Songkhla Revives Robusta Coffee Cultivation

0024474384dc99b2504218f68f80f874.jpg

SONGKLHA (NNT) - Robusta coffee was once a popular choice throughout Thailand. However, its production saw a decline as the growth of rubber plantations took precedence economically. Songkhla province, along with its agricultural office, recognized the importance of this local coffee strain and took significant steps to rejuvenate its cultivation. The goal was to preserve the area's unique identity and boost the local economy.

A major shift occurred in 2016 when the former governor of Songkhla, Songphon Sawattham, began endorsing coffee cultivation in Ban Not subdistrict. This marked a new chapter for the Robusta coffee industry in the area. By 2019, a community enterprise focusing on coffee processing was set up in Saba Yoi, forming a network involving the entire district. The initiative primarily supports local farmers and community members in the production and marketing of their coffee.

A key figure in this resurgence is "Grandma Chim," who owns a coffee shop in Saba Yoi. She embodies the traditional approach to coffee production, overseeing every aspect from planting to serving the final cup. The elder later expanded her business by producing genuine honey from her own garden.

The resurgence of Robusta coffee farming in Songkhla signifies a rejuvenation of the area's cultural legacy, providing a lasting economic benefit for residents and preserving the unique flavor profile of the region's coffee.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Full story: NNT 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

......and preserving the unique flavor profile of the region's coffee.

Has anyone tasted coffee brewed from locally grown beans? Opinion?

Considering Vietnam as a significant Robusta bean grower, it is grown commercially for export. I read a statistic, albeit long ago, that Nescafe sourced over 40% of their beans from Vietnam.

What then of Songkla. Beans for export or domestic consumption?

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Has anyone tasted coffee brewed from locally grown beans? Opinion?

Considering Vietnam as a significant Robusta bean grower, it is grown commercially for export. I read a statistic, albeit long ago, that Nescafe sourced over 40% of their beans from Vietnam.

What then of Songkla. Beans for export or domestic consumption?

personally I think robusta coffee is revolting, where ever it comes from, likewise nescafe especially the standard version.  It therefore comes as no surprise to me that nescafe are a large buyer of robusta beans.  I would not drink either of them if you paid me.  There is actually one worse than nescafe,  iis that Thai favorite "super coffee"  try it at your peril, truly nasty stuff

• Agree 1

If you see wiki, Thailand is on 25 in 2019 of EXPORT.

All is about quality and maybe Songkhla does have good areas for good coffee. Climate and soil are important for quality.

Also red once North of Thailand has the Civet cats, which eat the beans and poo it out again, then having the most expensive coffee.

Kopi Luwak. Should try it once, probably in Thailand as it could be way cheaper then here(125 grams for 48 $). Only then to find.

You need water to make coffee, but for me, sure not too much.

In Satun, last year found coffee shop, it was really good. No, didnt ask for brand or what, stupid, should have asked.

BUT taste also effected on water amount, got at one point my coffee with too much water. As i came there regularly, I asked them to use only 3/4 cup of water and that really differs. It was really like an angel peeing over the tongue and I think, it was (logically) Thai coffee bean.

Thats why I visited them regularly. They also made lovely food, so done deal. Always had 2 plates of food and 2 coffee, wife just one plate and mostly tea, for just 300 baht! Loved the place. If you are there, Oasis is the name of the shop.

And IF the have the banana cake, get it !

And my coffee here isnt really the same as in Satun where it was, to be honest, Satun way better.

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

personally I think robusta coffee is revolting, where ever it comes from, likewise nescafe especially the standard version.  It therefore comes as no surprise to me that nescafe are a large buyer of robusta beans.  I would not drink either of them if you paid me.  There is actually one worse than nescafe,  iis that Thai favorite "super coffee"  try it at your peril, truly nasty stuff

Yes, I agree with your cpmments on Nescafe and Robusta beans in general which.

Brewed coffee is highly individual when it comes to taste. The quality of the water makes so much difference.

Fear not, I avoid Thai powdered coffee combinations like the plague.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

If you see wiki, Thailand is on 25 in 2019 of EXPORT.

All is about quality and maybe Songkhla does have good areas for good coffee. Climate and soil are important for quality.

Also red once North of Thailand has the Civet cats, which eat the beans and poo it out again, then having the most expensive coffee.

Kopi Luwak. Should try it once, probably in Thailand as it could be way cheaper then here(125 grams for 48 $). Only then to find.

You need water to make coffee, but for me, sure not too much.

In Satun, last year found coffee shop, it was really good. No, didnt ask for brand or what, stupid, should have asked.

BUT taste also effected on water amount, got at one point my coffee with too much water. As i came there regularly, I asked them to use only 3/4 cup of water and that really differs. It was really like an angel peeing over the tongue and I think, it was (logically) Thai coffee bean.

Thats why I visited them regularly. They also made lovely food, so done deal. Always had 2 plates of food and 2 coffee, wife just one plate and mostly tea, for just 300 baht! Loved the place. If you are there, Oasis is the name of the shop.

And IF the have the banana cake, get it !

And my coffee here isnt really the same as in Satun where it was, to be honest, Satun way better.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

personally I think robusta coffee is revolting,

Robusta is caustic hair removal potion. Arabica is generally smother depending on the verity and other variables. My personal preference is the typica variety, though challenging finding it grown and roasted at its optimal potential.

Throw that stuff away already, what a waste of time. Just produce proper arabica or leave it. Why does it seems so hard for Thai farmers to grow something else, it is like they have zero imagination at all. Maybe that is Thais in general actually lol. They all seem to be copy machines.

The old lady with a coffeeshop, that likely tastes like something to flush your inside with on the toilet right after, is in charge of the production ..... Similar to all the Thais in charge of weed farms, it is that bad and low potent stuff, that the original Thai brick is better (which comes from Laos).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Arabica doesn't like it hot. Thailand is too hot for it to do well. Maybe could grow on a mountain top. Coffee producers are warning than rising world temperatures could see arabica become a rarity.