Cannabis & Hemp Bill goes to Thai Cabinet next week

snoop1130

IMG_4441-2048x1423.jpg

Thailand’s Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew say the a revised version of the Cannabis & Hemp Control Bill is set to be presented at next week’s cabinet meeting. The proposed bill maintains the stance that “cannabis is strictly for medical purposes” and explicitly prohibits any recreational use.

The fate of the numerous businesses, that have sprung up in the absence of clear regulations since cannabis was removed from the controlled narcotics list in 2022, remains uncertain.

Previously, the Bhumjaithai Party, part of the current coalition government, advocated for cannabis liberalisation, but their bill failed to pass under the previous administration… multiple times. And its support was very thin with other coalition or opposition MPs.

By Peter Roche

Full story: Phuket GO 2024-02-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew say the a revised version of the Cannabis & Hemp Control Bill is set to be presented at next week’s cabinet meeting. The proposed bill maintains the stance that “cannabis is strictly for medical purposes” and explicitly prohibits any recreational use.

So the smoking rooms in street outlets will cease, people will not buy from those outlets and smoke at home???

Fantasy land.

Thai Minister of Public Health Unveils New Cannabis and Hemp Bill, Prioritizing Medical Use While Addressing Recreational Concerns
By Kittisak Phalaharn

image.png

National—On February 6th, 2024, Dr. Cholnan Srikaew, the Thai Minister of Public Health, publicly stated that the new Cannabis and Hemp bill is ready to be presented at the Thai cabinet meeting next week.

The new Cannabis and Hemp bill was previously discussed among activists on content that needed clarity from the Thai government.

Dr. Cholnan publicly revealed the content of the new bill and said that it was amended to be in line with the main objective of the current government’s policy statement to Parliament, only allowing marijuana to be used for medical and health purposes.

The content revealed that if marijuana was used in other unrelated ways such as recreational and entertainment purposes, it was considered misuse and could lead to legal penalties and fines, remarked Dr. Cholnan. One proposed fine for recreational use is 60,000 Baht, notes TPN Media.

As for the definition of what law enforcement and officials would consider recreational use, Dr. Cholnan said that if people are using marijuana for “fun and enjoyment” that would be considered recreational.

Meanwhile, cannabis shops promoting the use of marijuana are not illegal as long as they operate under government permission to use it for medical and health purposes only. However, the word “for health” was very vague and beverages that contained cannabis sold in convenience stores would need to provide proof of whether they were used for health reasons or not, said Dr. Cholnan.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The fate of the numerous businesses, that have sprung up in the absence of clear regulations since cannabis was removed from the controlled narcotics list in 2022, remains uncertain.

Strange. You'd think the bill would define the meaning of "recreational use"?

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

One proposed fine for recreational use is 60,000 Baht

Royal Thai Police will now be able to buy more safes to store their "ancillary" income.

I think they're going to push the details, crimes, and punishments, down to the Cannabis Control Board, established via this bill, which will manage the licensing, production, and certification of licensed medical professionals. Bud-tenders become medical cannabis practitioners. Start embroidering those white lab coats, the "Doctor" is IN.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwirod said:

Everywhere you go in

Pattaya you are hit by the stinking smell it makes.!!!!!

Can't say as I have noticed it. Got a whiff when on Soi Cowboy in BKK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So the smoking rooms in street outlets will cease, people will not buy from those outlets and smoke at home???

Fantasy land.

why fantasy land?

I've always done 'my own thing' and intend to keep doing so, even with this new law!

I'm not going to walk outside in the street with a joint in my hand! I do that always in the privacy of my house, there I got the right music, the right atmosphere, the right smoke!

smokingrooms are more for addicts who can't wait, need their fix now... 

in ChiangMai there are now way to many 'dispensaries', there's not enough market to cater, so that will filter itself out!

• Agree 1

Wonder if there will be any follow-up visits from the Victorian State MPs who "investigated"

Four Liberals flew to Phuket to investigate after Thailand relaxed its cannabis laws.
Nick McGowan paid for his own flights, while Renee Health and Bev McArthur did not.
Heath told reporters she thought cannabis was a "huge deal", while McArthur said she thought it was a good use of taxpayer money.

But did the Victorian taxpayers get any bang for their bucks? What will they do if Thailand changes it's laws? Would have to vist again?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/victorian-news-victorian-taxpayers-fork-out-hundreds-of-thousands-to-fund-mps-international-travel/d19f4493-515b-4504-8a59-c7b1fbbce7e2

• Haha 1

But that was only 3 Liberals. The forth, according to another web-site, said -

Warragul-based Liberal MP Wayne Farnham flew to Phuket in July to see the impact of Thailand's decriminalisation of cannabis. He claimed $3,340 for the trip.

"Given [Phuket's] popularity with tourists, I knew I would get a very good gauge how it has affected the local communities and tourism and tourists' attitude towards the legalisation of cannabis," Mr Farnham's travel report said.

Mr Farnham met with local police, two Australian bar owners in the tourist town, as well as having conversations with locals and tourists.

"Nearly all the locals I had spoken to are against it as they have already seen the negative it has had for their communities and I believe their experiences can be directly related to what could occur here in Victoria if such a change was to be proposed,'' his report said.

(My emphasis.)

I wonder if he spoke to any Russians, other bar owners (2 Aussie bar owners isn't a representative sample), stoned & straight tourists or stoned & straight locals to form a balanced opinion of the community & tourist feelings on the subject? 

13 minutes ago, greg71 said:

So its safe to assume your living in a tourist ghetto ? in the suburbs in most cities in thailand you would be hard pressed to smell anything other than rubbish ,fish sauce or diesel fumes 

I've not heard Hat Yai referred to as tourist ghetto before! Indeed I'm blessed with wonderful air here in the south, which makes the stench of ganja even more pronounced whenever I visit Bangkok. I don't mind if people want to smoke the stuff, but please do it in private or designated 'coffee shops' as they do in Amsterdam. Please, not out on the street and in public spaces.

• Agree 1