Surge in Covid-19 infections and rising death toll in Thailand

snoop1130

19 hours ago, impulse said:

You can blame them, or you can blame the gub'ment and Big Pharma for the Orwellian way they handled the pandemic, destroying the public's trust.

Anyone remember "Get vaccinated and you won't get sick"?  Or, "Get the shot and you can visit grandma"?  They've changed the goalposts so often that a huge percentage of the people don't trust them.  And probably won't for years.

The Government enquiry into the UKs measures to Covid is generally suggesting not enough was done, and what was done was done too late. This cost a lot of lives. A result of people with Oxbridge honours degrees in English literature and Greek poetry, who are sensitive to public opinion, making decisions on virus and epidemic issues. 

I must agree the early vaccination publicity made me feel, get it done, and all will be well, it will be over.... obviously not the case. 

19 hours ago, sungod said:

We did ok in the 60s, 70s.............

Well I got the measles and chicken pox, as all kids did in the early 60s too.....

In the USA it was causing 450 deaths per year, it was only 1 in a 1000 cases, but still perhaps an unacceptable number. Measles can lead to more serious things  serious complications including ear infections, pneumonia (lung infection) and encephalitis. Lots of bad things going on in the 60s, kids got polio too.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Some people get away with it easily and some others, not so much. I've managed to avoid it for 3 years but... seems you can run but you can't hide, and despite all precautions...

I've still got 2 lines on the test for a week now, and it's not been a walk in a park. 40.5C fever, severely sore throat, running nose and sneezing, possibly reason for some of the worst headache/migraine I've ever had, aching all over the body, loss of taste and smell and totally exhausted the whole time. A couple of days into it, phlegm, cough, discomfort moving to lungs and having difficulty breathing at times.

So while still having symptoms and 2 lines on the test - anyone above saying it's innocent cold - let's meet up in a small, poorly ventilated place, with no masks on. Come on, don't chicken out now.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Agree. Some people get away with it easily and some others, not so much. I've managed to avoid it for 3 years but... seems you can run but you can't hide, and despite all precautions...

I've still got 2 lines on the test for a week now, and it's not been a walk in a park. 40.5C fever, severely sore throat, running nose and sneezing, possibly reason for some of the worst headache/migraine I've ever had, aching all over the body, loss of taste and smell and totally exhausted the whole time. A couple of days into it, phlegm, cough, discomfort moving to lungs and having difficulty breathing at times.

So while still having symptoms and 2 lines on the test - anyone above saying it's innocent cold - let's meet up in a small, poorly ventilated place, with no masks on. Come on, don't chicken out now.

How many vaccines and boosters you had?

34 minutes ago, sungod said:

How many vaccines and boosters you had?

Had 2x AZ+1x Pfizer. But that was a long while back...

Checking vaccine certificate:

AZ (A1016)- 29 July 2021

AZ (A10061) - 21 October 2021

Comirnaty (FN7874) - Pfizer - 9 February 2022

This is my first time catching COVID.

Edited by tomazbodner

5 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

You still REALLY believe that the vaccine STOPPED transmission??????????????? I would have thought that old chestnut was debunked years ago...Seems not. Must be nice to 'believe' 

The Covid vaccines reduce transmission of the virus, through a couple of diffetent ways:

If a vaccinated person is infected, they have a shorter infectious period.

Vaccines reduce the possibility of infection in the first place.

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Had 2x AZ+1x Pfizer. But that was a long while back...

Checking vaccine certificate:

AZ (A1016)- 29 July 2021

AZ (A10061) - 21 October 2021

Comirnaty (FN7874) - Pfizer - 9 February 2022

This is my first time catching COVID.

Vaccinations 2 or 3 years ago won't help you much now, as the virus has evolved.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Vaccinations 2 or 3 years ago won't you much now, as the virus has evolved.

I'm aware, obviously, but vaccine mimics the real virus infection, right? So if I got actual virus, that should be same or better than getting a vaccine, wouldn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm aware, obviously, but vaccine mimics the real virus infection, right? So if I got actual virus, that should be same or better than getting a vaccine, wouldn't it?

Until the virus evolves again. Then, you're back to zero.

16 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

No. Depending on your age, contracting COVID can still make someone, especially older people and those with health conditions, seriously ill, as well as trigger various potential follow-on health problems including so-called Long COVID.

The current vaccines don't provide 100% protection, but they do provide significant protection against serious COVID illness/hospitalization and death, and also reduce the risks of Long COVID. At the same time, the risks of serious adverse reactions to the COVID vaccine have been shown to be very rare.

In general, public health authorities vastly advise that getting vaccinated is the best way to protect against COVID, even though it's also true that a person once infected with COVID does tend to be protected against reinfection for some months thereafter.

"Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is a safer, more reliable way to build protection than getting sick with COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination helps protect people by creating an immune response without the potentially severe illness or post-COVID conditions that can be associated with COVID-19 infection."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

AND

Is natural immunity better than a vaccine?

"Natural immunity is the antibody protection your body creates against a germ once you’ve been infected with it. Natural immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 is no better than vaccine-acquired immunity, and it comes with far greater risks. Studies show that natural immunity to the virus weakens over time and does so faster than immunity provided by COVID-19 vaccination."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No. Depending on your age, contracting COVID can still make someone, especially older people and those with health conditions, seriously ill, as well as trigger various potential follow-on health problems including so-called Long COVID.

The current vaccines don't provide 100% protection, but they do provide significant protection against serious COVID illness/hospitalization and death, and also reduce the risks of Long COVID. At the same time, the risks of serious adverse reactions to the COVID vaccine have been shown to be very rare.

In general, public health authorities vastly advise that getting vaccinated is the best way to protect against COVID, even though it's also true that a person once infected with COVID does tend to be protected against reinfection for some months thereafter.

"Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is a safer, more reliable way to build protection than getting sick with COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccination helps protect people by creating an immune response without the potentially severe illness or post-COVID conditions that can be associated with COVID-19 infection."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

AND

Is natural immunity better than a vaccine?

"Natural immunity is the antibody protection your body creates against a germ once you’ve been infected with it. Natural immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 is no better than vaccine-acquired immunity, and it comes with far greater risks. Studies show that natural immunity to the virus weakens over time and does so faster than immunity provided by COVID-19 vaccination."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

Just for the record - I didn't intend to get infected. In fact, I was avoiding it quite successfully for 3 years. But now that I had it, I hope at least it provides some protection for some months to come. If I had a choice, i would have chosen not to get it. But now that I already did... I'll take that as a "booster", hopefully.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Just for the record - I didn't intend to get infected. In fact, I was avoiding it quite successfully for 3 years. But now that I had it, I hope at least it provides some protection for some months to come. If I had a choice, i would have chosen not to get it. But now that I already did... I'll take that as a "booster", hopefully.

Once you have a COVID infection (symptomatic or not), generally, public health folks say you shouldn't be vaccinated again at least for several months thereafter.

If I recently had COVID-19, do I need a 2023–2024 vaccine?

"If you recently had COVID-19, the CDC recommends waiting about three months before getting this updated vaccine."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Very sensible approach IMHO, a good friend of mine is a medical Doctor in Singapore, he told me that catching COVID is a natural booster and dont worry about vaccine boosters as I am fit and healthy. I'd rather listen to him than the COVID enthusiasts on here who believe anything they read and just cut and paste.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/24/2024 at 6:34 PM, steven100 said:

Just continue to wear a mask,  wash your hands regularly and keep social distance from others.

If one continues with these precautions they are less likely to catch the virus.

Try to keep up instead of spreading disinformation. 

Last week Fauci admitted that the distancing order was pulled out of their collective as ses.   Why wash your hands when the virus is spread via aerosol?  

"He testified that the lab leak hypothesis — which was often suppressed — was, in fact, not a conspiracy theory. Further, the social distancing recommendations forced on Americans ‘sort of just appeared’ and were likely not based on scientific data"

https://oversight.house.gov/release/wenstrup-releases-statement-following-dr-faucis-two-day-testimony/

It's a joy to play the iconoclast with such a despicable little turd. 

Edited by stats
misinformation claim removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

Last week Fauci admitted

I don't think we know WHAT Dr. Fauci "admitted" during his two days of closed door testimony before this House committee, because many days later, AFAICT, they still haven't made public the full and actual transcript of Fauci's remarks...

But, we do know a couple of things in the meantime:

1. The Democrats on the committee have already accused the Republicans of distorting Fauci's testimony via the Republican-released "summaries", as follows:

Democrats accuse GOP of distorting Fauci’s testimony from hours-long meeting

01/09/24 7:15 PM ET

Democrats who took part in the two-day interview with former White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci said Republicans had distorted what the former government official told lawmakers on his first day.

Dingell said the GOP statements following the first day were “disinformation.”

“They did not reflect the discussion that — I was feeling at the end of the day when I left here, that it had been a respectful discussion and we had had good conversations,” Dingell said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4398661-democrats-accuse-gop-of-distorting-faucis-testimony-from-hours-long-meeting/

and 2. The Republicans' claimed notion that Fauci admitted the CDC's standards of social distancing during the pandemic were some kind of made-up standard flies in the face of the federal government's own documents, including this U.S. GAO report from May 2020 summarizing the known research on "Social Distancing During Pandemics."

And the summary of that GAO report includes the following:

"A CDC guideline based on historical studies of selected infections says that the area of highest risk is within 3 feet of an infected person. Some studies suggest a buffer of 6 feet may further reduce risk." [bold emphasis added]

"The scientific basis for these recommendations comes from studies in fields such as fluid mechanics, epidemiology, and microbiology. For example, several studies estimated the velocity and distance traveled by droplets of different sizes expelled by sneezing, coughing, and breathing. These studies showed that sneezing and coughing can propel droplets more than 2 meters, with sneezing possibly propelling them further, and breathing less than 1 meter (fig. 2)."

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-20-545sp

So clearly, there was some thinking and consideration and reliance on past research that went into the federal government's social distancing policy during the pandemic, contrary to the claims of these House Republicans.

And 3. The individual right-wing Republicans on this particular committee -- including Marjorie Taylor Greene, James Comer, and Ronny Jackson -- have a history of putting out statements that, when reviewed by independent parties, don't exactly hold up to the known and provable facts.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?speaker=marjorie-taylor-greene

https://www.factcheck.org/person/james-comer/

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?speaker=ronny-jackson

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/politics/ronny-jackson-dod-inspector-general-report/index.html

So, even though right-wing media didn't wait, let's the rest of us wait and see what the actual Fauci transcripts really say.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Try to keep up instead of spreading disinformation. 

Last week Fauci admitted that the distancing order was pulled out of their collective as ses.   Why wash your hands when the virus is spread via aerosol?  

"He testified that the lab leak hypothesis — which was often suppressed — was, in fact, not a conspiracy theory. Further, the social distancing recommendations forced on Americans ‘sort of just appeared’ and were likely not based on scientific data"

https://oversight.house.gov/release/wenstrup-releases-statement-following-dr-faucis-two-day-testimony/

It's a joy to play the iconoclast with such a despicable little turd. 

i really don't care for your US politics,  I care my health like everyone else.    I will continue to wash my hands and wear a mask and keep my distance,   you on the other hand can continue with your conspiracy.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

i really don't care for your US politics,  I care my health like everyone else.    I will continue to wash my hands and wear a mask and keep my distance,   you on the other hand can continue with your conspiracy.  

Conspicuously absent is your pledge to get another booster.

I'm not American and this isn't about politics for me; it's about freedom and informed consent.  I have no desire to remove the mask from your face, nor to have you blowing gently into my ear. Wash your hands as often as you like. The skin is a selectively permeable membrane and smart people use plenty of hand sanitizer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1