Air quality concerns threaten Thailand's tourism growth

webfact

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is forbidden to make a fire outside, no burning is allowed nowadays and the fines are 100k for ones who do it, told my Thai partner. If you see someone making fire you can report it and you get a reward of 4000 THB. This morning we saw on 3 spots that Thai people were burning leaves and branches. Thai people told that if you call the police they don't come and so no fine and no rewards. So they said, why should we bother if someone is making a fire.   If you want to solve the problem, come in action instead making rules and do nothing anymore. Indeed not the tourists will stay away , but local population have live in the dirt air and probably get sick , which cost a lot of money. But who cares in fact??  

This is very typical of a corrupt society and unfortunately something that one must endure when living in a country that has a high corruption index.  

If you aren't playing ball with the authorities they will come and fine you and leave the others alone.  Expect it.  

20 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yet another day with AQI 160+ across western Bangkok. Third day in a row. Do Western embassies warn potential tourists from their countries of the hazardous air quality in Thailand and SE Asia?

Up North it gets a bit hazy which will spoil the vistas if , as a tourist, you are from, say, Switzerland. 

Otherwise, we still have sunshine and palm trees. I doubt any tourists from Beijing or New Dehli will be concerned about air quality. Nor will anyone coming here for a 3 or 4-week vacation.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, it is what it is said:

flying back after a visit to singapore, the air pollution over bangkok is quite scary, i'm beginning to think i'll spend less time here.

Says a man with an avatar smoking a cigarette. Really!

• Sad 1

Just checked and Bangkok AQI has fallen to 90. But pm 2.5 is 6.2 times the WHO recommended max. Here in Udon Thani we see a lot less burning now compared to 10 years ago. AQI usually below 100 (currently 58) - and those are readings next to main roads. I have an air purifier but have only needed 3 times in last 2 years.

Edited by rickudon
Add more

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yet another day with AQI 160+ across western Bangkok. Third day in a row. Do Western embassies warn potential tourists from their countries of the hazardous air quality in Thailand and SE Asia?

It's an utter disgrace nothing will change though the whole political/executive state is rotten to its core and those that could have changed this wonderful country have effectively been gerrymandered out of office.  Mask up get an air purifier or leave the country.

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I lived in Bangkok for over 14 years and have lots of mates and acquaintances who exercise regularly outside. Not one of them has ever mentioned to me their concern over air quality in Bangkok.

I guess why bother mentionlng the obvious.  

On 1/31/2024 at 4:57 AM, Emdog said:

. "Despite the current AQI reading at a moderate level of 28 micrograms per cubic meter (µg/m3), it remains 1.12 times higher than the World Health Organization's recommended level of 15 µg/m3." What hole do they pull these numbers from? Check right now for Bangkok is 153-184.

These morons worried about tourists, don't give a damn about the health impact on Thai people

Where in Thailand is it ONLY 28 micrograms? Maybe that is the place to settle down.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I guess why bother mentionlng the obvious.  

Because if my friends don't complain maybe it is not as bad as social media would lead us to believe.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Because if my friends don't complain maybe it is not as bad as social media would lead us to believe.

Social media?

Download the app IQair.

Join the world largest air quality community! Click on the link to start tracking your air:

https://www.airvisual.com/invitation/VEfvCQmci

Share it with your oblivious friends.

• Thanks 1