Yes, It’s Time to Allow More Countries to Have a 90 Day Visa on Entry to Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Earlier this week TPN Media and some other Thai media reported a proposal that for once got a nearly universally positive response from our readers.

OPINION

That proposal, being put forward by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, is to allow many more countries a 90 Day stay in Thailand with a Visa Waiver upon arrival, which we reported here.

Currently, only Russians have a similar program of the same length which was largely due to a reciprocal agreement between the two countries that also allows Thai nationals to enter Russia up to 90 days with a visa waiver. This agreement came together last year largely due to Thailand’s neutrality between the Ukraine and Russia war.

Recently, China has signed a similar agreement with Thailand but for less days, as we reported here, which is designed to hopefully boost lagging Chinese tourism.

Now, with the most recent proposal, hopes have been raised by many of our readers from countries like the UK, America, Australia, and many more that a similar program is coming for them.

Let’s be clear, this is just a proposal. There is no guarantee whatsoever that the proposal will happen. We state this so people don’t continually ask us when the extended visa waiver will begin.

OPINION By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder what makes a tourist more dangerous and bad for Thailand if they are given 90 days instead of 30 ??? would TAT like to explain.. nah, didn't think so - that would require someone to think...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

While I would welcome 90 days on arrival, enforcing the 180 days per year (like Europe) is a challenge for many. You end up needing a full liberalization of the rules for things to balance out for everyone. The flip side is the whole tax residence thing. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

90 day will require more cash on arrival. 

Why? If the proposal becomes reality, somebody staying 2 weeks will be stamped in for 90 days the same as somebody staying 75 or 90 days. How are they going to police how much disposable money you have to hand?

• Sad 1

Depends on the time of the year for me. If not the burning season 90 days is perfect. If burning they could offer 10000 baht and 180 days and I would not come to Thailand. 

Interesting to hear the conflicting comments

New Zealand nationals used to get 90 days visa free entry on arrival which was reciprocal.

Then NZ said they had too many "ladies of the night" plying their trade & went the "prior to arrival" visa route.

Obviously not a long time later NZ back to 30 days coming to Thailand.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Depends on the time of the year for me. If not the burning season 90 days is perfect. If burning they could offer 10000 baht and 180 days and I would not come to Thailand. 

Yep the air pollution is pretty bad atm.

Why not. Thailand has already lost control of immigration. More overstays, more shaddy foreigners staying longer under these extended VERs/extensions, or buying golden visas, and gaming ED visas. And it has nothing to do with tourism/tourist. The majority of tourist stay 30 days tops. Thing is Thailand can't/doesn't distinguish tourist from the undesirables (shiftless opportunists with no purpose) that make Pattaya and Phuket the dumpster fires they've become.

18 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I wonder what makes a tourist more dangerous and bad for Thailand if they are given 90 days instead of 30 ??? would TAT like to explain.. nah, didn't think so - that would require someone to think...

TAT might be okay with that, but others, incl. the Immigation department, don't want many foreigners being given the opportunity to stay longer.

17 hours ago, Gknrd said:

So you think the government should vary the length depending on time of year?

• Confused 1