What are you cooking today?

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Chicken fajitas. Make it quite often, actually.

Here in Thailand?

I used to love them back in the US, in fact whenever I would go to a Mex restaurant  I always orde chicken fajitas. 

I use to buy Fajita mix in a McCormac pouch , but I have never seen it here,

Do you make your own mix?  

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Here in Thailand?

I used to love them back in the US, in fact whenever I would go to a Mex restaurant  I always orde chicken fajitas. 

You can use a variety of packaged mixes, if you like. There's burrito mix (or even the taco seasoning, if you're desperate). But yes I make my own personalized seasoning mix and marinade the chicken overnight. Danitas flour tortillas (burrito sized) are available at Foodland and Tops. Find a decent salsa and some sour cream and you're ready to go.

Edited by John Drake

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Next, you'll be telling me boiling water is too hard.

For those who are collinearly challenged like  like Will Be Good, or those who don't have time boiling all the time, I suggest boiling a big batch of water and freezing it for future use 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Here in Thailand?

That's pretty easy.  Here's a basic mix, and just adjust to your taste (usually chili powder) after all done in the pan.   I use cayenne pepper, if use red chili flakes, the go light on them, as 2X the heat of cayenne.   I pass on the sugar, as the green & red pepper have enough.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You can use a variety of packaged mixes, if you like. There's burrito mix (or even the taco seasoning, if you're desperate). But yes I make my own personalized seasoning mix and marinate the chicken overnight. Danitas flour tortillas (burrito sized) are available at Foodland and Tops. Find a decent salsa and some sour cream and you're ready to go.

Thank you for that,

what do you marinate the chicken in,do you use white , or dark meat, and a list ot a link on how to make the seasoning mix would be appreciated, 

I have never made it from scratch. But love it.

I would share a sacrilege with you.

Sometimes I use use those large flour tortillas to make thin crust pizza. It is actually not bad. 

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Those really look good and I have to say they look professionally made. 

Where in Makro  did you find the Puff pastry squares ? was it by the bread? 

I have been looking for them . 

I am going to give them a try. 

In my Macro (Korat - opposite Do Home) in the freezer cabinet with the Roti and spring roll frozen pastry

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that,

what do you marinate the chicken in,do you use white , or dark meat, and a list ot a link on how to make the seasoning mix would be appreciated, 

I have never made it from scratch. But love it.

I would share a sacrilege with you.

Sometimes I use use those large flour tortillas to make thin crust pizza. It is actually not bad. 

Use boneless skinless chicken breasts. Or better yet just tenders. For the mix, I change it up a lot, but tend to use paprika, cumin, chili powder, maybe some garlic and mix in some vegetable oil. Store in fridge overnight. The link KhunLA gives above looks good too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Make my own pizza dough. It's easy. All purpose flour, water, and baking powder. That's all you need. I use four scoops of all purpose flour, a tablespoon of baking powder, and mix in luke warm water until the right consistency. One time I forgot to add the baking powder and discovered that's how you make a thin crust pizza.

Edited by John Drake
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Make my own pizza dough. It's easy. All purpose flour, water, and baking powder. That's all you need. I use for scoops of all purpose flour, a tablespoon of baking powder, and mix in luke warm water until the right consistency. One time I forget to add the baking powder and discovered that's how you make a thin crust pizza.

Yea I do also, but in a pinch tortillas work. I had kids oner the other day, and quickly made them some 

and they loved it, 

Pizza dough takes a couple of risings and an overnight in the refrig to develop taste. 

I have a kitchenaid stand mixer and I actually make my own bread, 

IMO bread for sale here in Thailand leves a lot to be desired. 

4 cups of bread water 2 cups of water , Yeast , salt, and I like fennel seeds. 

in the stand mixer for 5 min, 

Let it rise a couple of time, 

Preheat oven to 450 , with cast iron dutch oven in it  ( I like to Use a dutch oven because it distributes the heat evenly. 

Bake 45 min.  

bread2.jpg.2549a3ea412f6bec4fe00e87f6b5b77d.jpg

Eat what I eat , slice the rest and freeze.  Place in the airfryer for 10 minutes and it tastes like it was Just baked.  I have not bought bread in Years. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea I do also, but in a pinch tortillas work. I had kids oner the other day, and quickly made them some 

and they loved it, 

Pizza dough takes a couple of risings and an overnight in the refrig to develop taste. 

I have a kitchenaid stand mixer and I actually make my own bread, 

IMO bread for sale here in Thailand leves a lot to be desired. 

4 cups of bread water 2 cups of water , Yeast , salt, and I like fennel seeds. 

in the stand mixer for 5 min, 

Let it rise a couple of time, 

Preheat oven to 450 , with cast iron dutch oven in it  ( I like to Use a dutch oven because it distributes the heat evenly. 

Bake 45 min.  

bread2.jpg.2549a3ea412f6bec4fe00e87f6b5b77d.jpg

Eat what I eat , slice the rest and freeze.  Place in the airfryer for 10 minutes and it tastes like it was Just baked.  I have not bought bread in Years. 

I do the same, lovely bread. I try to buy good quality flour as opposed to the local stuff.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

For those who are collinearly challenged like  like Will Be Good, or those who don't have time boiling all the time, I suggest boiling a big batch of water and freezing it for future use 

Love it   (no emoji, see)   It's ''culinary'' by the way.

I made hummus today.  It's cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  Good for dips and sandwiches. I rehydrate dried beans rather than use canned chickpeas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You will not do well in a post-apocalyptic world.

On that ... saw this today,  pricey at $450, but pretty cool, for camping or the paranoid prepper.

Bunch of other DIY versions using sat dishes.   Helped kill an hour today 😂

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that

Unless you really read the label well ,  you would never know they were pastry dough. I will get some later today. 

So many different things you can make with them.

Wife found fillo dough for me on Shopee

It comes all rolled up, without unrolling it , I cut five inches and the rest I use  vacuumed food saver to seal it and freeze it for future use. 

when you roll out the section you cut you get strips 5" wide and I would say 12" long,

You only need two or three of those sheets  of fillo dough . (usually there are about a dozen very think sheets)

you can either spray olive oil on them or brush melted butter, 

you place what ever filling you want at one end and then you start folding, corner to corner, Like folding a flag. 

Which is why you only need 2-3 layer strips. because by the time you are done folding you have several layers. 

The picture below is not mine, I could not readily find one of mine (just to picture what I mean)

image.png.85debbf6b6f73c1f06740d2762c3acb5.png

Makro has them as well. They make nice sausage rolls too.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swerve said:

I made hummus today.  It's cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  Good for dips and sandwiches. I rehydrate dried beans rather than use canned chickpeas.

I make hummus all the time too. Thai eggplant is great for making baba ganoush as well. Absolutely delicious with carrot sticks. I broil the olive oil brushed eggplant at maybe 160-170 C until caramelized. 

IMG_20221217_133556.thumb.jpeg.90297ae6c7fa5dd7055c626ba329990f.jpeg

LOL, think this is baba ganoush, but might be hummus. Travel snack.

IMG_20220714_082704.thumb.jpeg.c64c99828d4f91a07ba3dd87ea841383.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Never cooked a meal in my life......but I'm only 67.

Me too, never ironed anything either, except some dollars before going to cambodia,  Mrs was too busy doing my  packing, obviously,.and then she had the washing up to take care of.   So I selflessly broke the habit of a lifetime to help her out No big deal it was a one off emergency, 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

I guess the potatoes are the vegetables , 

Yea we do have the issue of being from different countries and using different terms 

By "top burner" I meant the oven. It has a bottom berner, and a top burner, 

I guess you might be right because you use the top burner to roast and grill. 

I bake with the bottom burner because the pan is between the food and the  fire, preventing burning.

Then after the chicken and potatoes have been cooked, I turn the top burner on to caramelize the potatoes and Chicken skin. You need to be careful and keep an eye when you have the top burner because it is easy to burn the food.  

Never cooked. 50 baht for meat and noodles. 

40 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Will there not be women in a post apocalyptic world ?   

Given the way men will have screwed it up, they will probably settle for parthenogenesis.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Given the way men will have screwed it up, they will probably settle for parthenogenesis.

nah! in a post apocalyptic world they will need all the bargaining powers they have, a return to  nature  in its most fundamental form  would be the only way  forward for our species . Feminism would end  along with all the woke rubbish, and the male would inevitably occupy the dominant position..  Cooking ironing cleaning along with fertility and a willingness to copulate would be valuable assets for a woman hoping to survive up to 40.  After that they will  really need to up their game

13 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

LOL, think this is baba ganoush, but might be hummus. Travel snack

The best thing about this meal is it's name!!

Baba ganoush , I just love saying it,  "Hey don't be a baba ganoush"  LOL

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Will there not be women in a post apocalyptic world ?   

How else would it be "Post apocalyptic"  LOL

If there is shopping, there will be women!!

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Some kind of tamale or sausage or pasta? 

I thought italian sausage in tomato sauce,but your guess is as good as mine. :)

Which gives me an idea for a new thread  titled "what the heck is it? "

where we post pictures of thing we cooked with no caption  and we try to figure out 

"What the heck is it" 

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been making these the past 3 days.  Make 2 a day, so we only eat 2 a day.

Apple turnovers, ingredients;

Apples, any kind

Brown sugar

Cinnamon

Corn starch/flour

Butter

Puff pastry squares/PP (Makro)

Amounts depends how much you make.  I used 4 apples (medium size) and least expensive.   Since adding sugar & cinnamon.  Actually best apples I've bought so far ... go figure.

About 2 tbsp of butter, apples, in saucepan, soften them up for about 2 or 3 mins, add 1 or 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon to start & about 1 tsp of corn starch, and continue mixing for about 2 ish minutes.   Taste & adjust.  Let cool down.

Take PP out of freezing,  trim 2 edge sides of plastic off, (make a folder) while keeping PP covered so not to dry out.  Wait till soft to the touch,  Add filling in center, wet the one edge lightly with water, and simply fold over.  Press to seal.  

Preheat air fryer 200C/5mins, then place in, on greased foil, cook at 180C/5 mins, flip, and another 5 mins.

If in a regular full size convection over, probably take 30+ mins to finish, depending on your oven.

If wanting a frosting/icing, then simple;   X/icing sugar, wee bit of milk, very wee bit of vanilla, if having, stir till desired viscosity. 

4 apples made 6 so far, probably got enough for 4 more.

image.png.a668cb83b2777cf3cc0a8cd079a37023.png

I hope you are proud of yourself!! You have ruined  me for life,

Went to Makro yesterday and got some of those pastry puffs. 

Today Taco ground beef with grated cheddar cheese and home made Hot Sauce  

image.png.c4e1f217e92f09c30fd25191e2b15ff3.png

Not the prettiest but taste good

Tomorrow pizzaroles or are they called Pizzaronis?  :laugh: (Tomato sauce cheese and pepperoni)

Edited by sirineou
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1