Problem With New Glasses

Bangkok Barry

23 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

Almost all Top products are made in a factory in the UK.

I suggest it comes down to how your eyes were tested. 

If you want to be sure you must get them done in an eye hospital.

I attend Bangkok Pattaya and Bangkok Jomtien for my glaucoma, I also had my cataracts done at Jomtien. I enquired about an eye test for glasses after my cataract op, nope neither of them employ optometrists which I thought very strange ?

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Modern eye tests don't use the chart ....... it's peer through an eyepiece and watch the tractor moving across the screen.

Results on a printout from the computer.

Same in these underfunded govt hospitals?

7 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

What lenses are you paying for? My son gets distance glasses he uses for driving for 400 baht including frames. Why are you paying 4,000? I need progressive photochromic lenses and the cheapest I have found in Thailand are 14,000 baht. You don't seem aware of the vast differences in price depending on a person's requirements. 

I will throw mine away then. Get the 400 baht ones like you said.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

You need to say what type of lenses you have. For the price I assume they are progressive? The fit of the glasses can change how well you can see through progressive lenses. Higher up or lower down your nose changes the part of the lens you are looking through. I have issues when wearing a crash helmet as it tends to raise the glasses slightly. Plenty of videos on YouTube for how to adjust the fit. 

For the people who are suggesting you were ripped off on price they are just ignorant on the cost of progressive lens glasses in Thailand. Cheapest I have found were 15,000 baht four years ago. I now get mine from Zenni for 3,000 baht.

You are spot on with this. Yes, they are progressive, and I/the shop tried changing the fit but with no real benefit. I'm going to test now at a hospital to check whether the test at the shop was accurate and take it from there. I'll also check those YouTube videos. 

1 hour ago, Straight8 said:

Well then if they are taken back and can't (won't) be corrected, you're sh!t out of luck.

You're basically out of options.

That's certainly possible. I posted in an effort to see if there might be a way to avoid that.

It's all been said really.

1) Did the 'Top' shop produce a correct prescription?

2) Did they make your new glasses correctly to this prescription?

I was experiencing headaches at one time. I went to a new (different) optician. He asked me; 'whose glasses are these?'. He advised me that a) They were too strong for my needs and 2) A prism had been incorporated which I did not need. Mistakes can be made.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

The frames must be expensive if he paid 20k total. Just reuse them. 

The frames were only a minor part of the cost. They were around 1400 with a 70% discount. The lenses are progressive and cost the rest. I did ask if I could use my old frames but they warned there might be a danger of a lens falling out, and the old frames were looking a bit tatty after about four years of use, so.... 

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The frames were only a minor part of the cost. They were around 1400 with a 70% discount. The lenses are progressive and cost the rest. I did ask if I could use my old frames but they warned there might be a danger of a lens falling out, and the old frames were looking a bit tatty after about four years of use, so.... 

My wife had progressive and hated them. Not my thing either. 

1 hour ago, uttradit said:
1 hour ago, Straight8 said:

Well then if they are taken back and can't (won't) be corrected, you're sh!t out of luck.

You're basically out of options.

No, you simply change the lenses based on new eye test. 

Who pays? You think the shop will for their mistake? That isn't the Thai way. They'll deny deny deny there is a problem and it must be me at fault.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

If you go to a tailor for suit, if it doesn't fit, they make it right. 

Glasses are no different. 

They are. You can't adjust a finely manufactured lens for obvious reasons. They are manufactured very precisely according to the prescription.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who pays? You think the shop will for their mistake? That isn't the Thai way. They'll deny deny deny there is a problem and it must be me at fault.

I'd stick to single lense. My wife had issues in the west with progressive. Harder to get the lense right. The frame needs to sit perfectly on your nose. That's what she found. That's where the issue could be.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Furioso said:

To the OP I have several questions but first; how much better are your old glasses compared to these new glasses? 

Good question. They are very similar, to the extent that I've even thought of going back to the old ones. One eye has changed from last time and the balance was wrong, but I'm not seeing much difference, if at all, in that eye. That really does need to be sorted out, which is why I went for new. A hospital check will tell me if the shop screwed up.

52 minutes ago, Wonderyenta said:

A couple of posters have touched on what I think may be the problem. Ask the practice to check your PD (pupillary distance) - both your own and then they need to check that the centres of the lenses match. If they don’t, one or both eyes will not be looking through the optical centre of the lens.

Next, assuming the lenses are multi focal, aka progressives, aka varifocals get them to check the heights. Heights will show the manufacturing lab where the intermediate and reading portion kicks in. If the reading height is too low, you’ll be raising your head too much in order to read. If you get clearer distance vision by dropping your head too much, the reading portion is too high. Side to side head movement can be a factor, as is the angle at which the frame tilts towards the face, lens distance from the pupil itself, but I’d be asking them initially to check heights and PDs. 
Those measurements (heights and PD) are just as important as the prescription itself.  Often the prescription is fine but the measurements described are wrong….common everywhere I’m afraid, not just here in Thailand.

Me - I’m a Dispensing Optician with many years under my belt. good luck!

Your final sentence explains your excellent post. But, we did try various movements with no real benefit. Up down, pulling away from the nose a little. We didn't try side to side though, and now I've tried that it does make a difference. It's good info to take back to the shop.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Good question. They are very similar, to the extent that I've even thought of going back to the old ones. One eye has changed from last time and the balance was wrong, but I'm not seeing much difference, if at all, in that eye. That really does need to be sorted out, which is why I went for new. A hospital check will tell me if the shop screwed up.

Maybe you should have a check up with an eye doctor. Some issues can not be resolved with lenses.

My left eye, I was diagnosed with a leak between retina and eyeball (or something like that) and you can't adjust that with lenses

• Thanks 1

I would go and see an ophthalmologist at a private hospital and have him or her writing down a recipe which corrections your new glasses will need. Make sure they are not telling you that you need katarakt surgery at both eyes, except it is indeed needed. A katarakt surgery can be done as an outpatient, but the costs at a good private hospital are THB 90k for both eyes.

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Same in these underfunded govt hospitals?

Dunno, my local government hospital is filled with the latest equipment.

Portable X ray machines so you don't need to leave your bed.

Physio straps electric pads all over my damaged shoulder.

Never seen anywhere in the world with more modern equipment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Ok, this is similar to my experience. I've bought 3 pairs of eyeglasses in the last 4 years and they can't get my left eye to see 20/20. It's close, but I can definitely see better with my right eye. I'm pretty sure it's because my left eye has an astigmatism..but it could be something else, who knows? I got my last pair a couple of months ago at Terminal 21. I was very thorough with the exam, telling them my left eye wasn't seeing as good as my left..they got a little flustered and suggested I might have to see an eye doctor. I ended up paying 6,000 them for a pair(it took them 30 minutes lol)just to see if they could make it any better than my other 2 pair at home. Turns out it's about the same, my left eye just a little blurry/out of focus.

I'm going to see an eye doctor here in Pattaya, she's pretty good maybe it's just an astigmatism and it can be corrected but I'm 58 and I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 and contacts since I was 17 my eyes have been through hell I might have to manage expectations. I do have confidence I'll at least find out what's wrong. 

Maybe some of this info will help you out. My best suggestion is to go to a different place and tell them your situation, maybe it's your eye(s) and not your prescription. 

I went back to the shop 3x and they cut and inserted new lenses (each time 20+k at the shop's expense) until they got it right.

They didn't measure the fit - think farang nose - for my progressive lenses properly.

25 minutes ago, uttradit said:

I'd stick to single lense. My wife had issues in the west with progressive. Harder to get the lense right. The frame needs to sit perfectly on your nose. That's what she found. That's where the issue could be.

We did try moving them around but it didn't really help. The investigation continues.

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

Almost all Top products are made in a factory in the UK.

I suggest it comes down to how your eyes were tested. 

If you want to be sure you must get them done in an eye hospital.

Made in UK? I very much doubt it. Most probably China, as are all the cheapo ones in UK, and Zenni.

4 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Ok, this is similar to my experience. I've bought 3 pairs of eyeglasses in the last 4 years and they can't get my left eye to see 20/20. It's close, but I can definitely see better with my right eye. I'm pretty sure it's because my left eye has an astigmatism..but it could be something else, who knows? I got my last pair a couple of months ago at Terminal 21. I was very thorough with the exam, telling them my left eye wasn't seeing as good as my left..they got a little flustered and suggested I might have to see an eye doctor. I ended up paying 6,000 them for a pair(it took them 30 minutes lol)just to see if they could make it any better than my other 2 pair at home. Turns out it's about the same, my left eye just a little blurry/out of focus.

I'm going to see an eye doctor here in Pattaya, she's pretty good maybe it's just an astigmatism and it can be corrected but I'm 58 and I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 and contacts since I was 17 my eyes have been through hell I might have to manage expectations. I do have confidence I'll at least find out what's wrong. 

Maybe some of this info will help you out. My best suggestion is to go to a different place and tell them your situation, maybe it's your eye(s) and not your prescription. 

All good info. Eyes are the weak part of a human, aren't they. Not much else starts to break down at such a young age, does it. Look at the kids who walk onto the pitch with PL footballers - even tiny kids who are around 4-5 years old are sometimes wearing glasses. Better to be a dog. I think I used to be one but did something bad like bite the postman so got sent back as a human as punishment :biggrin:

Those fancy outfits will spend a long time trying to flog you  expensive frames but very little time on the eye examination. I get a new set of lenses every couple of years from the guy in Big C Nadee Udon Thani. He charges three or four thousand for bifocals. Just a small stall nothing fancy and no eye candy.

40 minutes ago, paddyfield7 said:

I would go and see an ophthalmologist at a private hospital

I will get a check, but it really doesn't have to be at a private hospital. Most government ones are fine and 70 million Thais seem to manage. I've only stayed in a private hospital once, and the water pump failed so there no water on upper floors - it had to be carried up in buckets. And the emergency button in my room didn't work. My family got me out before they killed me.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Those fancy outfits will spend a long time trying to flog you  expensive frames but very little time on the eye examination. I get a new set of lenses every couple of years from the guy in Big C Nadee Udon Thani. He charges three or four thousand for bifocals. Just a small stall nothing fancy and no eye candy.

My frames were 1400 of the 20,000 I paid.

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your final sentence explains your excellent post. But, we did try various movements with no real benefit. Up down, pulling away from the nose a little. We didn't try side to side though, and now I've tried that it does make a difference. It's good info to take back to the shop.

Good to hear you will check with them. I’m sure they will want to correct a mistake.

The “magic” words you need to get them to check in this order, assuming the prescription is correct , and that can easily be verified by their equipment as all multi focal lenses have engravings on each lens confirming some prescription information are :

1) PD

2)heights

3) Pantoscopic tilt

4) Back Vertex Distance

5) Off or Outside Axis

6) Induced Prism or missing prescribed prism. 

without your previous and new prescription to compare along with you, your new specs and a Dispensers toolkit,  its hard to know what has occurred. It is however a very common problem and can be rectified. It’s a common response ( the world over! ) for staff to blithely advise you to just get used to them. Sometimes yes, most times no! Please don’t start imagining there’s something sinister going on with your optical health. Optometrists can easily detect any potential problems and advise you accordingly. I suspect in your case, the glasses haven’t been made as per prescription and most of all, the 6 above named measurements. Happy to give any further advice should you wish. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My frames were 1400 of the 20,000 I paid.

Then those were expensive, premium quality lenses, Hoya, Essilor or Zeiss? Same as mine.

Mine are Varifocal, Transitioning with ani-glare and scratch coatings. After two years the coating started to come off on one lens. Within a week a new pair of lenses was fitted

So you get what you pay, or do not, pay for.