TikTok user exposes taxi overcharge in Bangkok, fare hits 105 baht (video)

webfact

7 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

What an utterly meaningless load of drivel. $3 get a life

Yes. his next ride for the night could cost him a bar fine and a few thousand 

I doubt he will be videoing that and posting it !!

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Rather an inexperienced comment...

Yeah living in central bkk in excess of 10 years just isn’t long enough to have gained any experience. Believe it or not Bangkok doesn’t begin and end in late night Sukhumvit. And your experience doesn’t change the facts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uttradit said:

I've never paid high taxi prices on a meter. Never seen a rigged meter.

Tik Tok bottom feeders should be banned I think. Get a real job. 

You seem quite fixated on bottoms

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

The driver probably said - "yeah sorry, meter broken. How about 50 baht?"  Thank god for social media. Otherwise, these heinous crimes might go untold :glare:

Heinous crimes??? What planet are you from?? I hope that’s the worse thing that ever happens to me. 😂😂😂😂

12 hours ago, uttradit said:

Bangkok taxis are amongst the cheapest in the world. 

What does that have to do with the price of bread on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in Mongolia???

5 hours ago, geisha said:

Crikey, all this fuss. String him up for 15 Baht ? I’ve taken taxis in Bangkok for 40 years and only once had a problem with the amount asked from airport !  Try taking a taxi in Pattaya  or Phuket and see what you get . I’m just wondering why this tik tok fool ordered a taxi to drive 1 km ??? Really ? Just a set up to try and get on the screen in my opinion. I doubt very much that a taxi would loose money/ time over  a 1Km fare and keep smiling. 

You've been here for 40 years and you are surprised that a Thai person would take a taxi for 1 km?? Seriously? Apart from the possibility of rain or extreme heat, I only know a couple of my Thai friends who would walk a kilometer! lol I've heard Thais say so many times, something like "Farang sure do like to walk a lot!" Just because we will walk 1 or 2 km rather than taking a motorcycle, bus, or taxi. Being here for 40 years and that surprising you makes me wonder if you know any Thai people. Or are they all very poor? Nothing wrong with that... just wondering how you could possibly be surprised at that.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, uttradit said:

The Tik Tok guy isn't a good person either. Picking on a poor person and trying to ruin their life. Total bottom feeder.

Go harrass some rich person and pick on them. For instance a lawyer who charges $45 to photocopy 3 papers.

Reminds me of a joke.

What is the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?

One is a bottom dwelling scum sucking scavenger and the other is just a fish.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irish made said:

Heinous crimes??? What planet are you from?? I hope that’s the worse thing that ever happens to me. 😂😂😂😂

Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny. 

16 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

What an utterly meaningless load of drivel. $3 get a life

It is not the 105 baht it is the fact that some taxi drivers are cheaters - in fact on Monday I tried to catch a taxi on Sukhumvit at around 7:45 am. One didn't want to go where I was headed, a second offered 150 baht ( and I had made this trip a lot and if it were raining I might go 60 to 75 baht meterless) but the 3rd guy said " ok meter ". We get there for 45 baht. I gave him a 100 and said make it 60 baht, he didn't have change and gave me 50 back. See some are ok drivers. Of course where he dropped me off mostly has a waiting fare- and it did this time.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:58 PM, Fairynuff said:

Yeah living in central bkk in excess of 10 years just isn’t long enough to have gained any experience. Believe it or not Bangkok doesn’t begin and end in late night Sukhumvit. And your experience doesn’t change the facts.

Good luck trying to negotiate with a Taxi in Sukhumvit late at night then... You'll find out quickly enough what the facts are and who the 'fool is'... 

Just becasue you can get metered taxis in a lot of area's of Bangkok, you still can't get a metered taxi in some areas... so your statement below is wrong... 

On 2/1/2024 at 5:17 PM, Fairynuff said:

Taxi fares in Bangkok are not supposed to be negotiated. That’s what a legal meter is for.More fool you if you allow yourself to be scammed by negotiating.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:15 PM, uttradit said:

They deserve 300 baht once a day. Their job sucks.

I think thats a fair comment...    I imagine being a taxi driver sucks, lots of jobs suck.... but is that an excuse to try and cheat ?

I see taxi's waiting outside hotels all day trying to get that one exaggerated fare...  those guys are cheats.

Then I see decent taxi drives who turn on the meter immediately without any request...  they get a nice tip.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, uttradit said:

Let's not pretend Bangkok taxi drivers are the biggest scammers out there.

Agreed, they're not..  and exposure to the 'bad taxi drivers' depends primarily on the area and time - and if you are in 'those areas' fairly frequently...   this behaviour just wears thin.

I also agree with you that the TikToker is scummy to expose this in the manner he has... But its also a sign that people are irritated by this behavior....    

A lot of taxi's I take in the day time or around my area of Bangkok are absolutely fine...   then I can go to some area's in the evening and its a near 100% guarantee that the taxi driver will not use his meter and charge a 3x fare... and its not just the one, we can go through a whole line of them driving past and they are all quoting 3x fares...   

Edited by richard_smith237

On 2/1/2024 at 9:27 AM, zhounan said:

Now, try to imagine what could happen if a video like this was made by a foreigner.

What are you suggesting would be the outcome?   There have been plenty of complaints about taxis from foreigners to the authorities/ media and there are never any adverse consequences.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:37 PM, uttradit said:

Go harrass some rich person and pick on them. For instance a lawyer who charges $45 to photocopy 3 papers.

If that's too expensive for you go to a copy shop and pay B45.  If you want to use the lawyer's education, expertise and authority that doesn't come free.

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good luck trying to negotiate with a Taxi in Sukhumvit late at night then... You'll find out quickly enough what the facts are and who the 'fool is'... 

Just becasue you can get metered taxis in a lot of area's of Bangkok, you still can't get a metered taxi in some areas... so your statement below is wrong... 

Not wrong at all. But it’s a pointless argument for me. That area at night time, it’s for you not me. As for other more normal areas, I have experienced taxis that refuse to use their meter, fine I can wait for one that will, or Grab, or Bolt.

On 2/1/2024 at 7:50 PM, Woof999 said:
On 2/1/2024 at 7:01 PM, uttradit said:

Bangkok taxis are amongst the cheapest in the world. 

They would be if they used an untampered meter

The vast majority of the meters are not tampered with.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:40 PM, uttradit said:

Car registration

Fuel

Licence fees

Uniform

Give 50% to owner of car if not owned

I would guess out of 100 baht they make 20 to 40 baht.

Very little.

The taxis owners (co-operatives) do not take 50%, they charge a daily rental.

this is rare, i, and no one i know, has ever experienced it. there are dodgy people in every profession.

bangkok taxi's are very cheap, fact. and generally very reliable, sure some try it on but tell them to take a hike, in 20+ years i'd say the vast majority are honest decent drivers.

• Haha 1