It seems that this forum has many members who's intellectually challenged

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I stopped reading hippopotamus, Nasty beasts. 

Interesting sidebar. Hipo means horse in Greek , and Potamus means river, so River horse. 

I think they were sold to them as such by the Roma horse traders , when they tried to charge the romand it was carnage . 

Hens the enduring  "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia " phobia . even now  more than 2,000 years later Greeks will go nowhere Hippipotamuses 

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Your sufistication know no bounds , Unfortunately at the lower end of the spectrum. :tongue:

Definitely a top ten tune . Excellent for weddings and other festive occasions and damn good to dance to.    

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Your sufistication know no bounds , Unfortunately at the lower end of the spectrum. :tongue:

Definitely a top ten tune . Excellent for weddings and other festive occasions and damn good to dance to.    

And your sense of humour is non existent with such replies. (Oh, 'sOPHistcation knowS' by the way)

Your spectrum of music is obviously different than mine. Flanders & Swann were so clever & witty. Look them up on You Tube. Paved the way for Fascinating Aida etc.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:53 AM, mfd101 said:

The problem with the 2 emojis is that it's usually unclear what they mean in any particular case: Does it mean he/she is confused/sad at the content of my message? or at the fact that I said it? Or is it a generalized feeling of sadness & resignation at the state of the world?

It would be much more useful to everyone if the 2 emojis were replaced with signs for "I don't agree' & 'I can't understand a word of what you just said'.

yes, like a 👎

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And your sense of humour is non existent with such replies. (Oh, 'sOPHistcation knowS' by the way)

Your spectrum of music is obviously different than mine. Flanders & Swann were so clever & witty. Look them up on You Tube. Paved the way for Fascinating Aida etc.

I must admit that I limit my my musical taste  to the classics 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I must admit that I limit my my musical taste  to the classics 

Classic? This is an actor? pretending to be funny. Funny?

I know I was brought up with The Goons, Round the Horne, Benny Hill, Monty P, the Home Service & Radio 4, so much really funny and clever humour. And then of course The Comedians on ITV. Now THAT's Classic for me.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Classic? This is an actor? pretending to be funny. Funny?

I know I was brought up with The Goons, Round the Horne, Benny Hill, Monty P, the Home Service & Radio 4, so much really funny and clever humour. And then of course The Comedians on ITV. Now THAT's Classic for me.

You are taking this too seriously . 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2024 at 11:08 AM, ezzra said:

Thanks for the grammar corrections, I stand corrected.. and yes, too many posters are giving confused emojis

when there's nothing to be confused about so I'm thinking here, are they really that hard on

understanding a simple posts or just trying to annoy and anger other posters?...

Sorry....I'm confused by "a simple posts"

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, johng said:

Bothered by what exactly ?

That someone on an internet forum doesn't agree/understand with your view/comments  or that the emojis are now anonymous ?

TBH it is not 'been bothered' per se by the emoji ones post receives. Sometimes it's an annoyance to see these emojis appearing on a perfectly normal, simple to understand post written by someone else!

If someone on an internet forum doesn't agree/understand with your view/comments they can always request for a clarification, instead of flaming the poster or clicking on an emoji. This way the forum gets more lively, informative and interesting - sharing knowledge is a great positive feature on a public forum such as AN. When a member asks a question, go find it on Google is not the correct response, is my opinion.

The grammar police is an absolute waste of time. Here in, we all are not native English speakers. Hence, our grammar & spellings might be not 100%, how ever much we are careful. Even experts in languages can make mistakes. We are all human, prone to error!

Habitual inappropriate emoji clickers and grammar policing might be linked to some psychological issue, by which they try to intimidate other members (?) - but of course that has to be confirmed by a medical professional.

Just my 2 cents!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, johng said:

@SAFETY FIRST  I went back and checked... and contrary to my previous post I did indeed give you a confused emoji,  your psychic skills are top notch :clap2:

I gave you a thanks, I hope I don't offend you. 😱

Been here for many years, I can pick the CrackPots 🤣

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Been here for many years, I can pick the CrackPots 🤣

You sure can !!

Could you use your abilities to pick the lottery numbers too ? 

Then I'd have some money for Sirineou's baby

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

so i got to think 

that it maybe has to do with a low In IQ of some of the members here and judging by the responses so far, I'm right...

Or merely the low "In IQ" and EQ of the poster himself. Even if the language of the post is simple and clear, if grammatically incorrect, the logic and rationale aren't. Readers can't understand how the poster arrived at such a cynical, negative, curmudgeonly, stereotypical, ultimately ignorant viewpoint. It's therefore confusing, not to mention tiresome. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BigStar said:

Or merely the low "In IQ" and EQ of the poster himself. Even if the language of the post is simple and clear, if grammatically incorrect, the logic and rationale aren't. Readers can't understand how the poster arrived at such a cynical, negative, curmudgeonly, stereotypical, ultimately ignorant viewpoint. It's therefore confusing, not to mention tiresome. 

Hey, and thank you for investing big part of your brain to describe my rationals for my OP, yes, i might have on occasions, 

made grammar errors or constructed sentences incorrectly, but this is a public forum, not the linguistic academy, I wasn't

born in a English speaking country, but i do speak 4 languages including Thai, can many here say the same, including you,

Mr. perfect English?...

• Thanks 2