Boat Carrying Chinese Tourists Capsizes, All Safely Rescued

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It is reported that all eight people wore life vests.

the tourists and crew members struggling to stay afloat in the middle of the sea.

Those two statements may seem to not make sense (especially when seeing the pics, showing not particularly rough seas as was reportedly the case), although they could make perfect sense, but I highly doubt the writers/translators know how that could be.
Perhaps Thailand needs to make a law similar to what is in place in the U.S. (probably elsewhere too, I don't know). There is a difference between life vests and life jackets. Life vests in the U.S. are not approved as emergency personal flotation devices, life jackets are certified as such. Life vests and life jackets have different purposes and different construction. Life jackets are required to carry on board for safety. Life vests are for pleasure purposes. "Life vests" are named poorly and shouldn't have the word "life" in them, since that conveys something that they are not designed or approved for, although in an emergency they are certainly better than nothing.
I'm assuming this is not understood and the reporting is ambiguous without a clear understanding of the differences by the translator. But now I'm really curious about the laws in Thailand regarding this. I wonder if anyone on here might know...?
Not like a law would mean much here, but you never know... someone might actually pay attention.

Edited by Sig
  • Agree 1

but fortunately all were safely rescued by a passing boat

I don't think it should be ' but fortunately ...   It should just be ' fortunately all were safely ... 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

When was there ever an assisting boat here?

I guess you'd have to read the posted articles in full to know that....🤔
Did you think a drone took that pic? Or some boat just hanging around them without helping?🤯
Or maybe you were being funny in that a boat didn't assist, but rather people from another boat assisted??🙃

Edited by Sig
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 12:57 PM, webfact said:

newsweb_16-9-2024-02-11t13-e1707636988276.jpg

A LONG-TAIL boat carrying seven Chinese tourists plus the vessel’s crew members capsized off Krabi today (Feb. 11) but fortunately all were safely rescued by a passing boat, Amarin TV said.

The accident occurred near Koh Lao Lading island, around 300 metres from Koh Hong with the two islands being part of Krabi’s Than Bok Khorani National Park.

The long-tail boat capsized after being hit by high waves with the tourists and crew members struggling to stay afloat in the middle of the sea.

by TNR Staff

TOP: Chinese tourists and the boat’s crew members floating in the sea after the vessel capsized Feb. 11, 2024. Photo: Amarin TV

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Any Chinese tourist police treading water with them?