Hua Hin’s rail developments: The differences between dual track and high-speed train lines

image.jpeg

The opening of Hua Hin’s new elevated train station on December 15 marked a significant milestone in the region’s transportation development.

However, there seems to be a lingering confusion among the public, as observed in comments on our website and social media platforms.

Some people are conflating the new dual track train line with the high-speed train project, which is, in fact, a separate initiative. To clear the air, we delve into the specifics of these two distinct rail projects.

The Dual Track Line

The recently inaugurated dual track train line, which includes the new elevated train station in Hua Hin, is a significant enhancement to the existing rail network.

By Online Reporter 

TOP: High speed train. File photo

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

They're joking right ... :cheesy:

I remember it took 4 hrs, and that was 20+ years ago, and not an express train.

"The recently inaugurated dual track train line, which includes the new elevated train station in Hua Hin, is a significant enhancement to the existing rail network.

image.png.33758774405d4903968ed198a79626b4.pngimage.png.62dd018cc7d54720f35d93943fb57f97.png

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2024 at 4:10 AM, webfact said:

The opening of Hua Hin’s new elevated train station on December 15 marked a significant milestone in the region’s transportation development

We have the tracks, I wonder when we will get a train like the one in the OP photo

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, stargrazer9889 said:

Until a rail line has no crossings and is totally elevated, there can be no high speed railway

in Thailand. Can you imagine the damage woud be if a high speed train hit

a large vehicle? the only other solution would be to have many under passes developed.

This is Thailand after all, and we all know how well people treat the regular train crossings.

Just my opinion of course.

Same thought process goes for the "tram line: in Pattaya.. can you imagine the daily carnage.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When the usual suspects work out how to divert sufficient funds to the wrong pockets.

Maybe they will buy some more second hand 30 year old stock from Japan and give it a new coat of paint.

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

We have the tracks, I wonder when we will get a train like the one in the OP photo

No we do not have the tracks yet. Didn't you read the article?

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, stargrazer9889 said:

Until a rail line has no crossings and is totally elevated, there can be no high speed railway

a large vehicle? the only other solution would be to have many under passes developed.

This is Thailand after all, and we all know how well people treat the regular train crossings.

I think you need to get O&A more often, as they are fencing in the rail line, and building elevated U-turns all the way down the line, at least the southern line, as that's we live and see it being done.

Even a few nice underpasses added already.  Though not for anything taller than a pick up or SUV.

Guessing, most or all have been completed between BKK & HH, or will be before anything operates in that 120-160 kph range.  Most other crossings are near done, between HH and Chumphon.  

Elevated U-turns, and fencing.  many crossings still open, but would only take couple days to fence in.

This is just for the dual line.  Not sure if those rails will even support a high speed train.  Not that they are coming anytime soon.

Emphasis of the article is, the confusion of people thinking the dual line is a high speed line.

Still fairly obvious, the confusion, considering the replies after reading the article ... or not.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, stargrazer9889 said:

Yes I'm sure that they are aware of that. The high speed network will be built to high speed standards, just as they are in the rest of the world.

• Agree 1

Realistic maximum top speed on metre gauge lines in Thailand is 100kph. The state of the tracks in some areas is shocking. Even the new double track south of Hua Hin looked uneven (picture June 2020). They would need to build elevated standard guage for high speed. A good comprehensive article for rail enthusiasts is at: https://futuresoutheastasia.com/the-mixed-gauge-mess-of-thailands-railways/

image.png.99fb68c98c1b658acc335cbb77330def.png

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The significant enhancement stems from the fact the the dual track allows for more trains to run and without the delays caused by trains having to wait at passing loops. How much more speed do you expect out of the same old rolling stock?

Apparently, no much at all.  I agree & think the dual line, is just making up for the increased number of trains, passenger and or freight. 

Why no real amount of time is actually saved.  Don't know where they get 3-3.5 hr estimate, when the schedules are mostly 4 hrs +/-.

Only advantage of taking the train, is it's cheaper than driving.  Definitely not faster.  Used the train line a few times, but not a fan, and can't see myself ever using again.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Realistic maximum top speed on metre gauge lines in Thailand is 100kph. The state of the tracks in some areas is shocking. Even the new double track south of Hua Hin looked uneven (picture June 2020). They would need to build elevated standard guage for high speed. A good comprehensive article for rail enthusiasts is at: https://futuresoutheastasia.com/the-mixed-gauge-mess-of-thailands-railways/

image.png.99fb68c98c1b658acc335cbb77330def.png

No one is talking about running HS trains on the meter gauge network. That's why they are building a standard gauge HS network!

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2024 at 1:35 PM, KhunLA said:

They're joking right ... :cheesy:

I remember it took 4 hrs, and that was 20+ years ago, and not an express train.

"The recently inaugurated dual track train line, which includes the new elevated train station in Hua Hin, is a significant enhancement to the existing rail network.

image.png.33758774405d4903968ed198a79626b4.pngimage.png.62dd018cc7d54720f35d93943fb57f97.png

Your screen shot above tells the real truth about the supposedly improved BKK-Hua Hin train service.

Contrary to the misleading claims in the OP report, as your chart shows, most of the current BKK-Hua Hin train trips are still 4 hours or longer. The faster trips are few and far between.

The wife and I had a Christmas season trip to Hua Hin at the end of last year. Having read all the hoo-ha publicity, I was thinking about trying to take the train for the first time. But after actually seeing the real "new" schedules, we took a pass on that...

And instead, did what we've always done, and that's take the VIP, air con express bus that runs between Swampy and HH many times per day, with travel times usually less than 4 hours.

The one morning train trip that's less than 4 hours arrives in HH at about noon time, which for me, doesn't really fit well with tourist hotel check-in times that typically start at 2-3 pm.

When we take the bus, we leave BKK about 10 am, not having to get up and out at the crack of dawn on our vacation days, and take the bus to arrive HH about 1:30 pm, and then straight to our hotel for checking in. That's what works better for our travel plans.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1