British man arrested in Bangkok for buying sex from underage girls in Hua Hin

webfact

20 hours ago, Woof999 said:

The OP and the site it links to only mention Brit, so he could be Scottish, English or Welsh.

I'll agree that he's unlikely to be Scottish though as the illegal sex did involve another human 😉

EDIT: Or of course Welsh for that matter.

Like James the 1st he was probably Scottish!

20 hours ago, carlyai said:

If you are a visitor and not a regular at the bar scene, how would you know a girl is underage?

That's for a John to ascertain and make sure of. Its a tough one as some Thai girl look younger than they are and some young girls look older.. If in doubt, don't go near it. The excuse that she looked over 18 does not wash I'm afraid. If you don't want to spend a long time in prison and be labelled as a sex offender for the rest of your life, check government issued ID and make absolutely sure of It.

You have to be the one who protects yourself. No one else is going to do it

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know the USA has no ID cards.

I wonder what the people over there do if they never had a driver's license or the police confiscated it.

Do they show their library pass to open a bank account?

The US does issue a passport card, for an extra $10. Very convenient to have, as it serves nearly all ID purposes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

With certainty, if you ask a girl who is 17 years and x months how old she is she will say 18. It's not a lie it's just how they think. Which I suppose could make sense especially if she's 17 years and 7 months as she's more 18 that 17 anyway

I remember hearing about a farang in Pattaya I think it was years ago who was thinking of banging a 17 year old who claimed to be 18 and whose ID card showed her as 17 so he asked a policeman if she was old enough to which the very Thai reply was said to have been "Yes she is but not yet". 

Simon

Correct. Thais count the number of years they have been alive, instead of their upcoming birthday. Hence 17 means 18. Always best to ask for a real ID, if in doubt. Even better to pass, if it is that close!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Celsius said:

this is legal?

"......police officers arrested two women for committing the offense of “conspiracy by agreement of two or more persons to commit human trafficking” by secretly employing children under 18 years of age at a bar in Hua Hin."

All clear now?

5 months on !.....seems a bit of a witch-hunt for a genuine bar-fine transgression,

Perhaps this guy is/was a serial offender with an arrangement with the bar owners to specifically provide  knowingly underage girls. ?

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Girls 16 and older were not unusual in farang tourist areas like Pattaya and in Bangkok.

I.e. in Long Gun the 16-year-old naked girls were the first girls anybody saw who entered the place. Nobody even tried to hide it.

The situation only became stricter in the last couple of years.

A friend recently met a girl in Nana. She told him she is 18. A few weeks later he didn't see her in the bar anymore but one day he saw her on the street. She explained to him that now Nana is stricter, and she can't work there anymore. Now she works in Soi Cowboy.

Often the parents know what is going on. The girls send money to the parents. And they parents know how the girls make that money.

Obviously in a perfect world this shouldn't happen. Parents should take care of their children. But in reality many Thai people want money and if they see an opportunity to make a lot of money then they use that opportunity. The parents know, the neighbors know, and nobody cares.

Many young girls use fake ID cards or ID cards from their elder sisters. Everybody knows, nobody cares. TiT. 

A friend of mine took a girl home from a bar a few years ago, and she started crying. When he asked her what was wrong, she said she was missing her baby, who was only a few months old and her parents were "taking care". He said she should be at home looking after her baby, not her parents, gave her some extra money, and told her to go back home.

The next week he saw her back in the bar againand he asked why she had come back. Apparently, her parents had told her to come back because they needed the money she was making to look after her baby! As you say - TIT!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

A friend of mine took a girl home from a bar a few years ago, and she started crying. When he asked her what was wrong, she said she was missing her baby, who was only a few months old and her parents were "taking care". He said she should be at home looking after her baby, not her parents, gave her some extra money, and told her to go back home.

The next week he saw her back in the bar againand he asked why she had come back. Apparently, her parents had told her to come back because they needed the money she was making to look after her baby! As you say - TIT!

It seems like all their mothers were Mammasans at one time , what goes on in those moobaan with  the grandpas 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The US does issue a passport card, for an extra $10. Very convenient to have, as it serves nearly all ID purposes.

Also ID cards and Real ID is required soon 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

Oh those innocent trusting bargirls. And some here are married to them 

for the lolz

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Woof999 said:

The OP and the site it links to only mention Brit, so he could be Scottish, English or Welsh.

I'll agree that he's unlikely to be Scottish though as the illegal sex did involve another human 😉

EDIT: Or of course Welsh for that matter.

What about the Northern Irish?

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What about the Northern Irish?

Great Britain doesn't include NI (and doesn't really include much Great any more either). You're thinking of the UK, the full name being the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Grown men should be staying well away from 18 year oldish girls. How sad. 

It should not be too hard to have a good look at ladies who look like in their thirties before engaging with them.

If in doubt stay well clear, simples.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mancub said:

I was thinking it was a Glasgow Rangers footie shirt ! 

There is no Glasgow Rangers, they were liquidated in 2012. They are now known as The Rangers International Football Club.

20 hours ago, proton said:

By their ID cards, most going with a minor actually seek them out rather than make a mistake, of course his apologists will claim ID cards can be faked etc

Khaosan Road? Maybe not today but definitely in the past.

22 hours ago, Celsius said:

this is legal?

Yes, hiring underage girls is illegal and the owner will be fined, but it doesn't change the fact that the 35yo Fatty had sex with an underage girl!

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not sure about deliberate setups, but I have heard of guys getting into major trouble here, for being found with underage gals. As an American, the laws in the US apply to all US passport holders, worldwide. Often the Thai cop will demand 100,000 baht, if she is 17, or one million baht, if 16 or under. You do not have it? You are turned over. Many guys end up on planes with an assistant DA dispatched from DC, in handcuffs, facing federal statutory rape charges. Unless you have millions to throw at a lawyer, you are looking at 10 years in a federal pen. And you will be on the sex offender list the rest of your life.

Many will dispute this. I have spoken to lawyers about it, and it is correct info. And the US government is over zealous about the underage thing. Not worth it. Always best to check if she looks really young. If she does not have ID, that is real trouble. Do not proceed.

The law changed in 2003, when the PROTECT Act was enacted. Prior to that, sex with minors abroad was covered by Customs statutes, which required proof that the US citizen left the US with the intent of having sex with persons under the age of 18 - something that was very difficult to prove. (It's also worth noting that both Jerry Lee and Elvis married teenagers. Laws in the US are peculiar in that many states allow marriage to someone below the age of consent, as long as their parents agree.)

Under the PROTECT Act, there is no need for the government to prove intent. If an American has sex with someone under age 18 while in a foreign country, that's a crime, period, even if that sex isn't against the law in the country where it took place.

Priscilla was early twenties when Elvis married her Mike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pharoticus said:

And you've ended up in Thailand rather than, say, Singapore or Monaco or Portugal or Argentina. 

Thailand is for losers. You have indeed been harmed by your experiences. 

You have my sympathies. 

Another new username? ☺️
Ended up? I live in central London 😊

How about yourself?

I’ve actually spent a good amount of time in all of the places that you have mentioned.

Pray tell me how I could have a better lifestyle in any of those places. Pick even a single one and run with it. I await an intelligent response with baited breath…

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

If he went to a bar and barfined a girl then the bar is culpable, not him.  Any customer would expect that the bar employees to be 'legal'. You cannot expect a foreigner to know Thai law on age of consent (which is 16 in UK).  A foreign tourist may not know that Thai people carry ID cards, and in fact an ID card cannot be relied upon because they are so often borrowed or faked.

Age is difficult to judge, its ridiculous to say that he should have known they were underage from their appearance - a 16 year old could look 19, and vice versa.

If you just stick to women who look much older than 18. It should not be too hard.