Russian-sanctioned rock band arrested in Phuket and face deportation to Russia

snoop1130

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Should not the Israeli government at least lodge a diplomatic protest? If not, the reporting is fishy, and don't believe an iota of this information except that they did work illegally in a venue without a license. 

Maybe they didn't even work there. They may have performed for free ... ?

When a foreign national is deported, that means sent back to their own country. An Israeli citizen convicted in Thailand should be deported to Israel, their home country. Sending them to Russia would be extradition. For that to happen, there must be a court order following a court case to hear the request for extradition. In the absence of a court case, I don't see how they could be "deported" to Russia.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

thailand the hub of deportation of people to authoritarian countries so they can face prosecution, torture and possibly be disappeared.

wasnt it the german president who was congratulating thailand on its democratic improvements?

oh... and does thailand accept any refugees?

Israeli's complaining about other countries war activities, maybe look at your own country first.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Probably they don't want to go to Israel either. It is not safe there now.

That's daft.

Going back to Russia as a critic of Putin means 10 years in prison or being sent to be cannon fodder in Ukraine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Israeli's complaining about other countries war activities, maybe look at your own country first.

All of them clearly have Russian backgrounds at least and were playing to Russians here.

Their views on the Israel Hamas conflict not relevant here.

Belarus is basically a Russian puppet state.

Every professional performing musician knows about the necessary work visas and work permits required to perform in foreign countries. This was an incredibly stupid and avoidable mistake on their part. I'm a musician and I knew all about it as of the first time I came here. I knew about it when I performed in Norway and Iceland. If a foreigner is going to entertain here he has to make sure he is at a safe place and under the radar, necessary brown envelopes exchanged, otherwise someone will report them, often a Thai person who feels that they are taking jobs away from Thais. I wonder if these guys were misled by some unscrupulous "sponsor" or agent? 

32 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Working without a permit will get anyone deported. And rightly so. But deporting Israeli citizens to Russia... sees doubtful. But deport they will.

Almost definitely there are some that are dual citizens. If they entered on Russian passports which they clearly did to Thailand the deport country would be Russia by default.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

When a foreign national is deported, that means sent back to their own country. An Israeli citizen convicted in Thailand should be deported to Israel, their home country. Sending them to Russia would be extradition. For that to happen, there must be a court order following a court case to hear the request for extradition. In the absence of a court case, I don't see how they could be "deported" to Russia.

Not if they're dual citizens and entered on Russian passports.

I can't understand why anyone would openly flaunt immigration law, in a country which is not a signatory to the Refugee Convention, by working, or demonstrating against their own oppressive government!  Particularly as they are travelling on the oppressor's passport, and the country in which they choose to work is openly friendly with the other.

Legally a person can only be deported to their country of citizenship as per their entry passport. A rogue state might ignore that fact. The two non-Russians in the band are luckier. 

I remember a few years back a large group of Uighurs tried to transit Thailand to get to Europe. They were sent either back to China or to Turkey depending on the PP held. Human rights weren't a consideration.

A bomb later exploded in Bangkok attributed to this ethnic group.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

In this case , a reward would be better ...

Just a small fine would be enough as there was no damage done .

The each paid a small 3,000 baht fine immediately. They did have permits but the 'agent' made a small error in the paper work. Fine should have been the end if but they were whisked up to Bangkok for processing. All very suspect ....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

How would Israeli citizens get deported to Russia?  And for a work-visa violation?

Could they be dual nationals?  Does Russia have an international warrant out for them? 

If the Israelis had committed offences and were wanted in Russia under Russian arrest warrants they could be sent there. There is no such thing as an "international" arrest warrant.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Alainpm said:

leave them alone, they did nothing wrong

Yes actually they did do something wrong. They were preforming without the appropriate documents of permission.

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should anything happen to the Thai promoters (was there a promoter?), what offences did they commit?

If a promoter organised their function acting as an agent then they should be responsible for all the correct paperwork etc.. 

just saying

• Agree 1