Federal Jury Orders Donald Trump to Pay $83.3 Million in Defamation Case

Social Media

Next question.

Is any of the abuse and defamation brought to the second trial independent of the ruling from the first?

Or more precisely, does any of the myriad defamations uttered by Trump against Carroll stand as defamation in their own right?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Slowly I understand why so many American people support Trump.

Obviously he is an a$hole, but that doesn't mean he did everything anyone accuses him of doing.

That woman doesn't even remember when that supposed rape supposedly happened. There is no evidence they even met in that store. But for whatever reason judges decide Trump is guilty.

And when he continues to proclaim his innocence (for that rape) he is prosecuted again. There is no proof that he raped her. Why is he not allowed to say exactly that?

Maybe Trumps opponent should concentrate on the important things which he did wrong, like the insurrection. Then maybe people would acknowledge that he is not unfairly targeted by the establishment. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Next question.

Is any of the abuse and defamation brought to the second trial independent of the ruling from the first?

Or more precisely, does any of the myriad defamations uttered by Trump against Carroll stand as defamation in their own right?

Before the second trial got underway, the judge ruled that Carroll was telling the truth about the assault, and that Trump's statements denying her claims were defamatory. The jury was tasked only with deciding what damages Carroll was entitled to receive. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-e-jean-carroll-trial-closing-arguments-courtroom/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Before the second trial got underway, the judge ruled that Carroll was telling the truth about the assault, and that Trump's statements denying her claims were defamatory. The jury was tasked only with deciding what damages Carroll was entitled to receive. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-e-jean-carroll-trial-closing-arguments-courtroom/

What is your point? The second trial was only ever about damages. Any attempt at a redo was inadmissible. Standard legal procedure.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

He didn't care about the amount because he just figures the useful patsies will donate and take care of it.

He does care, but he knows there will be an appeal and in the worst case, the plaintiff will negotiate down to a reasonable number rather than risk getting the big goose egg.

Just out of curiosity, if she can't even recall what year it happened, are you sure she remembers who did it?  It may have been a Cuomo or even Biden...

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What is your point? The second trial was only ever about damages. Any attempt at a redo was inadmissible. Standard legal procedure.

That if the first trial (the NY State Victims trial) is reversed on appeal, so will be the verdict arrived today.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That if the first trial (the NY State Victims trial) is reversed on appeal, so will be the verdict arrived today.

That's not my understanding. Trump is appealing the amount of damages in the first trial, not the actual guilty verdict. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case then a victory on the damages awarded in the first trial will have no impact on the second.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You just got yourself on my ignore list for that little display of intellectual prowess.

So if I said the appeal is based on rules of evidence and not the amount of damages that would have sufficed, huh?