Federal Jury Orders Donald Trump to Pay $83.3 Million in Defamation Case

Social Media

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

And you repeat that as a "fact"? That's about the most tenuous claim I've read all year. Not only no evidence provided but the source was unnamed. Ridiculous. And you know it, that's why you just referred to "sources".

And you repeat that as a "fact"?

No I don't. Unlike a lot of people here, I tend to refrain from hasty dogmatic assertions and wild predictions.

Just yesterday, I was told on this thread that Alina Habba would never appeal. Now, one day later, okay she is appealing but it holds no water… Looking forward to tomorrow.

How about waiting a bit before making bold statements? Sure, the media are saying Trump is toast, but they are the same media who have been saying this since 2015. How about learning from past mistakes? Surely by now you should know that wanting something doesn't make it happen?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

Trump lawyer backs off idea that E. Jean Carroll judge had conflict

January 31, 20242:29 AM GMT+7Updated 2 hours ago

NEW YORK, Jan 30 (Reuters) - A lawyer for Donald Trump on Tuesday backed off her suggestion that the judge who oversaw E. Jean Carroll's two successful civil defamation trials against the former U.S. president might have had a conflict of interest

"The point of my January 29 letter was to verify whether the information contained in the New York Post article is accurate," she wrote. "Since Ms. Kaplan has now denied that there was ever a mentor-mentee relationship between herself and Your Honor, this issue has seemingly been resolved."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump-attorney-claim-judges-conflict-utterly-baseless-carrolls-lawyer-says-2024-01-30/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Ms. Habba submitted a motion, not, an appeal, over the weekend.

It was not a motion or appeal.

On the docket, it is described as a LETTER addressed to Judge Lewis A. Kaplan from Alina Habba dated January 29, 2024

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Okay, a letter. With a request. So, it's a motion in the form of a letter.

Ms. Habba is still going to be sanctioned for it. You don't publicly air rumors about a Federal Judge without any foundation. "I read it in a newspaper " doesn't cut it.

E. Jean Carroll's lawyer threatens sanctions against Alina Habba after Trump lawyer pushes false conflict-of-interest story
Jan 31, 2024, 12:35 AM GMT+7

"The purpose of the letter was simply to inquire as to whether there is any merit to a recently published New York Post story which reported on the alleged existence of such a relationship," (Habba) wrote.

In her own letter earlier, Roberta Kaplan wrote that Trump and his attorney "have pushed a false narrative of judicial bias so that they could characterize any jury verdict against Trump as the product of a corrupt system," and quoted one of the judge's previous rulings to point out that such complaints had no effect in a courtroom.

She also wrote that she may seek sanctions against Habba for the false accusation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/carroll-lawyer-threatens-sanctions-trump-alina-habba-judge-mentor-2024-1

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

And, in response, Ms. Habba has dropped the matter, and backed off completely.

Why is Trump using such crappy lawyers?

So this is all moot unless the former Paul Weiss partner has more non-anonymous info.

Ms. Habba is not involved in the appeal brief on the assault/defamation MAY 2023 verdict. 

And per CNN Senior Legal Analyst Elie Honig in your Newsweek link above:

"Judge Kaplan's been on the bench for 30 years. They have their appeal issues. This ain't one of them."

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Ms. Habba submitted a motion, not, an appeal, over the weekend.

So, you are wrong.

And her motion was sufficiently slipshod that she will be sanctioned.

But, please proceed, and tell me you think her motion was legit.

As I said, I don't play the crystal ball game and avoid bold assertions (something lots of users here should emulate).

It seems Habba is dropping the "mentor" avenue.

“Since Ms. Kaplan has now denied that there was ever a mentor-mentee relationship between herself and Your Honor, this issue has seemingly been resolved,” Habba wrote the judge. But in a footnote to that sentence, Habba added: “There are, however, various other issues relating to the Court’s conduct, including potential bias hostility towards defense counsel, that will be raised in post-trial motions and on appeal.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/30/e-jean-carroll-lawyer-rejects-trump-judge-conflict-concern-from-habba.html

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

Trump’s appeal of $83.3M defamation verdict will cite alleged conflict due to prior Paul Weiss employment

JANUARY 29, 2024, 10:00 AM CST

Another issue (besides the withdrawn Habba letter) is whether the punitive damages will stand. Jurors awarded Carroll $18.3 million in compensatory damages for defamation and $65 million in punitive damages on Friday, Reuters reports. 

The issue is whether the punitive damages are excessive under the due process clause, according to an Election Law Blog post by University of California at Los Angeles law professor Rick Hasen. The leading case is State Farm v. Campbell, a 2003 U.S. Supreme Court decision that held a ratio of no more than 9-1 was appropriate in all except the most egregious cases.

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/trumps-appeal-of-83.3m-defamation-verdict-will-cite-alleged-conflict-due-to-prior-paul-weiss-employment

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Because no competent lawyer would touch Trump with a barge pole. His record of non-payment and not listening to advice precedes him.

He now has some very competent attorneys who only work for him on upfront retainer basis

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:52 PM, Walker88 said:

In the first defamation trial trump was penalized $5 million. He was required to post that plus some extra, totaling $5.5 million. He could not find a surety or bondsman willing to post even than small amount, so bad is his reputation. It is highly unlikely he will find anyone to post this new $83.3 million plus, which he will be required to post as soon as he files an appeal.

Unless a family member ponies up, or he posts assets worth a multiple of the penalty, donny is going to have to find the money somewhere else. He does have $30 million in a Chinese bank, so that could be part of it, but the rest?  Fire sale time.

He’ll get the money!  One way or the other.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

As I said, I don't play the crystal ball game and avoid bold assertions (something lots of users here should emulate).

It seems Habba is dropping the "mentor" avenue.

“Since Ms. Kaplan has now denied that there was ever a mentor-mentee relationship between herself and Your Honor, this issue has seemingly been resolved,” Habba wrote the judge. But in a footnote to that sentence, Habba added: “There are, however, various other issues relating to the Court’s conduct, including potential bias hostility towards defense counsel, that will be raised in post-trial motions and on appeal.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/30/e-jean-carroll-lawyer-rejects-trump-judge-conflict-concern-from-habba.html

Just read the same article. Yes, it demonstrates just how quickly and easily conspiracy theorists and non critical thinkers will seize on the flimsiest of accusations and run with it. It should be noted that the source was never named.

• Agree 1