Do you really need an onward flight?

A friend of mine flew to Thailand without visa, he got 30 days visa exempt without buying an onward flight outside Thailand. Airline company and the immigration didn't ask him anything. This is the second time that he fly to Thailand without an onward ticket 

This ^^^, it's the airline that will do the enforcing so you may not even be allowed to board.

"Ticket rental" sites are cheap insurance against being denied boarding.

• Like 2

Would be most unwise for your pal to risk on it being third time lucky in his case IMHO. It's the airline, rather than IMM, that he needs to worry about. Would just take a jobsworth airline check-in assistant in a particularly foul mood next time round to flatly deny him permission to board his oneway flight to BKK without an onward flight booking within the following 30 days.

• Like 1

I have been to Thailand so many times. Initially mostly with a tourist visa but in the past few years only visa exempt. Never been asked a return or forward air ticket by an airline or even by an Immigration officer. But I always have it with me, since I don't live in Thailand anymore but just come for long holidays. 

Edited by JemJem

1 hour ago, DFPhuket said:

I have a US passport and I'm on a Non-0 retirement visa. I flew into Thailand 11 times in 2023 on a one way ticket (or the second half of a round trip ticket). In 7 out of those 11 times I was asked about my onward ticket. Of course once I pointed out my re-entry permit I was ok

What should have occured is that you pointed to where the reentry permit was in your pp.

• Confused 1

Years ago a business class ticket bought in Thailand was much cheaper than one bought outside of Thailand. So you could fly into Thailand on points then buy a return out of Thailand. The airlines caught on to this so demanded to see a ticket out of Thailand. If you had a visa in your passport you could get around this requirement.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I have a US passport and I'm on a Non-0 retirement visa. I flew into Thailand 11 times in 2023 on a one way ticket (or the second half of a round trip ticket). In 7 out of those 11 times I was asked about my onward ticket. Of course once I pointed out my re-entry permit I was ok. 

What's supposed to happen is that the airline's check in screen should tell the check in agent the visa and other requirements they should check, based upon the passenger's citizenship and visa status. Some are more sloppy than others. 

I’ve only ever flown on EVA, China Air(Taiwan carrier), China Southern, Singapore air and KAL at least 20 times, 4x on tourist on arrival, the other flights with non-o stamp, 2 of which were round trip tickets all from SEA, LAX & SFO. Never been asked for a return ticket and I don’t recall the check-in counter ever looking at any other page than the main id page of the passport. Just wondering what airline/airport are asking for these return/onward vouchers?

Edited by novacova

3 hours ago, novacova said:

Just wondering what airline/airport are asking for these return/onward vouchers?

I've been asked on American, United, Qatar, AirAsia (sometimes, in some countries but not others), and Vietnam Air (who for my friend entered his onward trip confirmation into their system). There were likely others but I travel a lot and don't really keep track. I wasn't asked on Singapore Air or Scoot. 

11 hours ago, novacova said:

I’ve only ever flown on EVA, China Air(Taiwan carrier), China Southern, Singapore air and KAL at least 20 times, 4x on tourist on arrival, the other flights with non-o stamp, 2 of which were round trip tickets all from SEA, LAX & SFO. Never been asked for a return ticket and I don’t recall the check-in counter ever looking at any other page than the main id page of the passport. Just wondering what airline/airport are asking for these return/onward vouchers?

I fly out of SFO on EVA or Singapore 2-3 times per year.  I'm always travelling on a one way ticket, and I am always asked if I have a return ticket at check in.  Sometimes they will ask to see the ticket, but other times they will just ask me the date of the return flight.

I just recently flew YVR-BKK one way and was asked for my onward ticket by JL airlines. Showed them my e-ticket on phone. They seemed bothered but did not say anything.

In previous flights out of Vancouver have always been asked for onward ticket when flying one way. 

As I am not bothered by the amount I usually just get an AirAsia ticket from BKK to the cheapest destination, usually Cambodia. Think the last one cost me $40. Not a big deal. 

9 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

I fly out of SFO on EVA or Singapore 2-3 times per year.  I'm always travelling on a one way ticket, and I am always asked if I have a return ticket at check in.  Sometimes they will ask to see the ticket, but other times they will just ask me the date of the return flight.

My flights originate from a small city (possibly why they never asked) then transit through the terminals on original voucher except for LAX where rescreening through tsa at the international terminal, though still, ticket in hand and to the gate scan and board. 

Like Clint says, when you walk up to the departure ticket counter:  “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?” Well, do you...?'”

Flying visa exempt, I get asked about 1/3 the time in my 10 entries since Covid.  Not, of course, when it's the outgoing leg of a R/T ticket on the same airline and they can see it on their screen...  About 75% of the time if you exclude those.  So I wouldn't risk it unless I had an app to buy a ticket on the spot.  Mostly Chinese airlines and Scoot.

Never asked by immigration, but I always wear a collared shirt, long pants and a smile.  And I have a pretty clean record of coming and going...