Promising news on a new Dengue vaccine

It's just the way it is, but I wonder why it's not for individuals 60+ and why it won't work for those previously infected. I'm above sixty and have had dengue once and obviously don't want to get it again. I keep reading these articles hoping they come up with a vaccine which will work for ALL cases. 

anybody still want to take shots after what is coming out slowly , which was conspiracy years ago and banned and censored but slowly dripping here and there... 10% more mortality ...  what was the news recently here... 500.000 less thais then a few years ago...

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dengue is a concern fir me when i spend time in Thailand.  It sounds horrible.   We usually spend time in the village sleeping under a net.  The mozzys are always getting in.  Wife dies a sweep with the shock wand each night.  Dont know how 4-5 get in during the day.   Could really ruin a vacation or life.   I have read it is in the South East USA. 

On 2/9/2024 at 8:30 AM, ross163103 said:

It's just the way it is, but I wonder why it's not for individuals 60+ and why it won't work for those previously infected.

That's not what the article says - it says this vaccine is actually more effective for those that have had a previous infection. As it states:

Furthermore, the vaccine was 79.6% effective in those with no evidence of previous dengue infection, and 89.2% effective in those who had previous infection.

And the results of this study don't mean that a person over 60 absolutely can't have this vaccine. The thing is just that since It was only tested on people under 60, that's the only age range they can actually recommend it for. That's not to say it wouldn't be safe and effective for people over 60 - for example, if it works on a 59 year-old, why wouldn't it work on a 61 year-old?

Though all things being equal, it's probably slightly less effective for older people, given that this is virtually always the case with almost all vaccines.

There's also a chance that they will do further studies to gauge its effectiveness in older age groups at a later date.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, there are options but only two of them, one of which is not recommended unless you've had dengue before, and the other one requires two injections to be effective.

Although this vaccine is not fully approved or available yet, the potential advantages to it would seem to be that it's efficacious and safe regardless of whether you've had a previous infection or not and that it only requires one shot to be safe and effective.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer