Motorcyclist Run Over by Truck on Pattaya Highway

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — A motorcyclist was tragically run over by an 18-wheel trailer truck on Highway 331 near Pattaya, Chonburi, Wednesday morning, February 7th, 2024.

The accident occurred at around 8:06 AM on the inbound lanes in Khao Mai Kaeow to Sattahip. Authorities identified the victim as an unidentified Thai male, estimated to be between 35 and 40 years old. He was clad in factory worker attire and sustained fatal injuries after being run over by the truck’s trailer.

The truck driver, Mr. Mongkol Datthumma, 38, stated that he was changing lanes from the middle to the right lane when he noticed the motorcycle rider driving beside him swerving.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

The truck driver, Mr. Mongkol Datthumma, 38, stated that he was changing lanes from the middle to the right lane when he noticed the motorcycle rider driving beside him swerving.

Too bad we can't get the other side's view of the accident. Hopefully there's video available. 

These trucks are out of control in Pattaya and environs.

Go to Laem Chabang police station and there are wrecks of trucks outside daily. 

Last night I witnessed a truck barrelling along the frontage road on Highway 7 at 120kmh

RIP to the motorbike rider. 

• Agree 1

Bugger,  I'd have thought the unlucky bike rider would have seen the truck and taken necessary action (Escape plan) 

The Honda X-ADV 750 has more than enough grunt to pull away from this truck. 

Perhaps we will never know the sequence of events.  Nevertheless it's a warning to all bike riders out there...  You gotta keep your wits about you. 

RIP to the rider. 🙏

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

"Authorities identified the victim as an unidentified Thai male"  Great work!

A sad incident, and sounds (and looks) like the truck driver changed lanes without looking.

or the m/c got in his blind spot.

• Like 2

Regardless of whose fault, had the guy been safely ensconced with 4 wheels, seatbelts and 2 tons of steel, he'd probably be looking at an expensive repair instead of a funeral.  If that.  It's harder to miss 4,400 pounds of steel in your mirror than a scooter.

One more data point.

• Agree 2

What truly happens with any accident here if they find a person at fault and death occurs?  Western countries they have manslaughter laws and huge payouts to families.  I get the feeling here nothing happens just an "accident" with no reprussions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I drove from pats to Trat yesterday, not only were many M/C driving the wrong way, but using those home made crossings on duel highways from fast lane across the ditch and onto another fast lane, also driving slowly on the shoulder of the right lane up to their homemade ditch crossing, very lucky I and others did not take that idiot out. On the bright side I only saw about 5-6 cars driving the wrong way on the 'hard shoulder'. :whistling:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Look, check clear, indicate, manoeuvre... 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Regardless of whose fault, had the guy been safely ensconced with 4 wheels, seatbelts and 2 tons of steel, he'd probably be looking at an expensive repair instead of a funeral.  If that.  It's harder to miss 4,400 pounds of steel in your mirror than a scooter.

One more data point.

Not everyone can afford to buy and run a car.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

Looks like the truck driver only noticed the bike after he ran it

Yup.

I have been riding my bike and trucks have swerved into my lane without checking. Typically, when I am on the inside.

I also sometimes think they will do something dangerous deliberately, especially if they perceive to have been wronged or slighted. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

he truck driver, Mr. Mongkol Datthumma, 38, stated that he was changing lanes from the middle to the right lane when he noticed the motorcycle rider driving beside him swerving.

A pity he did not notice him before changing lanes!