Problem With New Glasses

Bangkok Barry

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Duna

Dunno them!

The top store was plastered with their ads. Funny, the blue and white boxes etc matched the shop colours. Maybe they are part of the same company. As the most seen optical shop in Thailand, as common as Starbucks and nearly as common as 7-Eleven, you'd think they could be trusted. We'll see. I've received some good advice here, some from professionals. We'll see where it takes me.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The top store was plastered with their ads. Funny, the blue and white boxes etc matched the shop colours. Maybe they are part of the same company. As the most seen optical shop in Thailand, as common as Starbucks and nearly as common as 7-Eleven, you'd think they could be trusted. We'll see. I've received some good advice here, some from professionals. We'll see where it takes me.

Indeed from sales advertising on Lazada appears to be home brand of a chain.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, now I remember. Duna are Top Shop's 'Premium quality' lenses, probably reserved for falangs! 555

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I did take them back and they say they don't know why there's a problem. How would you deal with that?

had exactly the same problem (maybe the same company TOP something that we can't name) 23K with Essilor lens, 1 year old, at time of purchase told them that I see worse than with the previous ones, they changed the lens, but the problem still,  after 2-3 visits gave up as they didn't want to refund, visited the local oftalmo he gave me good lens, not a great choice of frames, but I can see better, thus accepted the frame and will not go back to that  company

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I would reiterate - start with my mini troubleshooting guide first. That will not/should not cost you anything. Don’t waste your time or money on checking with another Optom or Ophthalmologist. They check your vision and the health of the eyes. The finished product is something they generally have no experience in. Dispensing is not taught in depth for Optom students anywhere in the world. Everyone assumes if the patient’s vision is off, go to another person for yet another test. Don’t . It’s 9 times out of 10 a dispensing error. Spending money on more tests should be a last resort,  after completing the Wonderyenta 😉 checklist. In short, go back, get them to perform the checklist and see what they say. If no use, get the Optom to recheck your vision. Then  start again, but that should be the very last resort! 

• Thanks 1

That famous so called top store  is no good as they do not carry the major world class brands.

Ok those ladies in their tight business suits-uniforms can look good, but we do not go there for a massage (?), but to get quality products. And that is far from being the case.

By experience, get your reading and power specs-glasses done back in Europe if possible,  Even in the USA,  when I though I was getting a great deal during a visit long time ago, they just sold me some chinese crap. Even for eye shades, avoid buyin here as far to much scams and fakes all over Thailand.

8 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

That famous so called top store  is no good as they do not carry the major world class brands.

Ok those ladies in their tight business suits-uniforms can look good, but we do not go there for a massage (?), but to get quality products. And that is far from being the case.

By experience, get your reading and power specs-glasses done back in Europe if possible,  Even in the USA,  when I though I was getting a great deal during a visit long time ago, they just sold me some chinese crap. Even for eye shades, avoid buyin here as far to much scams and fakes all over Thailand.

I bought my last pair at the same store with no problems, despite the clothes they were wearing. And I live in Thailand, not Europe or the USA, so I need to buy here. The quality is nothing to do with where the lens are made. They are prepared for me in Thailand by, I assume, Thai technicians. Of course, that might be the problem this time.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

• Are you over 55? 
  • Do you have a strong prescription? -4.00 or higher? 
  • Does your prescription say you have an astigmatism? If so it will say a number under Cylinder? Ex: -0.50. Then another number under Axis. Ex: 066.
  • When you wear your glasses is your vision the same via both eyes? To test you can read something across the room while covering one eye.

• Confused 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:10 PM, NoshowJones said:

How did the prescription what?

You don't know what is an eyeglass prescription, and that is done by someone before you order new glasses?

Edited by stats
flame comment removed

8 minutes ago, Furioso said:
  • Are you over 55? 
  • Does your prescription say you have an astigmatism? If so it will say a number under Cylinder? Ex: -0.50. Then another number under Axis. Ex: 066.
  • When you wear your glasses is your vision the same via both eyes? To test you can read something across the room while covering one eye.

Sorry, that’s not how it works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:
  • Are you over 55? 

Why are you asking these questions? How does it relate to my original post? Why do you want my eye medical situation?

My neighbour had the same problem when she ordered her glasses from an optician.The problem was blurring and headache after reading for an hour and she is 45 years old.
She went to another ophthalmologist to check the prescription from previous ophthalmologist if the prescription was correct.

The problem of her bluring was the optical shop and not doctors prescription and she bought another item of glass.

But I dont know your eye problem and about of your purchase. Did you order progressive glass or reading in short distance?

I am from Greece-Athens and a couple of years ago maybe three years ago I went from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur 

With prescription from ophthalmologist I bought Silhouette progressive glasses with ultra light rimless frame for about 140€ and even I got a second Silhouette frame with ultra light frame.
I bought the eyeglass accidentally because I depart from Bangkok for a week to avoid paying visa and went to Kuala Lumpur to visit a friend from Norway who works in an oil company in Kuala Lumpur and his house is in private guarded area of K.L.

Malay and Malay Chinese origin third class generation migrants both are very nice and kind people so I ordered my eyeglass at 14:00 -15:00 midday and I take them after 3-4 hours withought any problem.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I recently got new glasses from what I assume is the top company as they are located in every town in the country. And, if anything, they are less effective than my previous pair. The staff smile a lot but don't really seem to have an answer, and of course getting anyone in Thailand to admit they made a mistake is impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do now? Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

I had new glasses in Jan 2023 and didn’t wear them as I didn’t feel comfortable , also made me a bit dizzy.Went back when home from Thailand, saw someone capable  who fitted the branches properly and got them properly balanced , sorry can’t think of another word. Been great ever since. You could see an ophthalmologist and take your old and new glasses with you. Have you had a proper full eye test lately ?, after 60 you need once a year check. 

• Thanks 1

Kind of surprising a thread about glasses runs to 5 pages (so far), with some folks 'focused' on price rather than vision.

Unless I missed it, you did not mention the actual reason for your dissatisfaction...not clear? Dizzy when wearing? Double vision?

I would suggest going to a hospital and having an proper eye doctor check you out, not only for an exact prescription, but for things such as macular degeneration and cataracts. With the strong sun in Thailand, cataracts come early in life, and can evidence themselves in double vision. I don't know your age, but I remember my father developing macular degeneration after age 60. Glasses cannot correct for either of those.

Also, if your test includes 'this one is better', there is a possibility you over-correct on the prescription. That can make you dizzy when wearing the glasses. Most eye doctors see what you say is clearest, and knock a little off for the actual prescription.

Good lenses with proper coatings and ground accurately across a wide range of the lens are well worth the money. Cheap lenses have poor coatings and the prescription is only accurate in a small center portion of the lens. Frames are obviously a personal choice. A nice titanium from from a company like Lindberg will retail for 25000 baht but every shop will reduce to maybe 17000. Many of their frames have a groove, so it takes an expert to cut the lenses. With the groove, the lens will never pop out, and with titanium frames, you have many chances to inadvertently sit on your glasses without breaking anything.

If you haven't checked, do look at cataracts or MD. The sun is a killer for cataracts. I have met doctors who do freebies in Myanmar on 10 year old kids who live along the Ayewaddy River, and the combo of strong sun and reflection off the water gives the kids cataracts at a young age.

Edited by Walker88

39 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Kind of surprising a thread about glasses runs to 5 pages (so far), with some folks 'focused' on price rather than vision.

Unless I missed it, you did not mention the actual reason for your dissatisfaction...not clear? Dizzy when wearing? Double vision?

I would suggest going to a hospital and having an proper eye doctor check you out, not only for an exact prescription, but for things such as macular degeneration and cataracts. With the strong sun in Thailand, cataracts come early in life, and can evidence themselves in double vision. I don't know your age, but I remember my father developing macular degeneration after age 60. Glasses cannot correct for either of those.

Also, if your test includes 'this one is better', there is a possibility you over-correct on the prescription. That can make you dizzy when wearing the glasses. Most eye doctors see what you say is clearest, and knock a little off for the actual prescription.

Good lenses with proper coatings and ground accurately across a wide range of the lens are well worth the money. Cheap lenses have poor coatings and the prescription is only accurate in a small center portion of the lens. Frames are obviously a personal choice. A nice titanium from from a company like Lindberg will retail for 25000 baht but every shop will reduce to maybe 17000. Many of their frames have a groove, so it takes an expert to cut the lenses. With the groove, the lens will never pop out, and with titanium frames, you have many chances to inadvertently sit on your glasses without breaking anything.

If you haven't checked, do look at cataracts or MD. The sun is a killer for cataracts. I have met doctors who do freebies in Myanmar on 10 year old kids who live along the Ayewaddy River, and the combo of strong sun and reflection off the water gives the kids cataracts at a young age.

One of the most useful contributions to the five pages. Yes, surprising how many told what they paid, which is totally irrelevant.

I am intending to visit a hospital. The point you make about 'knocking a little bit off' could be a factor. When tested at the shop I wasn't entirely convinced about one eye, the one that had changed since I last got glasses, but was told it was better not to change the setting any further. It was a bit vague due to translation limitation. It may well be that a 'stronger' prescription might cause some dizziness. In that case, I'd have to live with less than perfect vision.

I've also reached 75, so I have to expect some deterioration I suppose. whether it is something more, hopefully the hospital will reveal.

Of the 20,000 I paid, the frames were 1,400, discounted from 5,000. The cost of the progressive lenses made up the rest.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:31 PM, impulse said:

Which are the cute ones with the long legs in Thai shops?  So hard to say no to them...

That's the shop the OP bought his at. You get fawned over by a long-legged lovely for the 20,000 baht and get a pair of rubbish specs.

It's called a trade-off.

I used a Top glass company here. 32,000 baht. When they tested my eyes with the machine that many lenses were changed to find the right combination my sight was crystal clear. But when I got the new glasses it was off. Not clear at all. They claimed the prescription of the lenses were the exactly as on the machine.  They set up the machine and of course crystal clear. But the lenses not . Much money wasted.  Never again. 

• Haha 1