Why are we suddenly allowed to publicly criticize Jews?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might be because the Israeli government has murdered over 27,000 while claiming they are trying to avoid civilian deaths. Because some people find that offensive and a massive over-reaction to an attack on them. Just a guess.

Don't you realise  that that figure includes  Hamas terrorists as well as civilians being used as Human shields by Hamas ?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

There are no good options when fighting an insane death cult. War is horrible, but sadly often the only way, and Hamas must be totally defeated in the way the Axis powers were in WW2.

Wrong comparison. The Allies didn't destroy every city and town in Germany, Austria, Italy or Japan, and when it was over they didn't act the way the israelis want to in Gaza with a permanent occupation.

Perhaps you are referring to Battle of Bến Tre in Vietnam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bến_Tre

the battle is best remembered for a quote from an unnamed American Major, reported by journalist Peter Arnett, that "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it."

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

According to the Bible, God was the first to throw the Israelites out of their land. Arabs, Egyptians and Romans have followed in the footsteps of the "wise". Then came the English and gave them Israel after World War II. Always those cursed Englishmen who disturb the world order.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Wrong comparison. The Allies didn't destroy every city and town in Germany, Austria, Italy or Japan, and when it was over they didn't act the way the israelis want to in Gaza with a permanent occupation.

Perhaps you are referring to Battle of Bến Tre in Vietnam

the battle is best remembered for a quote from an unnamed American Major, reported by journalist Peter Arnett, that "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it."

The Allies kept going until the Nazis were defeated and we carpeted bombed Germany and dropped Nuclear bombs on Japan until they unconditionally surrendered 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How do non Jews fight their wars ?

Did the USA Army go to Iraq and sit down and talked to the Taliban and convince them to stop terrorism activities or did they bomb the boom boom out of them ?

Civilians get killed in all wars , its not just wars that involve Israel 

The Taliban in Iraq? Try again.

Yes, civilians get killed in wars, in the past lots of civilian were killed in wars.

In more recent wars often the military tries to avoid killing civilian - it doesn't look good. There are civilian dead, but not too many.

And then there is this war, where it seems Israel wants to kill many Palestinians and get them all out of the land which Israel wants. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It has always been ok to openly criticise anyone, including Jews, except where certain laws forbid it (and none of those laws include Jews).

e.g. Many folks criticize muslim people, and many criticize christians. and all of these religions are bases on unproven / will never be proven words.

Plenty of research indicates that: Jesus never existed /  that he was born by virgin birth (not possible), he died and came back to life after three days (not possible). Miracles? But research suggests such miracles don't / cannot exist. Could make similar analysis of all religions.

Further, many over the top christians say that homosexuality is spoken of negatively in the bible - on the other hand many respected theology scholars for centuries say this subject is not mentioned anywhere in the bible, not one word.

Can make same analysis about other religions, based on unproved / impossible words.  

2 minutes ago, Parsve said:

According to the Bible, God was the first to throw the Israelites out of their land. Arabs, Egyptians and Romans have followed in the footsteps of the "wise". Then came the English and gave them Israel after World War II. Always those cursed Englishmen who disturb the world order.

Do stop this nonsense , it was the World, the U.N who granted Israel statehood .

It was also the British who were in the land at the time (Not the English) and the British opposed the Jews relocating to Israel post WW2,  that is why the Jews fought against the British post WW2

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Morch said:

In short, you are making the case for legitimizing antisemitic views. That's what your last line and 'conclusion' are about.

And no, it is not that difficult to keep things apart. It's hard to do only if one comes with some 'welded in' bias, bigotry and so on - which a whole lot of people do. This is usually kept under wraps, comes out when discussions get a bit heated. But it's there - vs. Jews, Asians, Muslims, Blacks....whatever.

It seems you read my post. But you only concentrate on the last line.

Did you ever think or write that "group x" does this or that?

All of group x? All the time?

If we want to be accurate then we should look at each individual anywhere in the world as an individual. Not all Christians think the same, not all Jews do the same, etc.

But I guess we can agree that if you take a million Muslims, they do in average different things than a million Christians or a million Jews.

So, in this case, who kills so many Palestinians? What is the short answer for that?

P.S. My neighbor is Israeli, and probably a Jew. I like him and I don't blame him for what is going on in Gaza. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Taliban in Iraq? Try again.

Yes, civilians get killed in wars, in the past lots of civilian were killed in wars.

In more recent wars often the military tries to avoid killing civilian - it doesn't look good. There are civilian dead, but not too many.

And then there is this war, where it seems Israel wants to kill many Palestinians and get them all out of the land which Israel wants. 

Haven't you been following the news and events ?

Is Al - Jazeera your only news source ?

Didn't you  hear the news that Israel gave Palestinian civilians a safe passage out the war zone and told l them numerous times to leave the area ?

Hamas stopped them from leaving at gunpoint .

Didn't you also hear the news that Israel have left the areas that have been cleared of terrorists ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Because Jerusalem is Israel's Capital city and Embassies are usually in Capital cities and the USA supports democracies and also USA aid to Israel supports the USA economy because ALL that aid goes straight back to the USA

1967 Israel occupied East Jerusalem. Illegally. As West Bank and other areas. Originally Israel is the aggressor since 1946.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you read my post. But you only concentrate on the last line.

Did you ever think or write that "group x" does this or that?

All of group x? All the time?

If we want to be accurate then we should look at each individual anywhere in the world as an individual. Not all Christians think the same, not all Jews do the same, etc.

But I guess we can agree that if you take a million Muslims, they do in average different things than a million Christians or a million Jews.

So, in this case, who kills so many Palestinians? What is the short answer for that?

P.S. My neighbor is Israeli, and probably a Jew. I like him and I don't blame him for what is going on in Gaza. 

Wasn't there 300 000 Iraqi civilians  killed by the USA and allied forces in the Iraq war ?

34 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Because Jerusalem is Israel's Capital city and Embassies are usually in Capital cities and the USA supports democracies and also USA aid to Israel supports the USA economy because ALL that aid goes straight back to the USA

except for the Bidens ..   they prefer China and Ukraines $$$$

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Haven't you been following the news and events ?

Is Al - Jazeera your only news source ?

Didn't you  hear the news that Israel gave Palestinian civilians a safe passage out the war zone and told l them numerous times to leave the area ?

Hamas stopped them from leaving at gunpoint .

Didn't you also hear the news that Israel have left the areas that have been cleared of terrorists ?

Yes, I saw the news that Israel tells Palestinians to go away from A to B because Israel will bomb A. And then, a few days or weeks later, they tell Palestinians to go away from B to C because they will bomb B. Do you see a pattern? Go away, go away, GO AWAY!

We don't care where you go or if you live. We just want you out of here.

And Israel prohibits lots of food, medicine and other essentials to reach the people who need it. If they die, who cares? 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, newbee2022 said:

1967 Israel occupied East Jerusalem. Illegally. As West Bank and other areas. Originally Israel is the aggressor since 1946.

The USA Embassy is in West Jerusalem, which land isn't disputed . 

East Jerusalem is a different area 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, I saw the news that Israel tells Palestinians to go away from A to B because Israel will bomb A. And then, a few days or weeks later, they tell Palestinians to go away from B to C because they will bomb B. Do you see a pattern? Go away, go away, GO AWAY!

We don't care where you go or if you live. We just want you out of here.

And Israel prohibits lots of food, medicine and other essentials to reach the people who need it. If they die, who cares? 

Israel are fighting the Hamas terrorists and looking for the hostages 

If the Hams terrorist were bought to justice for their crimes and the hostages were released  , then Israel could stop the war .

Hamas could stop the war if they wanted to

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Why are we suddenly allowed to publicly criticize Jews?

Poor me post, much :saai:. So everybody else in the world is fair game except for Jews?

If folk can openly criticise this or that group, then why not jewish people? What is special about them? Ok, I'm a country, but just for being English I am routinely despised by most of the world and they will slag me off to the nth degree on here and elsewhere without thinking twice. And that is alright. If I kick back, it is akin to pissing in the wind. Ok, so that is different because of course a Jew could also be English etc etc so it is about a subset. Without drilling down too much, let's state the obvious... perhaps stop carpet-bombing defenceless people then you may get a more positive response. 

The thing is, bigotry toward Jews is probably one of the oldest recorded (and long lasting) instances of bigotry. It is also one which, time after time, had actual severe negative consequences for that group. Saying it's just like anyone else is fine, but not accurate. Given that a massive part of that got to do with the two of the World's most popular religions, it's an issue.

Your 'carpet bombing' comment is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post - people commenting strongly on related matters, but without the benefit of knowledge.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Criticizing Jews = not ok.

Criticizing the Israeli government and leaders = ok.

Criticizing any organised religion = ok.

@ozimoron

The issue is people conflating these things.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Their behaviour and complete disregard for children's and non combatants safety in Gaza maybe?

What 'behaviour' would that be?

And do all Jews bear responsibility for the fighting in the Gaza Strip?

As for your 'disregard' bit - Hamas's own leaders welcomed civilian casualties, labeling them as 'necessary sacrifices' for the 'cause' (and worse).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Absolute crap. If you are talking about Hamas, there is not a single person on this board who has not condemned Hamas, of those who have posted on any relevant thread. And that's just the political organization.

No wonder you call yourself a "moron " , you suffer from "selective" reading .......

Wait for it ....

I stated Left wing groups such as ..Greens , Antifa ..Gay groups ,

...they have never spoke out against the religion of peace but protest against Christians and Jews !

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

No so long ago it was absolutely out of the questing to speak against Jews. I remember very well on Reddit there was "Free Hong Kong" movement that went for months. Then somebody started "Free Palestine" movement which got a huge traction. Withing 12 hours everything was delete, everybody banned and there was no more "Free Palestine" movement. That was maybe 2 years ago.

But since January 2024 we are suddenly allowed to criticize Jews. And even encouraged. There are news how they are bombing children. News about anti Jews protest. News about this and that. Just right now if you look in new threads on this website there are 3 active anti Jew threads. Not so long ago you were not allowed to criticize them privately and suddenly mass media itself are pushing against them? 

What caused such a dramatic shift? 🤨 

Because the Jews are doing absolutely terrible things in Gaza. Things that are absolutely beyond the pale for ordinary, decent, humane people. Let's fave it the Jews have had an easy run, implementing apartheid, land theft, committing daily atrocities against a poor, vulnerable, oppressed people....and it has gone on for getting on for 80 years. And all criticism hushed up in the media in the US and to a lesser extent in the west (and if you want to discuss this, I'm willing to give an extremely graphic example). For Hamas killing 1000 odd people and taking a few hostages, the Jews have killed 27000 innocent civilians. Now I have no objection to Jews killing Hamas, but if to kill a terrorist you drop a 2000lb bomb on a group of innocent and oppressed civilians and kill scores of them, then I really have a problem with the morals of that. And I have a problem with any person that condones that violence, because it says to me that such people have no morals worth talking about. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might be because the Israeli government has murdered over 27,000 while claiming they are trying to avoid civilian deaths. Because some people find that offensive and a massive over-reaction to an attack on them. Just a guess.

The 27,000 figure includes Hamas men. It's not just civilians. Lumping them all together is a Hamas propaganda talking point.

Murder implies intent. If Israel was bent on killing Palestinian civilians, if this was what it was about - there would have been no warnings issues, not time to evacuate offered, and there would have been a whole lot more casualties on the list.

And again - Jews. Israel. Israeli government. Not the same.

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

Not exactly sure what you mean, my response was to the OP's question, not to any of "them topics".

Morch is an irritating commenter....I put him on ignore. He's not worthy debating and a rabid zionism supporter.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, steevjee said:

1 word buddy.....GAZA .....  watch the BBC news occasionally.

Not so much the Jews are at fault with this ongoing Genocide of innocent women, children and men, it's the Zionists led by the Butcher of Jerusalem Netanyahu

If it's not so much about Jews, then why bring them up?

Genocide? That's a loaded term, and one that's mostly used in the propaganda sense.

Zionists? There are pro-peace Zionists, far-right Zionists, religious and secular Zionists. People often toss the term about, without having a clear idea what it means. It's a wide definition, and encompasses a whole range of views.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

In my whole life I was never prohibited to criticise Jews. Sorry, I have to correct .. criticise Israel for it's politics concerning Palestinians and illegally occupying Palestinian land. 

Only in these times it's clear for the world that Israel is committing genocide. (s.The Hague Court of Justice)😕

The ICJ did not give a final ruling on that. Guess 'clear' means something else in your world.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's become epidemic but it's not new.

Look at any youtube video that mentions anything about Jews and that includes Israel because Israel is certainly about Jews, and you will ALWAYS find many comments that would give Hitler a woodie.

Also you will see that such Jew hate posts tend to get a massive amount of likes.

I'm not talking about subtle or borderline hatred either. 

This is a fact of life.

I wish it wasn't but it is.

Again it is NOT new.

Refer to the book -- Jews Don't Count.

This has exploded since October 7.

I met an Israeli lady last summer, here to see her musician daughter perform. She told me that she is one of hundreds of thousands of Jewish Israelis actively protesting against the actions of their Zionist government.

I was with a Jewish friend who also loathes the actions of Netanyahu's government - we all hugged when we said goodbye. 

It's not anti-Semitism - and it never was, any more than protesting against Hitler was anti- Caucasian or anti-Christian.

It's not pro-Hamas or pro-terrorism. It's pro- people being able to lead peaceful lives without being shot or bombed in their (hospital) beds. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

An interesting question - but is it really an "accurate" question?

I have some Jewish friends in northern America who have been criticizing the current Israeli leadership for many years.  Since the onset of the Israeli genocide/ethnocide in Gaza most of these friends have condemned Israel's actions.

The same situation exists in Israel - many many Jews (if not the majority) do not support their current government's actions, and there have been many public protests against the invasion of Gaza, especially by Orthodox Jews; these protests have been brutally put down by Israeli police and military, by order of Netanyahu.

Most of the Israeli protests related to the war got nothing to do with Orthodox Jews. The vast majority of protestors are either anti-government (a continuation of the months long mass protest prior to the war), or those identifying with families of the hostages. What you referenced were relatively small protest by an extreme faction within the Orthodox Jews, who opposes the very existence of Israel, and routinely identifies with it's enemies. Their nonsense is mostly tolerated in ordinary times, coming on the  heels of 7/10....understandably less so. By order of Netanyahu? Very doubtful, as he's not the one dealing with this sort of things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Criticizing Jews  ... not allowed.  That must be a location dependent thing.   Don't know where y'all from, but in USA, we have 'Freedom of Expression'.

We get to criticize anyone, everyone, any where, any how.  We want to hang a swastika on our front door, we can.  Want give German salute, and sieg heil, we can do that to.   Deny the holocaust, not a problem.

Won't get arrested, won't get fined, won't go to jail.   I couldn't live in UK, or the EU.  Not that I would do any of those things, but if wanted to or did want to be an A-hole, it would be my right :cheesy:

That goes with any race, sex, religion.  Voltaire and others get credit for this little diddly, but I agree 100% image.png.8ad4b9938fcc0d048edb4db16ac1d05d.png

I'm not too sure about this Khun LA....how long is it since you live in the states? I came here in 2005 first and bought a black T-shirt with a picture of GWB and Adolf Hitler together in the front of it. I wore it on the flight back home to Newark. The immigration guy asked me about the T-short and I said I objected to the Iraq War, the slaughter of innocent lives and the lies told to us before the war. He told me to come into a room where I was interviewed by some agents from ? (they wouldn't say). They made me take off the offending T-shirt, searched all bags etc and  then stole the T-shirt. I raged and argued about free speech and they told me that in the real world, what they said went. I left before I got beaten up. It was a heated debate, but I must say, no physical violence. So kudos to the agents on that. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Absolute crap. If you are talking about Hamas, there is not a single person on this board who has not condemned Hamas, of those who have posted on any relevant thread. And that's just the political organization.

@ozimoron

Again with the stupid blanket statements.

There were people who outright supported Hamas on this forum. On topics which you partook in.

You do this sort of thing on and on. Deny things which actually did happen.

And there are many more, yourself included, who constantly broadcasts Hamas talking points, propaganda, posters who do their best to normalize, minimize Hamas's actions and agenda.

It's hard to tell if you actually believe what you posted or simply lying.

Doesn't matter all that much.

• Like 1

For the same reason people can criticize Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, Confucianists, Animists, Shintoists, Bahaists, and the 100's of other minor regional native and folk religions found globally.

• Confused 1