What are you cooking today?

Many great suggestions of home cooking here. Well done gentlemen (or ladies ?).

Far more healthy to make food at home rather then catering the highly salty-oily-spicy restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

Made these today, trying to use up  my whole wheat flour, as not a fan using in my bread, even at 20%.   Strangely, when O&A, I make a point to use 'Royal' whole wheat bread when getting my bologna & chips sandwich fix on :cheesy:

Anyway, they're easy to tasty & tasty.  No photos of mine, as not as uniform as hers, using a wobbly pizza cutter, and I forgot to 'fork' them, which didn't make much difference.  Guessing you could use AP flour, if not having whole wheat.

Other recipes call for adding cheese & such, and can really personalize them, also a nice plus.

Use to eat a lot of Ritz crackers, but they are so unhealthy, if eating more than 2  :cheesy:

• 3 weeks later...

For you canned tuna eaters out there (very rare for me), I found this quite interesting.  

If you're only making tuna salad sandwich, simply buy the cheapest.  Skipjack more flavorful, and Albacore, milder if you like your added seasonings to come through more.

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They look very tasty. :thumbsup:

They are. Served with mashed potatoes , carrots , broccoli and gravy.  

I have to make the pastry in the air con bedroom as not cool enough in the kitchen. Keep in freezer and only eat as a special treat.

• Like 1

Just made almond peanut butter, and that take a lot longer than 'peanut' butter.  Compliments the homemade black current jelly that been here a little long.

Another large jar of pickles, as down to one now, and like anther to back it up.

Wife making bread, and simply refuses to use a scale.  Showed her a vid, so if not using a scale, at least 'fluff' up the flour first.

Learned how important that was using a scale at chemical factory, making solder flux.  Also at 2 bakeries, where everything is simply weighed.   EVERYTHING, as measuring cups, spoons simply aren't consistently accurate.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For you canned tuna eaters out there (very rare for me), I found this quite interesting.  

If you're only making tuna salad sandwich, simply buy the cheapest.  Skipjack more flavorful, and Albacore, milder if you like your added seasonings to come through more.

I buy tuna steak in brine. 

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Just made almond peanut butter, and that take a lot longer than 'peanut' butter.  Compliments the homemade black current jelly that been here a little long.

Another large jar of pickles, as down to one now, and like anther to back it up.

Wife making bread, and simply refuses to use a scale.  Showed her a vid, so if not using a scale, at least 'fluff' up the flour first.

Learned how important that was using a scale at chemical factory, making solder flux.  Also at 2 bakeries, where everything is simply weighed.   EVERYTHING, as measuring cups, spoons simply aren't consistently accurate.

I like this guys recipes but he is too chatty  , probably more of a me problem, I am not the most patient guy in the world. 

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I like this guys recipes but he is too chatty  , probably more of a me problem, I am not the most patient guy in the world. 

Yea ... I had seen a better, more the point, may have even been a short, but couldn't find it.  Just something I wanted to show the wife.  Get her to finally start using a scale.  Some of her baking 'creations' are not consistent :coffee1:

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@Michaelaway I actually used this recipe yesterday, but for some reason, it was a sticky mess, not even a shaggy ball of dough when done mixing in the food processor.   Not sure what I did wrong.  Had to add quite a bit of flour to be able to handle it.  Grilled up and tasted fine though when done ... go figure.

I've used both recipes, good results, usually consistent 🙄

The one posted already, and this one ...

image.png.3a02c56bdc54a8df456852a7db8d9de1.png

Here's another one I've used... though cut and roll out smaller.

I actually prefer flatbread, which when I know I'm going to use/want, just cut out what I need from my bread recipe, when making.   Since my usually loaf weighs about 870 grams, I'll cut 400gr off for 4 flatbreads, then just stick the rest in a small bread pan, for a smaller loaf.

Use olive oil instead of flour when rolling out, as easier to work with, and avoid the extra flour on the grill/griddle from burning, needing to be brushed off.  Since a yeast recipe, it does take longer, but I make bread a couple times a week.

Wife wanted tortilla yesterday.

This is simplest and best recipe I use for bread.  I use a stand mixer, but same results.  Just one loaf instead of banquettes.

@ 7:58 of the vid .

Watching that vid, I see what I did wrong yesterday, I used the wrong blade in the processor.   If you don't have food processor or stand mixer, all can be done by hand, just takes longer.

For flatbread, after the first rise, I cut what I want for a loaf, then shape in pan for 2nd rise.  Then the 400gr for flat bread, I'll do four 100gr balls, give them a coating of olive oil, let them rise on the table (covered) for 20-30 minutes, then roll out using oil to avoid sticking to table or rolling pin, to about 1 cm or shy of 1/2 inch, then place on griddle.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

We had Shabushi today, wife loves it, I'm indifferent, but this month they have added salmon to the menu, so if you like Shabushi, and you like salmon, it's worth the trip...

I like Salmon as well

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I like Salmon as well

The salmon was actually pretty decent, if a bit thin, but it is all you can eat. There were also some nice collars, which are great for soup, but you had to watch the belt for those. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sweet tooth cheat from my healthy low carb/sugar normal munching.  Hey, I did use 3 XL eggs, and about a cup of store bought mix (Imperial) for my Pandan Pancakes.

Topped with butter, and hopefully the added fat & protein will help with that sugar spike ... well, that's what I'm telling myself :coffee1: 

image.png.e2829c00201b327cb608944f3b9c783a.png

Leftovers for a mid afternoon snack.   Wife whipped up a Ginger Pork & shroom thingy the other day.   Running out of different things to post :coffee1:

Think I need to do some experimenting soon 😎

image.png.f0b8694021c3a71d8e78f6399f91dddb.png

• Like 2