Air Pollution Crisis Escalates with Hotspots Surge

snoop1130

It's disgusting but just something people have always had to take precautions (masks, air purifiers) against and live with.  In the past we were none the wiser as there was no social media publicity; now every time it hits red, there's a panic!

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely a crap day down here / PKK 😷

Don't need a meter to tell me that, as can't see the headlands of the bay from the house, <5kms away, or the hills to the west, <10kms away.

Rest of the province is a bit worse:

image.png.20dbe74f224bea34c34662b22604dd04.png

We're a bit better at & in the house:

image.png.c0aef3f6df00ae1ce380f932aaa20c19.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You just have to look where are the winds coming from... and right now the winds are from the East. In other words... Cambodia... and there are a lot of fires there. There's nothing you, the government, or anyone can do to stop this... You are at the mercy of the winds.

Untitled.png

On 2/13/2024 at 3:25 PM, spidermike007 said:

Many of us really like it here. For a dozen good reasons. The The air is horrific. And nothing is being done about it. The regressive politics are annoying too, but these days I try not to think about politics much, as it tends to be a worldwide sewer.

Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at under 700 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there.

It is a very personal choice. I have friends who seem to be dropping like flies. I could be dead next year. You just don't know. I am not extravagant, but I live very, very well. A nice house, a new car every few years, new motorbikes for my gal and I every few years, a great art collection, plenty of good wine in the wine cooler, a new 77" OLED TV, a world class home theatre, plenty of international travel, etc. For me, it is a great lifestyle, that I could only dream of in the US. Well worth the expense and very easy to justify. Life is way too short. I have never been a person of extreme thrift. To each his own.

I used to have more issues than I do now. I worked on my attitude, which was getting in the way of appreciating Thailand for what it is, and was clouding my experience here. Used to stress over stupid stuff, as you can see from some of my past posts. Used to allow the politics to make me angry. Now it is not something I take seriously, just something I comment on, without anger or an emotional investment. Now, I just tend to laugh it off. Spent some real time back in the US recently, and it allowed some clarity and perspective, that I am very grateful for. Now, I just chuckle at most of the nonsense. Water off a duck's back, so to speak.

So your sacrificing your life?

that makes perfect sense!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

So your sacrificing your life?

that makes perfect sense!

Could you please explain how expats in Thailand are sacrificing their lives, or are you just engaging in nonsensical rambling? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think A/C and an Air Purifier is a must this time of year.

With my A/C and Purifier turned on my air quality is 14 ug/m3. If I turn them off and open the windows it goes up to at least 22 ug/m3. 

48 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

8.00 am it was 151 here. Now look at it ffs!!

232🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵FB_IMG_1707979458347.thumb.jpg.e50af269e4fb88338b8bc976317cf45c.jpg

Looking at the prevailing winds this is what is blowing down into western Bangkok for the past three or four days. The entire Bangkok region to the north, west, and south is solid red for AQI (unhealthy). A line of fires running along the entire western border area. I don't think that's rice burning.

According to WHO the airquality of Bangkok is 15 times more than being accepted... They advise to stay indoors, wear masks outside ... Why did the Governemnt the last years nothing about it?? blacksmoke cars still driving around, almost no electric cars and charge points, no push for private solar panels, etc etc..but overcrowded roads, with outdated cars, burning  leaves and garbage  by farmers and households and temples, and nobody cares..More imporatnt issues than blowing a horn   

20 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

According to WHO the airquality of Bangkok is 15 times more than being accepted... They advise to stay indoors, wear masks outside ... Why did the Governemnt the last years nothing about it?? blacksmoke cars still driving around, almost no electric cars and charge points, no push for private solar panels, etc etc..but overcrowded roads, with outdated cars, burning  leaves and garbage  by farmers and households and temples, and nobody cares..More imporatnt issues than blowing a horn   

Why should Thailand be any different to all the other countries in Asia affected by pollution?  India and China have it a lot worse.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why should Thailand be any different to all the other countries in Asia affected by pollution?  India and China have it a lot worse.

According to the WHO  Bangkok is most polluted city in SE Asia 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Could you please explain how expats in Thailand are sacrificing their lives, or are you just engaging in nonsensical rambling? 

From the air pollution Einstein!

Edited by stats
flame comments removed

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

And it's not exactly good optics for a tourism hub, hoping to regain its position.

Let`s see a BJ , easy women. or breathing polluted air.  I can wear a mask.  Se ya soon..

Edited by Gknrd

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Tourism are oblivious to the problem as it doesn't make international news 

They (I assume you meant 'tourists') are in for a shock then! 

Bad news always travels, usually fast imo.

14 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Tourism are oblivious to the problem as it doesn't make international news 

I don't know where you get that idea from - last year there was a huge amount of coverage in the European press.

23 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Where does the air indoors come from ?

aircon can reduce the concentration of particles. THe government would like you to think they are better than they are. you can get air purifiers and wear masks (N95/FFP2)

Edited by kwilco