Pita unveils the Move Forward party’s strategic roadmap for 2024

snoop1130

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder what his position is on the recently announced tax reform.

Its a way for the government to raise  a $hit load of money off foreigners , Do you think he would disappeove

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, still kicking said:

My point is what I wrote.

I don't see that you have made a point, you have merely reminded me of two of the main reasons I originally came here,  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I don't see that you have made a point, you have merely reminded me of two of the main reasons I originally came here,  

Oh yes, all the temples and clean beaches nothing to do with cheap living and girls.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I doubt whether he has even given it a thought.

If you look at the tax codes, thresholds and various allowances and exemptions it will have, at most, a marginal effect upon the vast majority of Western expatriates.

It will effect those wealthy Thais playing the "keep their money working overseas game"; and probably lead to a whole new genre of lucrative accountancy, both formal and informal, which will not touch upon expatriates.

Mind you, cries of "tax my pension and I will be off" do inject a certain drama into the discussion!

As you say it probably won't end up decimating peoples pensions, and the whole issue has in my opinion been  somewhat over dramatised , this is often the case when people with too much time on their hands ,get a bit worried  and start panic mongering, on forums like this

However, any accompanying bureaucracy, and associated paperwork requirements, could well become a pain in the ar$e for people, given the various authorities involved, and their  well established practice of deliberately  misinterpreting the rules as they see fit, purely  in order to cause maximum inconvenience , and /or creating opportunities for  squeezing a bit of tea money out of us

13 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

7. To abolish the RTP and replace it with a real police force, one with civilian oversight.

Maybe they should make it app based like Grab. Apps are the only thing that has been able to have any effect on Thailands entrenched taxi "mafia"

13 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

7. To abolish the RTP and replace it with a real police force, one with civilian oversight.

Might fall under #4: decentralization of authorities.

For example the breakup of RTP currently organized soley under the national police commission into civilian autonomous semi-districts, districts, provinces and then  national government. Funding (ie., taxation) would follow accordingly. Decentralization also makes quick military coup control over the police force much more difficult.

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

This place is a cesspool, nothing attracted me to it, other than loyalty to my family, this is the most miserable place on Earth! I would welcome transitioning into the 21st century, where SAFETY/laws/rules/regulations are expected, embraced, and enforced.

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

Better? -----> "The most miserable place on Earth that pretends to be some type of wonderful and desirable haven"

Thailand fails at the pure basics in a 21st Century country, no clean air, no clean water, travelling on Thai roads is beyond dangerous, you can't even safely cross a street in a crosswalk (or sidewalk in some places), building regulations are scary at best, education is one of the worst in the developing world, culture of caste-worshipping zombies, rampant corruption (embraced by all), a perverted Buddhist society, culture of lawlessness, Etc..Etc...Etc. 

I admire your loyalty to your family, I would not be prepared to live somewhere I thought so badly of, for anybody,    Obviously your family are more than happy  to live here in spite of all the negative aspects you have listed,  Maybe its you who need to adapt, or even move on, We only get one life and to live it tainted by misery is such a waste

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And make it into an exact copy of the miserable country you left, Is that what anybody really wants ?  The closer it gets to the 21st century the less it will resemble the place that attracted us here in the first place. 

The best interests for the Thai population / citizens is the point, not what pleases farangs. 

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its a way for the government to raise  a $hit load of money off foreigners , Do you think he would disappeove

Reality is that the '$hit load of money off foreigners' is tiny in comparison to the continuous basic / normal tax inflows to the Revenue Department from daily / numerous / various personal / business transactions involving Thai folks.

Always amazes me how many farang believe if they didn't exist 90% of essan (and other) families would not survive. Grow up guys. 

• Thanks 1