Thaksin to walk free from prison on Sunday

snoop1130

What a stupid headline this guy never ever spent one day in prison he has enjoyed the privilege of luxury in his own private room in the police hospital all pre arranged before  he even set foot on Thai soil 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Seppius said:

Love to see his face when he sees all the big cannabis shops on lower Sukhumvit road

He’s most probably seen them already there is absolutely no way has he spent all this time in the police hospital

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Wouldn't it be fun if he became PM again!

Watching the haters here on AN become apoplectic & choking on their false teeth would certainly make it worthwhile.

And the poor people of Isaan amongst whom I live would be delighted, though without illusions.

If your living in Issan you must be a poor farang 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

“Its a miracle “ deaths door for months so he didn't have to go to jail, now he is being pardoned fir enough to leave the hospital hallelujah hallelujah. Who needs modern medicine when all that was needed was parole 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

S__36454403_0_0_0.jpg

Convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to be released this Sunday, as he is on the latest list of 930 prisoners granted parole, according to Justice Minister Tawee Sodsong today.

The minister said he has already approved the list of prisoners who qualify for parole.

“The Corrections Department proposed a list of convicts for me to approve. Of the 945 prisoners named, 930 met the criteria, which include grave illness, being handicapped or being over 70,” he said.

Thaksin is 74 and suffers from a ‘serious illness’, which has enabled him to stay in the Police General Hospital for many months.  After being convicted on corruption charges in August last year, he spent only a few hours in prison before being transferred to the hospital.

Caption: File photo : Thaksin Shinawatra

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

So, was sent to jail on his return after escaping overseas, only for a couple of hours then spent his time in a Police General Hospital, (cos of his illness & being over 70). Yippee no jail for me then I will be 71 soon.

Something he said or done as reported in the Aseannow news a week or two ago, back in 2015/2016 the  charges have been dropped.

The question I ask is will he pay Thai tax when he brings his hundreds of millions into Thailand ? Looking at how lucky he is at the moment I guess not, but please can he do my lottery ticket for me this week 555555.

My Thai wife told her sister last night about the coming of taxing forieners who stay here for 180 days or more. I support both my wife sister & both her daugthers, one is at Uni: already, the other is still at school she is 17 years of age & is very bright, on hearing this taxing business she said "does Thailand want retirees living here & spending their pensions here or not ?

What I will be finding out about the double tax treaty between the UK & Thailand, did orginally both sides just state what they wanted & both sides just sign. Thailand just seems to be changing their rules do they not need to discuss with the UK & other countries ? Its looking like they do not. So I bet its not easy to get out of not paying uk tax on my uk pension which I will be finding out. 

12 hours ago, mark131v said:

Bild he sold out himself and his supporters for his own selfish wants

The one man who had the chance to make a difference by backing MFP and putting the country and his people first decided not to as at heart he is just another sad old hi-so hypocrite

I don't hate him in fact I couldn't give a monkey's about him but I do pity Thailand as they have been well and truly shafted and at present meaningful change is impossible

The man who stated he would never get in bed with the junta! the very generals you keep going on about and Toxin has given them carte blanche to do whatever they want without any fear or consequence

There's none so blind as he who refuses to see....

You are absolutely correct. Now try looking sideways through your blinkered vision.

IMHO you speak out and what you say is only your opinion. Do you truly have ANY insight as to what went on with in any discussions?

You can't even spell his name correctly, yet you expect that everybody believes what you say.

You are not even Thai, and therefore, like me, and every other farang on this forum, it means nothing to the Thai people who do have a voice and a vote and at the next election will be the ones who decide what will happen, unless the powers that be decide to ignore the vote like they did this time.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Shame Thailand... protestors get more punishments than this guy....Not even 1 day in jail and no action because he violated section 112 too. Where is justice ???

In a land where coup leaders overthrow elected governments, and are lauded as heroes while taking away the freedom of all its citizens, people keep harping on about Thaksin. He's a non-event in a list of Thailand's real political troubles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Who committed the worst crimes Thaksin or Prayut, for a start Prayut was not even elected, he took over the country with an illegal coup, and only stayed in office because he was backed up by other soldiers and their tanks and guns, and this was for 9 years, and left office probably a lot richer than Thaksin.

So who really was the bigger criminal?

Once you break the law, what different what was the amount one million or a 100 millions? especially as a person

who's  job is/was to uphold the law, but with Thaksin case, it will only strengthen the resolves of others to commit crimes

seeing that YOU CAN be a criminal in this country AND get away with it to resume normal life...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thaksin to walk free from prison on Sunday .... Oh ! ,I thought he would be on a stretcher or at least in a wheelchair ,

regards worgeordie

A wheelbarrow would be a fitting mode of transport. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJoy said:

When was it great the last time?

It was great when I first came here, I don't dispute anything any expat says about Thaksin as he was in power in I think his final year then. There was no compulsary 90 day reporting then, just a pleasant 200Ks ride to the border every 90 days. All my expat friends were happy then.

Contrast that with now, I have only the odd farang friend now who both live far away from me. the rest have either died or gone back to their own country. Too many negative immigration issues now.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

A wheelbarrow would be a fitting mode of transport. 

You could be forgiven for thinking it might be a wooden overcoat if you had been listening to the MoJ and DoC

I think he will make a miraculous recovery thus highlighting the excellence of Thai healthcare in general and the honest and compassionate work of the medical staff of the Thai penal system in particular 

Then again if you're not gullible you might work out it's just another steaming pile of bs carted out for the naive and hard of thinking.....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

You could be forgiven for thinking it might be a wooden overcoat if you had been listening to the MoJ and DoC

I think he will make a miraculous recovery thus highlighting the excellence of Thai healthcare in general and the honest and compassionate work of the medical staff of the Thai penal system in particular 

Then again if you're not gullible you might work out it's just another steaming pile of bs carted out for the naive and hard of thinking.....

As a dyed-in-the-wool cynic how could I not agree with you?😀

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Can you not see the coup leaders are walking free because of Toxin and his me first attitude and abject capitulation?

No, I cannot see that. The rest that you wrote was virtually unintelligible, so I didn't bother to include it in your quote.

Can you not see the real problem in Thailand? There have been 22 coup attempts in Thailand since 1933, 13 of which were successful. What's the point of elections and having PMs if they are so easily removed? They serve at the pleasure of the military.

A coup is way above the level of a crime. A coup removes the law and then changes it through the writing of a new constitution. A coup removes freedom from the people. In comparison to coup leaders, Thaksin is a petty criminal, yet forum members obsess over him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, connda said:

930 met the criteria, which include grave illness, being handicapped or being over 70, or being...a billionaire.

Hm,..Being a billionaire with money stolen from that same country that released him from his luxury so called prison...

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

No, I cannot see that. The rest that you wrote was virtually unintelligible, so I didn't bother to include it in your quote.

Can you not see the real problem in Thailand? There have been 22 coup attempts in Thailand since 1933, 13 of which were successful. What's the point of elections and having PMs if they are so easily removed? They serve at the pleasure of the military.

A coup is way above the level of a crime. A coup removes the law and then changes it through the writing of a new constitution. A coup removes freedom from the people. In comparison to coup leaders, Thaksin is a petty criminal, yet forum members obsess over him.

Hm,...A petty criminal with more than 2500 innocent deaths on his record !?!?.....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1