Russian-sanctioned rock band arrested in Phuket and face deportation to Russia

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

They did have permits but the 'agent' made a small error in the paper work.

Possibly the first error on their part, using an agent…risks of winning the deportation lottery.

17 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

thailand the hub of deportation of people to authoritarian countries so they can face prosecution, torture and possibly be disappeared.

wasnt it the german president who was congratulating thailand on its democratic improvements?

oh... and does thailand accept any refugees?

Yes, they accept a lot of refugees...from Burma. Without Burmese Thailand's economy would come to a standstill.🙏

• Like 1

Obviously if some are Israeli they would have entered on an Israeli passport and those people would not be at risk for deportation to Russia. 

But if dual citizens who entered with Russian passport Russia would be the obvious destination.

Sometimes opposition Russians abroad are convicted in absentia in Russia.

In those cases Russia might be actively seeking them back from friendly countries. Like it or not Thailand and Russia are friendly.

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If the Israelis had committed offences and were wanted in Russia under Russian arrest warrants they could be sent there. There is no such thing as an "international" arrest warrant.

Wrong.

An International arrest warrant (EAW) also called an Interpol arrest warrant is a legal document issued against an individual in another country that requires extradition. People are often arrested when they cross a border or are stopped for unrelated reasons.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Every professional performing musician knows about the necessary work visas and work permits required to perform in foreign countries. This was an incredibly stupid and avoidable mistake on their part. I'm a musician and I knew all about it as of the first time I came here. I knew about it when I performed in Norway and Iceland. If a foreigner is going to entertain here he has to make sure he is at a safe place and under the radar, necessary brown envelopes exchanged, otherwise someone will report them, often a Thai person who feels that they are taking jobs away from Thais. I wonder if these guys were misled by some unscrupulous "sponsor" or agent? 

30 years of career, concerts all over the world and come to Thailand to perform without the permissions?

Could be, but sounds quite strange to me.

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:
31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If the Israelis had committed offences and were wanted in Russia under Russian arrest warrants they could be sent there. There is no such thing as an "international" arrest warrant.

Wrong.

An International arrest warrant (EAW) also called an Interpol arrest warrant is a legal document issued against an individual in another country that requires extradition. People are often arrested when they cross a border or are stopped for unrelated reasons.

Wrong.   An EAW is a European Arrest Warrant that applies only to member states of the EU, they are not "international".   

Interpol does not issue arrest warrants, it is not a police force.  It does issue advisory Notices to member police forces that can be acted on, or not, with the discretion of those police forces and then that action requires extradition unless all parties are in agreement.

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wrong.   An EAW is a European Arrest Warrant that applies only to member states of the EU, they are not "international".   

Interpol does not issue arrest warrants, it is not a police force.  It does issue advisory Notices to member police forces that can be acted on, or not, with the discretion of those police forces and then that action requires extradition unless all parties are in agreement.

That's not a contradiction. An arrest warrant between different nations/countries...what is it then? Don't mind if you want to have last word. Enjoy your day🙏 End of.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Goat said:

I find it hard to find any sympathy for Israelis or Russian/Belarussians currently.

Send them home.

Charming.

These aren't Z fascist Russians.

They're ANTI PUTIN.

To me -- heroes.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Charming.

These aren't Z fascist Russians.

They're ANTI PUTIN.

To me -- heroes.

The real heroes are on the front line fighting Putin. I just got back from a stint myself.

Not singing poems in a tropical resort without a work permit. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goat said:

The real heroes are on the front line fighting Putin. I just got back from a stint myself.

Not singing poems in a tropical resort without a work permit. 

Yes I would agree that the Ukrainian defenders are definitely seriously herioc. But anti-Putin Russians are needed too, inside and outside Russia. The truth is if Ukraine is able to prevail it probably won't be because of a military victory but because of Russia falling apart from the inside.

If you've really done that, I love you for that. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, This Guy said:

How about if they are against Bibi killing civilians in Gaza?

This news story isn't about that either way,

Just some people getting predictably triggered when they hear the world Israel.

They clearly all have Russian or Belorussian backgrounds at least. It's not clear how many are dual citizens, etc. The press here is quite often inprecise on such matters.

They are publicly anti Putin and attract anti Putin audiences.

At this point in time, Israelis travelling abroad are thin on the ground. 

The two wars are not the same.

If you want to discuss Middle east war, there are plenty of other topics for that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

That's not a contradiction. An arrest warrant between different nations/countries...what is it then?

Huh?  A EAW is an arrangement between EU states only, not internationally.  An international warrant (if there was such as thing) would be valid internationally, not just in specified jurisdictions. 

19 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why deport them?

Surely they could simply have Russian agents come here and subject the baddies to enhanced interrogation techniques.

As long as they promise not to waterboard them repeatedly, then send them to Guantanamo for decades without trial.

What dribble. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  A EAW is an arrangement between EU states only, not internationally.  An international warrant (if there was such as thing) would be valid internationally, not just in specified jurisdictions. 

Newbee probably thinks Israel and Russia are EU members since he thinks the "E" in EAW stands for International.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

No work permit straight away they are in trouble.Should have taken advice before they played.The mother land awaits now

The motherland in the case of Russia is a mother ....

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They seem to be completely tone deaf when it comes to the antics and ridiculous posturing of administration, compared to their extreme desire for tourism dollars. They seem to work completely independently and it appears that the immigration police and the RTP have no concern whatsoever about Thailand's reputation overseas. 

And never let it be forgotten that we're looking at 10 years of army participation or domination of the political scene. You can always count on the army to side with a despot regime rather than take the side of democracy. The Thai army is totally anti-democratic. 

There is no democratic army in the world.

When they take power they all become dictatorships.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BritScot said:

What dribble. 

Dribble?

Maybe ask Gina Haspell about CIA black site "Detention Site Green" located on the Royal Thai airbase in Udon Thani.

Obama:  "We tortured some folks."

Was it torture?  They didn't destroy the videotapes despite federal court orders for no reason.  Maybe the broomstick rapes were too graphic?

On 1/29/2024 at 6:53 PM, Pouatchee said:

thailand the hub of deportation of people to authoritarian countries so they can face prosecution, torture and possibly be disappeared.

wasnt it the german president who was congratulating thailand on its democratic improvements?

oh... and does thailand accept any refugees?

Thailand, truly a horrible goverment (junta controlled still) that needs to be sanctioned itself.

Throwing there support behind the Myanmar junta and Nazi Russians is reprehensible. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thailand, truly a horrible goverment (junta controlled still) that needs to be sanctioned itself.

Throwing there support behind the Myanmar junta and Nazi Russians is reprehensible. 

While that is true nothing more could be expected from a morally bankrupt army, which is motivated only by money and power. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:40 PM, Jingthing said:

Coincidentally famous exiled Russian youtuber NFKRZ just covered this issue and Thailand is specifically mentioned as a country that such Russians are not safe from deportation.

I wonder if they would have a chance appealing to the UN.

Thanks for posting this informative video. The world and Russia would be a much better place without Putin…

• Thumbs Up 1