Importing a car into Thailand (let's assume it comes in overland)

I am old enough to know the old rules and the new rules but I am asking here about practicality.

Say I have a beloved older car which I get into Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos or a border country etc.

What are the immediate issues and what are the medium and longer term issues and what are the potential options.

Please, don't clog this up with 999 posts of "cannot be done" or similar. I know the 99%, I'm looking for the 1%.

Leave it taxed in other country and bring in on temp import.

It will have to leave the country once a year though.

This is how many of the high end teams that run in the Thailand super Series operate and is why there is a Sepang race on the calendar.

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Leave it taxed in other country and bring in on temp import.

It will have to leave the country once a year though.

This is how many of the high end teams that run in the Thailand super Series operate and is why there is a Sepang race on the calendar.

I think the issue is that import tax in neighbouring countries is fairly similar to Thailand, the difficulty then becomes getting the car into Singapore, Malaysia, Laos etc.

57 minutes ago, SGD said:

Please, don't clog this up with 999 posts of "cannot be done" or similar. I know the 99%, I'm looking for the 1%.

My wife can do it for you. The fee would be around 3 million baht with about 2.5 million going towards various payments.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SGD said:

I am old enough to know the old rules and the new rules but I am asking here about practicality.

Say I have a beloved older car which I get into Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos or a border country etc.

What are the immediate issues and what are the medium and longer term issues and what are the potential options.

If you don't want to clog up the thread, tell us what you know (nice for people who don't and want to) and what you are missing.

From the (admittedly very few) instances that I've heard of, the love for the "beloved car" quickly vanished when either the cost (shipping fees but especially import taxes) were considered. I also believe that, at least at some point, imported cars (permanently) must essentially be brand new, so difficult for them to have accumulated too much love in the first place.

Go to meeting here;

https://www.classic-car-friends-pattaya.com/meetings/

IF they like you and your car somebody may tell how to do it....

Monthly MEETING
We have since 2016 a monthly “Classic Car Friends Meeting”.
We meet always on the  first monthly Thursday from 5pm until aprox. 7pm for dinner and drinks.
Program: Road Movies from the 60ies/70ies, YOU TUBE classic videos, latest news from our members about car restoration and projects, cars for sale or receive mechanical solutions for your CLASSIC Car.
Boon Kanchana Road, Soi 2
20150 Pattaya, Jomtien

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think the issue is that import tax in neighbouring countries is fairly similar to Thailand, the difficulty then becomes getting the car into Singapore, Malaysia, Laos etc.

SGB was not asking about that so your post is irrelevant.

if you're looking for the 1% solution.... you can either:

set up a company in the UK with low volume 'kit car' that can register the car as 'new' in the UK, then import as a restomod 'new' car, this is a known route, Maybe you could set this up from neighboring country instead 

or

keep it garaged in border town in Cambodia or Malaysia, drive it in temporarily, Limit is six months total per year time spent in Thailand, so two cars ought to cover it

Edited by digbeth

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 7:17 AM, SGD said:

For entry into Singapore, Malaysia you will need a carnet document unless you want to pay import duties of those countries

https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/content/onemotoring/home/driving/entering_and_exiting_singapore/foreign-vehicles-not-registered-in-malaysia.html

If you car has a UK reg plate apply here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-a-cpd-carnet

• Thumbs Up 1