Federal Jury Orders Donald Trump to Pay $83.3 Million in Defamation Case

Social Media

21 hours ago, LosLobo said:

A new Quinnipac Poll was released today, possibly this trial may have broken the past trend.

Trump is now trailing both Biden and Haley. 

'The gender demographic tells a story to keep an eye on.
Propelled by female voters in just the past few weeks, the head-to-head tie with Trump morphs into a modest lead for Biden'.
said Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy.

2024 Matchups: Biden Opens Up Lead Over Trump In Head-To-Head, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Haley Leads Biden 1 On 1, But Trails When Third Party Candidates Are Added | Quinnipiac University Poll

Hate to burst your bubble.

November is still light years away in this political arena.

As I recall in 2016 Hillary was leading in the polls and the rest is history.

No doubt those same women, being women will change their minds several more times leading up November.

Bottom line, it ain’t over until it’s over.  

November 7th will determine bragging rights for either side.

By all means keep the dream alive!

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, G_Money said:

Hate to burst your bubble.

November is still light years away in this political arena.

As I recall in 2016 Hillary was leading in the polls and the rest is history.

No doubt those same women, being women will change their minds several more times leading up November.

Bottom line, it ain’t over until it’s over.  

November 7th will determine bragging rights for either side.

By all means keep the dream alive!

Are you saying that early polls are fairly worthless in predicting the results of the November election?

Or are you saying that all polls are worthless?

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Are you saying that early polls are fairly worthless in predicting the results of the November election?

Or are you saying that all polls are worthless?

Early

• Confused 5

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

She failed to check a dubious report to determine there was a credible witness to what she alleged in her letter.

I also overshot a bit on this saying  --- if there is a former Partner of Paul Weiss, one of the largest law firms in the world who would certainly know the ins-and-outs of judicial conduct and would come out in public that the relationship may be questionable -- then there would maybe be a problem of disclosure.

But nothing since the article. mea culpa for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From the above DailyBeast link:

> According to a source familiar with the situation, the private investigators were commissioned to look into missteps by Trump’s legal team in the early stages of his rape defamation case against E. Jean Carroll.

< Specifically, this source said, the private eye looked into who Trump’s lawyers had interviewed—and who they hadn’t.

While that doesn't mention Joe Tacopina by name, about Trump's not appearing at the NY State victims trial, Tacopina said roughly:

What was I supposed to do -- ask him "Where  were you in late 1995 or early 1996?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the above DailyBeast link:

> According to a source familiar with the situation, the private investigators were commissioned to look into missteps by Trump’s legal team in the early stages of his rape defamation case against E. Jean Carroll.

< Specifically, this source said, the private eye looked into who Trump’s lawyers had interviewed—and who they hadn’t.

While that doesn't mention Joe Tacopina by name, about Trump's not appearing at the NY State victims trial, Tacopina said roughly:

What was I supposed to do -- ask him "Where  were you in late 1995 or early 1996?

Have I got this right? A Trump PAC is paying PI's to investigate lawyers who Trump hired, and praised to the skies. They were then hampered by the fact he would not listen to them, and had to stand by while he tried to turn courtrooms into political speeches.

I understand irony, but this is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Have I got this right? A Trump PAC is paying PI's to investigate lawyers who Trump hired, and praised to the skies. They were then hampered by the fact he would not listen to them, and had to stand by while he tried to turn courtrooms into political speeches.

I understand irony, but this is ridiculous

Some left; some are still on.

I see the big-time lawyers who are paid upfront in a no-lose proposition. If they lose it's like well what-a-ya expect? And if they get him off he/she is then always the one that got Trump off.

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Some left; some are still on.

I see the big-time lawyers who are paid upfront in a no-lose proposition. If they lose it's like well what-a-ya expect? And if they get him off he/she is then always the one that got Trump off.

Alternatively, big-time lawyers could also shy away from having their reputation tarnished by a big loss, or having Trump throw them under the bus for failing. IMO sensible lawyers would not touch a Trump case with a barge pole.

Who are Trump's big-time lawyers, who are not indicted as co-conspirators? IIRC he has a motley bar of lawyers defending him in fields where they have no court experience.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Alternatively, big-time lawyers could also shy away from having their reputation tarnished by a big loss,

That is your opinion. The law community is very collegial -- big time trial adversaries during the week can play golf together on the weekends.

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

That is your opinion. The law community is very collegial -- big time trial adversaries during the week can play golf together on the weekends.

I am aware of that. I am also aware it is clients who determine how well lawyers live, not the colleagues they play golf with.

You are not posting a response to my question - who are Trump's big-time lawyers?

I forget the circumstances, but one of his lawyers is defending a case where his expertise clearly does not match the trial material. Something like a criminal law expert defending a divorce case, or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

You mean you are writing all this stuff and you don't know?

The purpose of a question is to learn, do you have a problem with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The purpose of a question is to learn, do you have a problem with that?

That info could be obtained from a just reasonable Google search.,

Or even a photo    (hint: one of the lawyers sitting next to Trump has won 4 cases at the US Supreme Court as a state solicitor.)AFP-Getty_Former-President-Donald-Trump-Attends-Start-Of-Civ-5-1.jpg.419ed723a526621030f096a98e5a71e8.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That info could be obtained from a just reasonable Google search.,

Or even a photo    (hint: one of the lawyers sitting next to Trump has won 4 cases at the US Supreme Court as a state solicitor.)AFP-Getty_Former-President-Donald-Trump-Attends-Start-Of-Civ-5-1.jpg.419ed723a526621030f096a98e5a71e8.jpg

It certainly is not the female sitting to the right of Trump, and he doesn't look like he is happy with how things are progressing.

Apparently Steven Sadow is a criminal defence lawyer heavyweight, the rest I don't know.

On a purely probabilistic basis, what are the odds of a defendant with 91 indictments being acquitted on all of them?

• Agree 2

It certainly is not the female sitting to the right of Trump, and he doesn't look like he is happy with how things are progressing.

Apparently Steven Sadow is a criminal defence lawyer heavyweight, the rest I don't know.

On a purely probabilistic basis, what are the odds of a defendant with 91 indictments being acquitted on all of them?

Fairly high because it looks like none of the important cases will he heard before the election. It appears that there is a holdout judge in the 14th amendment case who has decided to take months to write his dissent, forcing the court to wait.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Fairly high because it looks like none of the important cases will he heard before the election. It appears that there is a holdout judge in the 14th amendment case who has decided to take months to write his dissent, forcing the court to wait.

The 14th amendment case is not the most important. Either the RICO case or the DC case would IMO sink Trump. The RICO case has a judge who wants to move quickly, the DC judge, a Trump appointee, is trying to slow things down.

• Agree 1

The 14th amendment case is not the most important. Either the RICO case or the DC case would IMO sink Trump. The RICO case has a judge who wants to move quickly, the DC judge, a Trump appointee, is trying to slow things down.

I think the insurrection case is the most important. The 14th amendment case is just another Trump delaying tactic and prevents progress on the insurrection case.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

. The RICO case has a judge who wants to move quickly, the DC judge, a Trump appointee, is trying to slow things down.

The Florida Judge is a Trump appointment; the DC Judge is an Obama appointment.

I have said many times: I don't care about the outcome of any of the Trump criminal cases as long as he is not again President

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Thumbs Up 1