only ingest decarbed weed, pretty difficult to catch them. 

Edited by Dogmatix

On 1/22/2024 at 11:57 AM, wombat said:

everything is working fine as it is and doesnt require any clarification ..

''IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT""

The closest thing to laissez-faire.

The right people aren't making the money.

My forecast:  They'll make it illegal, get their cartel ducks in a row (just like beer, 7/11, etc) then re-legalize it, but only the right people will make the money.  Everyone else involved will make a pittance.

BTW, on last week's visit to Bangkok, I didn't see a single weed store open.  They were all closed.  I was only in town 3 days, so I may have missed some.  Are they closed because of legality, or because there's one every 200 meters and they can't make money?