Welsh Father Faces Life-changing Reality After Thailand Holiday Accident

webfact

1 minute ago, paul545 said:

And you know they from experience? I’m on higher rate living and mobility allowance and my carer gets an allowance to take care of me and we don’t get even £250 a week. In addition I’ve been waiting for adaptations to just my bathroom for over a year so far and no date in sight of when it will be done. You know what I would prefer to not to be disabled and make a much higher living like I was previously and being independent and not rely on anyone to take care of me. Think you should get your facts right before

posting. 

Yes I do have experience since I am disabled myself and I would also prefer not to be disabled. The Occupational Therapist also makes an assesment of the urgency of need for the modifications and the job is placed in a queue. He will probably go straight to the top

9 minutes ago, RobU said:

Yes I do have experience since I am disabled myself and I would also prefer not to be disabled. The Occupational Therapist also makes an assesment of the urgency of need for the modifications and the job is placed in a queue. He will probably go straight to the top

Pray tell me how you get £300 per week then so I can apply because I certainly don’t get it. Maximum you can get from PIP including carers allowance is £250. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, RobU said:

If you want more than the Occupational Therapist recommends you have to pay for it yourself. Not bull***t but the honest truth and as I said all benefits are backdated to the date of application using Gofundme is scamming good hearted people who think there is no support

Give it up will you?  You have no experience whatsoever of dealing with this local authority yourself yet you talk as if you are the Oracle?  OT at this authority couldn't even organise getting the small adaptions required for my mother during the latter stages of her Alzheimer's so we ended up paying ourselves, let alone something like this?  It was the same for a close friend who was at risk of falling due to a back condition causing her to lose feeling in her one leg.  One of my closest and oldest friends in this world has not long recently left her job of 14 years as Policy Manager for a well known charity that supports people like this because she couldn't take the stress anymore of seeing people who genuinely deserved help but were constantly being let down by this authority amongst others.   Such was her knowledge on the laws regarding this subject that she even used to attend the Senedd and advise the Welsh Ministers on any policy changes they were proposing. Yet apparently you know more than all of us?  

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve rode big bikes & scooters in Thailand over the last 20 years and never had a problem , it’s like everything just be alert & have extra caution , I’m riding motorcycles for the last 35 years , this man was very unlucky , no one here knows the circumstances, not all foreign bike riders in Thailand are idiots , it’s some of the Thai drivers I’m more scared about the idiotic behaviour they show on the roads , I got a mini bus from hua hin  to Bangkok around  15 years ago & that was my last time ever in a minibus in Thailand , after that I said never again , I will gladly pay more to go in a taxi , this fool drove that minibus like  a rally car , it was pure crazy dodging in and out of traffic at high speed , people in the bus were scared to death & in shock , anyway I’ve seen a lot less needy cases setting up gofund me , clearly this man is paralysed for  life , I’m sure he will need all the help he can get for the future to help him adapt as best he can !! Have a little empathy guys to this man’s tragic situation 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

I assumed nothing. In fact, he has the benefit of all my doubts as I made no direct aspersions to his actual skills or licensing status. However, I do pine for better news reports on these types of events. As facts do matter. And I did, in fact, give him credit for his safety sense for wearing a helmet. My aspersions are reserved for all the "other" tourist who frequently ride without skills, knowledge, licensing, or safety sense. Moreover, even those who are foolish deserve to recover their health well. Without exception. But I will not give anyone a free pass who fails so miserable at self responsibility that they need to open a beggers banquet on GoFundMe.

I didn't say or insinuate that you did assume anything. You didn't and I thought that was nice. I was in agreement with you and was just adding some personal context as to why.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sad but a message to all foreigners -  DO NOT ride a motorcycle in Thailand! 

I live in a tourist town, Hua Hin and daily come close to hitting these idiots on the road. 

Why make such a statement - people should be able to judge if they can ride or not - I understand warning them of the dangers and tey need to be aware

I take you don't ride a motorbike in Thailand?

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Why make such a statement - people should be able to judge if they can ride or not - I understand warning them of the dangers and tey need to be aware

I take you don't ride a motorbike in Thailand?

Maybe a bit harsh. I meant tourist shouldn't do it.

I very rarely ride a m/c in Thailand. I've seen too many deaths, accidents.

3 hours ago, barrybike said:

I’ve rode big bikes & scooters in Thailand over the last 20 years and never had a problem , it’s like everything just be alert & have extra caution , I’m riding motorcycles for the last 35 years , this man was very unlucky , no one here knows the circumstances, not all foreign bike riders in Thailand are idiots , it’s some of the Thai drivers I’m more scared about the idiotic behaviour they show on the roads , I got a mini bus from hua hin  to Bangkok around  15 years ago & that was my last time ever in a minibus in Thailand , after that I said never again , I will gladly pay more to go in a taxi , this fool drove that minibus like  a rally car , it was pure crazy dodging in and out of traffic at high speed , people in the bus were scared to death & in shock , anyway I’ve seen a lot less needy cases setting up gofund me , clearly this man is paralysed for  life , I’m sure he will need all the help he can get for the future to help him adapt as best he can !! Have a little empathy guys to this man’s tragic situation 

You can see some type of distinction between the driving habits of Thai minibus drivers and Thai taxi drivers?! I avoid both, from experience, never again will I use either of their services.

12 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

The statistics say otherwise. In 2021 the Insurance Ombudsman in the UK upheld the claims of 28% of the people wo made a claim that there insurance claims for motor insurance had unfairly been rejected. A large number of rejected claims are not even taken to the Ombudsman, so in reality the number of unfairly rejected claims is much higher

Having had a very good travel insurance for years ( never claimed) , and a totally unforeseen illness which was covered by this insurance, I can promise you that most will find every way possible to delay or not pay out . Luckily I had the money but it’s taking ages to get reimbursed, although they have sent an acceptance letter. Reading the reviews of this big company a huge amount of customers were very disappointed/ angry at the rip offs, because that’s what most are, rip offs.

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe a bit harsh. I meant tourist shouldn't do it.

I very rarely ride a m/c in Thailand. I've seen too many deaths, accidents.

THere are people who visit who are perfectly good motorcyclists.

THe problems are when people can't adapt quickly to Thai driving conditions. 

THere are also a lot of people who don't realise they aren't licenced or insured to drive in Thailand - and the rental companies don't tell them.

But I know loads of expats who never adapt to driving in Thailand - mind you they don't realise how badly they drive at home either - except in Thailand the results are far more dire. THey're the ones who spend their time shouting at other motorists

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Having had a very good travel insurance for years ( never claimed) , and a totally unforeseen illness which was covered by this insurance, I can promise you that most will find every way possible to delay or not pay out . Luckily I had the money but it’s taking ages to get reimbursed, although they have sent an acceptance letter. Reading the reviews of this big company a huge amount of customers were very disappointed/ angry at the rip offs, because that’s what most are, rip offs.

I think you replied to the wrong person

17 hours ago, kwilco said:
20 hours ago, webfact said:

navigated the complexities of insurance coverage, ensuring Lee’s medical and repatriation costs were met.

THis needs to be explained. It sounds like he did everything right -so which insurance company laid on the "complexities"???

...or, which was the insurance company that met his medical and repatriation costs?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 hours ago, monty1412 said:

insurance companies generally are not always the most proactive in wanting to oblige by the terms of the policy..

As they have reputations to uphold and regulators to answer to, insurers will abide by the policy conditions for legitimate claims covered by the policy.

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Completely wrong on every level. Insurance companies want nothing more than "to oblige by the terms of the policy"

The problem is people step outside those terms and then whine when claims are denied

Popular misnomer that insurance companies dont want to pay. Nothing fosters goodwill and repeat business more than a properly administered claim but what most people completely fail to grasp is that the acturies expect a certain level of claims over any given period and premiums reflect that already

I worked in Insurance for 6 years

Well said, you're right, but it won't be well-received here!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

The statistics say otherwise. In 2021 the Insurance Ombudsman in the UK upheld the claims of 28% of the people wo made a claim that there insurance claims for motor insurance had unfairly been rejected. A large number of rejected claims are not even taken to the Ombudsman, so in reality the number of unfairly rejected claims is much higher

"...the Insurance Ombudsman in the UK upheld the claims of 28% of the people wo made a claim that there insurance claims for motor insurance had unfairly been rejected".

So the ombudsman rejected 72% of those "unfair rejection" claims and only upheld 28%!

"A large number of rejected claims are not even taken to the Ombudsman...".

How do you know that - what is that "large number"?

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

Popular misnomer

a what???

The article states that he was covered but implied it wa difficult to get sorted - There's no implication that he was "outside" any part of his contract

• Thanks 1

I was waiting for the part where it says he's not insured, or that his insurance refuses to pay. Happily, this is not the case. Not only paid, but also transported him back home which is amazingly expensive for medical transport. Wishing him well! 

21 hours ago, RobU said:

Also if he was working for the NHS or local authority he will get a generous lump sum and a disability retirement income.

And will they pay to medivac him back there?

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the Insurance Ombudsman in the UK upheld the claims of 28% of the people wo made a claim that there insurance claims for motor insurance had unfairly been rejected".

So the ombudsman rejected 72% of those "unfair rejection" claims and only upheld 28%!

So you dont think 28% is a significant number? That is just motor insurance policies. Other types of insurance , the number is over 60%

There are lots of studies that show a large number of people are not even aware that the ombudsman exists. You can extrapolate from that. If you want to find out more, google is your friend

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And will they pay to medivac him back there?

Read the article, the insurance company already did that

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

So you dont think 28% is a significant number?

So you don't think that 72% is much more significant number than 28%?  Approximately 90% of all insurance claims, generally, are paid out by insurance companies.  Google is your friend, if you dispute that.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So you don't think that 72% is much more significant number than 28%?  Approximately 90% of all insurance claims, generally, are paid out by insurance companies.  Google is your friend, if you dispute that.

Wow, you think it is acceptable to unfairly reject 28% of claims?
Not all insurance is the same. Different policy types have different rates of rejection. 
I quoted numbers specific to a country and type of insurance, and referenced my source

You have made a blanket claim, without any reference

If you think 28% unfair rejection is reasonable, then you aint worth my time

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

You have made a blanket claim, without any reference

Ok, here's just one reference, there are many others...

"What Percentage of Travel Insurance Claims are Denied?

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of Canadian travel insurance claims are paid by insurers, while a relatively small number of claims are declined:

• 95.3% of travellers had their travel insurance claims paid1, according to a KPMG survey
  • 98% of submitted claims were fully or partially paid2, according to a Pollera Strategic Insights survey

The Pollera survey also found a high rate of satisfaction among individuals who submitted a claim:

• 91% of respondents who submitted a claim were satisfied with the claims process from start to finish2"

https://www.snowbirdadvisorinsurance.ca/learning-centre/top-5-tips-avoid-having-your-travel-insurance-claim-rejected#:~:text=95.3% of travellers had their,a Pollera Strategic Insights survey

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:02 PM, hotchilli said:

The accident also served as a harsh lesson in safety and preparedness. Lee credits his survival to wearing a helmet and wisely choosing comprehensive travel insurance.

He now advocates for these precautions to other travellers, hoping to prevent similar tragedies.

Check your insurance cover and stay off the motorcycles.

I came on expecting one of the usual idiot with no insurance rents a motorbike despite not knowing how to ride one stories. Happily it's about someone that actually had insurance.

Nothing wrong with riding a m'bike as long as one knows how to and drives according to the conditions. Oh and is prepared for a life altering accident that was caused by some one else.

I had my accident, though only slightly life altering and a pain in the wallet, caused by some moron driving into me while almost stationary.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, here's just one reference, there are many others...

"What Percentage of Travel Insurance Claims are Denied?

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of Canadian travel insurance claims are paid by insurers, while a relatively small number of claims are declined:

• 95.3% of travellers had their travel insurance claims paid1, according to a KPMG survey
  • 98% of submitted claims were fully or partially paid2, according to a Pollera Strategic Insights survey

The Pollera survey also found a high rate of satisfaction among individuals who submitted a claim:

• 91% of respondents who submitted a claim were satisfied with the claims process from start to finish2"

https://www.snowbirdadvisorinsurance.ca/learning-centre/top-5-tips-avoid-having-your-travel-insurance-claim-rejected#:~:text=95.3% of travellers had their,a Pollera Strategic Insights survey

Travel insurance, oranges and apples. You have further proven you are not worth wasting my time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

great, good for you, gold star 

It indicates to me that insurance companies can be very quick and helpful in dealing with hospital fees.

I take it you don't agree but can't explain why? Or are you just be facetious?

• Agree 1