Garage Ceiling/Metal Roof Advice Needed

carlyai

I thought (but unsure) that the steel garage roof is leaking around the roof screws. (The roof screws have that black washer around the head).

I can't get up on the garage roof at the moment, so some of the locals are inspecting the roof.

The garage has two dividing walls seperating the carpark, store room and aquaponics areas and it seems only the car park is affected.

The ceiling paint is peeling off around many of the ceiling screws, as the pictures show, but there does not seem to be discolouration around the peeling paint that would indicate water leaking through the roof screws. Also the roof screws are in different places than the ceiling screws, so now I am not sure the peeling paint is from water.

Can you have a look and give us some advice please?

It's impossible to get a roof plumber around here.

Garage Images: Aquaponics room on the left with the roll-a-door, storeroom in the middle and carpark on the right. Only the carpark has the problem.

20240214_123242.thumb.jpg.e89502079e061b83ae5f2f468373a003.jpg

20240214_123132.thumb.jpg.79fae55323c11dfb08602dcb2dd1b650.jpg

Carpark with the peeling paint around many of the ceiling screw holes. Water damage in the middle front from a falling tree.20240214_122808.thumb.jpg.819fd0a170b9276d6d0bd938d72abcb6.jpg20240214_122814.thumb.jpg.55dfaad2e51639e8e1204933545b672a.jpg

Edited by carlyai
Stuffed up.

29 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What material is the roof? Some materials, like i.e. zinced steel plates, needs special paint. (But I don't know the details.)

Thanks for reply.

The roof is factory painted with that pressed silver heat sheild, but that is all peeling off.

This area looks suspect, If that is the highest part of the roof, and it slopes down from there. Then it looks like there is a gap between the two parts of the apex. Water getting in there and travelling down the slope. 

20240214_123242.jpg.04a4e224ebb02611f3d135b5a0ee2a25.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

This area looks suspect, If that is the highest part of the roof, and it slopes down from there. Then it looks like there is a gap between the two parts of the apex. Water getting in there and travelling down the slope. 

Thanks, could be ...will get the guys to check.

Just thinking more about it and the problem may have started after the tree fell on the shed. Only the top 1m of the tree hit the shed. So it could have made the gap at the apex join bigger and water flowing down between the metal and insulation.

Will get the guys to check.

I would get a better roofer to take a look at that.

You have a gap between the horizontal ridge and sheets.

The “cop jua” (sorry, I only know the Thai, means like ridge covering) should cut the ridge to go around the vertical ridges. 

The metal ridge covering isn’t so expensive, if you end up replacing it, get a wider sheet and a thicker gauge metal, it will cover any existing screw holes and look a bit smoother.

IMG_9645.jpeg

Edited by recom273
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are there signs of corrosion around the roof screws/ washers? Sometimes washers have a carbon content, which can create an electrolytic cell.

How heavily do you chlorinate your pool? Do you get any ceiling condensation?

Is the roof material factory painted, or painted after installation?

IMO the most probable cause would be the tree damage, allowing water access.

13 hours ago, recom273 said:

I would get a better roofer to take a look at that.

You have a gap between the horizontal ridge and sheets.

The “cop jua” (sorry, I only know the Thai, means like ridge covering) should cut the ridge to go around the vertical ridges. 

The metal ridge covering isn’t so expensive, if you end up replacing it, get a wider sheet and a thicker gauge metal, it will cover any existing screw holes and look a bit smoother.

IMG_9645.jpeg

Thank you.

I see what you mean. 

I'll get another roofing 'expert' to replace the ridge cap.

The project was a horrible building job done by other 'exerperts'.

I ended up getting rid of the building mob and finishing it off myself, but the frame and roof were already completed. I completed the rest of the walls, windows and doors and electrical wiring.

Head builder now retited to the Moonkhood. 🙂

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

'Are there signs of corrosion around the roof screws/ washers? Sometimes washers have a carbon content, which can create an electrolytic cell.'

I think the place where the builder bought the roofing material was not the same place I bought the roofing material for half the pool cover build. 

The garage roof material (metal and insulation compound) has seperated and rust started on the underside of the material. The roof material has only been factory painted on one side.

My pool roof looks the same material but has not seperated, so insulation is still like when I bought it 7 years ago.

I'll get the new guys to check the screws.

'How heavily do you chlorinate your pool? Do you get any ceiling condensation?'

The garage roof is not over the pool. No condensation.

'Is the roof material factory painted, or painted after installation?'

Roof factory painted but only one side. The other side is insulation.

I would never buy this type of sandwiched material again.

Evidently the insulation comes unstuck at the ends and rain gets in between the insulation and metal and travels along the sheet.

'IMO the most probable cause would be the tree damage, allowing water access.'

Yes, now I think so. The coconut tree that hit (well it nearly missed) the shed when the BIL cut it down. Guys holding ropes around the tree so it wouldn't hit the shed, but the tree was too heavy for them. Bad luck they said.

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Thank you.

I see what you mean. 

I'll get another roofing 'expert' to replace the ridge cap.

The project was a horrible building job done by other 'exerperts'.

I ended up getting rid of the building mob and finishing it off myself, but the frame and roof were already completed. I completed the rest of the walls, windows and doors and electrical wiring.

Head builder now retited to the Moonkhood. 🙂

Don't worry, you aren't the only one - I would have preferred not to have become an expert in any building trades, but these guys are so full o'sheet you need to be watching every step they make, it really wears me down. We are currently doing electrics, and yeah, I have had to pretty much do all the planning and containment myself (more like my laborer) and the electrician arrives tomorrow.

btw - how about your roller door? Is it economical? where did you find a supplier? I have only casually looked at it yet, but im thinking about an economical solution for a workshop door.

Edited by recom273

18 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Agreed.

55 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Don't worry, you aren't the only one - I would have preferred not to have become an expert in any building trades, but these guys are so full o'sheet you need to be watching every step they make, it really wears me down. We are currently doing electrics, and yeah, I have had to pretty much do all the planning and containment myself (more like my laborer) and the electrician arrives tomorrow.

btw - how about your roller door? Is it economical? where did you find a supplier? I have only casually looked at it yet, but im thinking about an economical solution for a workshop door.

Hello,

Well the roll-a-door was another stuff up.

Initially there were 3 of us all building and we decided to get these 10 doors from China. Orded them all but then two of the guys had issues about money, so, after months that all fell thru.

Then got a mob in Mukdahan, Mukdahan Shutters to do the job. The boss wasn't there at the time so the office girl took the order.

Horrible job. 

Went back and complained and they sacked the girl as she moonlited with her unkle, not the real shutter mob team.

Same happened with my Q Con blocks for the shed.

Drove the 100km to Roiet to QCon suppliers and ordered the 100mm blocks (normally 70mm if I remember) from the store manager and their installation team.

Wrong blocks arrived, so sent them back.

Q Con installation mob arrived and were drunk for 3 days.

After some blockwork I had to sack them as well, then I did it myself with a couple of the local farmers.

Back to the Roll a doors after my winge.

I think there are good doors and company in Bangkok when I checked, but that was years ago, may be better now.

China is still an option for well constructed cheaper doors, but the freight and port marfia is a problem.

Make sure that you have enough head room to install the tracks for the door to slide under the ceiling.

Good luck.

As well as this DIY forum, the Electrical Forum is excellent. Crossy from the electrical forum is a world ex a pert. 🙂

Also plan to install solar.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

I would have preferred not to have become an expert in any building trades, but these guys are so full o'sheet you need to be watching every step they make, it really wears me down.

Annoying indeed, and even if you point out obvious mistakes, they just say "Mia Pen Ria'' and carry on regardless, the roof is the most important thing in any building, Thais still don't understand how to fit a Tin roof correctly, but they seem ok with tiles.

I had a one year guarantee on my house build, yer right my roof was leaking exactly where I had pointed out they were not doing it right, he came armed with 6 tubes of silicon and charged ME for the silicon.  

It occurred after the falling tree

There could exist tiny gaps which will draw in water. Capillary working.

Also could happen with the screws and their washers. Roof get heated up and cooling again in night.

Working of screws, expand and back again. In time the washers can be bad and create space for capillary working.

Tree felt and maybe speeded up proces. Maybe also on (shifting/bending) plates.