Internal flight carrying significant amount of cash

Woof999

I need to fly from Bangkok (probably DMK) to the North sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'll be buying some property and the sellers (a group of farmers) are insisting that I pay them in cash. The sum is 5M baht. I don't want the hassle of trying to withdraw that amount in cash from a branch far from where I live, so the only real option is to carry the cash with me (no option for bank transfer, cashiers cheque or anything else).

Am I likely to have any issues during security carrying this amount of cash? Driving is another option, but it's a 10 hour drive which, although I've done many times, I hate doing.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

The cash is paid in the land office when the Chanotr is changed. Not before.

From my memory I paid at the land office with the cashiers check made out to the owner, there might have also been some cash for the tax, and the owner paid 50% of that. I think the tax is 5% ?? but even then carrying 250K is not safe. I think you can get a check from the branch there. If the sale falls through you can pay it back in, you don't even have to worry about losing the check on route.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try posting in the real estate forum.

I have travelled with 2M for a land deal before, not a problem - When withdrawing cash at a bank outside your province be aware they will sting you, I think I paid about 5K or more when I just jumped on a plane to buy land without the cash (the first and last time).

Yes, you could get rolled at any time, I was worried leaving the bank, someone could be watching you withdraw the amount and snatch it off you in the car park, also at the land office the next day - you see so many people walking around with A4 envelopes of cash. If I was a Thai criminal I would hold up the land office at 11:00 am in the morning. 

Even tho' there is a lot of dodgy dealings at the land office (the seller claims a lower price for the land, the tax paid is less and the buyer needs to confirm the lower amount to be paid) they will not transfer the chanote until they see the money change hands - we were told that a bankers draft or bank transfer was OK, but would take an extra day to process, meaning we would have gone through the whole process of waiting for a number to come up the following day - it was easier to carry the cash. 1M THB is disapointingly small when placed in a brown manilla, there were others waiting with far fatter parcels than I.

Cash deals are quite normal when buying land, the land may be family land and no family member trusts another, not enough for millions of THB to be put into an individual account - they all want to hold the envelope on the way home, they speed home and divvy up the amount, maybe debts need to be paid, maybe an agent needs to be paid a commision, afaik cash is the norm, although others experience may vary.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Try posting in the real estate forum.

I have travelled with 2M for a land deal before, not a problem - When withdrawing cash at a bank outside your province be aware they will sting you, I think I paid about 5K or more when I just jumped on a plane to buy land without the cash (the first and last time).

Yes, you could get rolled at any time, I was worried leaving the bank, someone could be watching you withdraw the amount and snatch it off you in the car park, also at the land office the next day - you see so many people walking around with A4 envelopes of cash. If I was a Thai criminal I would hold up the land office at 11:00 am in the morning. 

Even tho' there is a lot of dodgy dealings at the land office (the seller claims a lower price for the land, the tax paid is less and the buyer needs to confirm the lower amount to be paid) they will not transfer the chanote until they see the money change hands - we were told that a bankers draft or bank transfer was OK, but would take an extra day to process, meaning we would have gone through the whole process of waiting for a number to come up the following day - it was easier to carry the cash. 1M THB is disapointingly small when placed in a brown manilla, there were others waiting with far fatter parcels than I.

Cash deals are quite normal when buying land, the land may be family land and no family member trusts another, not enough for millions of THB to be put into an individual account - they all want to hold the envelope on the way home, they speed home and divvy up the amount, maybe debts need to be paid, maybe an agent needs to be paid a commision, afaik cash is the norm, although others experience may vary.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed and informative reply.

Yes there are 5 family members on the Chanote and they all want their pound of flesh from the deal. Trying to get 5 cashiers checks with the names all perfect etc etc was probably a bad idea. Although it's a little awkward, having to hand over cash didn't strike me as all that ridiculous here.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:43 PM, Woof999 said:

I need to fly from Bangkok (probably DMK) to the North sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'll be buying some property and the sellers (a group of farmers) are insisting that I pay them in cash. The sum is 5M baht. I don't want the hassle of trying to withdraw that amount in cash from a branch far from where I live, so the only real option is to carry the cash with me (no option for bank transfer, cashiers cheque or anything else).

Am I likely to have any issues during security carrying this amount of cash? Driving is another option, but it's a 10 hour drive which, although I've done many times, I hate doing.

Thanks.

Try one of the armored car companies, see what they will charge for you to pay into their account and they deliver. They have insurance covering up to certain amounts in each vehicle.

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:44 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Public transport where they scan your bag, what can possibly go wrong.

A group of sellers want a cash transaction and can deny you ever paid them.

You only hand the cash over at land office when you get chanott or at lawyer for lease.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Thats a lot bucks for a hunk of land up north,

what are you going to be getting for your

hard exchanged baht.

Approx 15 rai. One off the bucket list I hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:53 PM, Woof999 said:

Now that sounds like a plan. Thank you.

I would ask the bank about that plan first. Am pretty sure my wife was paid with a cashiers check for a property years ago in Samui. She took it to the bank there and expected to get the money. They told her cashiers checks had to be processed via head office and it would take a few days for the money to show in her account. Things may have changed by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:43 PM, Woof999 said:

Thanks.

Group of farmers? Are you Thai or a foreigner? You do realise foreigners can't own land, right?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:03 PM, Bill97 said:

You could take a cashiers check and cash it when you get there.

yes anything else is very fishy and dangerous

you might wake up dead in the fields

5 million, isn't that what 2 black scotsmen recently got from myanmar dude?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/15/2024 at 5:27 PM, brianthainess said:

From my memory I paid at the land office with the cashiers check made out to the owner, there might have also been some cash for the tax, and the owner paid 50% of that. I think the tax is 5% ?? but even then carrying 250K is not safe. I think you can get a check from the branch there. If the sale falls through you can pay it back in, you don't even have to worry about losing the check on route.

Cashiers cheque sounds good but check carefully how quickly it would clear. 

From my actual experience selling a townhouse in Pattaya:  Buyer (Thai lady) insisted she pay whole amount by local cashiers cheque issued by her bank (not same bank as the bank I use).

At Land Office she handed over the cashiers cheque. My Thai adult son took the cashiers cheque quickly to our local K Bank, after some inspection of the cheque and a long phone call to the issuing bank, our K Bank manager said:

- We will accept the cheque and it appears to in order and the issuing bank confirmed (in the phone call the details, cheque number etc.), for deposit to your account but we will not cash the cheque instantly.

- It will take about 5 to 7 days to clear then we will give you the cash. At the same time it became clear that the cheque had been issued by another bank (not the bank indicated earlier by the buyer) and the other bank branch was in the upper corner of Essan on the border. 

My son had by this stage, at the lands title office indicated he would not hand over the original chanue or the keys to the property until he had full payment in cash in his hands. B

Buyer lady went into a hissy screaming fit and insisted 'you can't tell me what to do, I want the chanut today / now.'

Son had also called an old police buddy and a snr police office from Pattaya station appeared at the LTO. Police guy was quick to get the full story and suggested we all move to the local big branch, in Pattaya, of the bank that had issued the cashiers cheque upcounty.

Local Pattaya manager of the bank which had issued the cheque upcountry said, I have one possible solution and he then spoke to my Thai son and myself and the snr. cop: "if you open a new account at my branch (in Pattaya) right now (take 10 minutes of less) then I can accept the cashiers cheque into your new account, clear if instantly and give you cash immediately. 

10 minutes later my son had the full payment in cash in his hands.

Them the snr Pattaya cop said to my son, I will go with you to K Bank now to ensure the cash gets into your K Bank quickly (now) and with no issues.

Then the snr Pattaya cop said to to buyer lady 'Why did you change the agreed bank details, I don't trust you and I will have an officer immediately check your name for any previous issues with you.  By 5.00 pm tomorrow I will call the seller to inform him of the result of our check'. 

Buyer lady then gave snr. cop a mouthful of abuse.

Cop responded by asking my son 'do you have all the documents needed to change the name on the electricity, telephone and water bills?

Son responded 'Yes I have them all ready'. Snr cop replied 'one of my men will go with you and the buyer tomorrow morning to the 3 utility offices to ensure the name change is smooth and fully completed'. 

Son whispered to me and the snr cop 'but her name is not yet on the chanut'.

Snr cop whispered "I understand, I will take care of that as needed.'

Next morning about 10.00 am name change on all utilities completed.

Then back to the LTO and smooth sailing to get the name change on the chanut completed.  

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

At over 300,000 baht per rai, let us hope it's not only Chanote, but it's in a great location, very close to a big city. That is big money for farm land. 

Red Chanote. Directly on quiet 5m wide concrete road with fiber internet and 3 phase power.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Red Chanote. Directly on quiet 5m wide concrete road with fiber internet and 3 phase power.

Regardless that is still a very, very high price per rai. Is it close to a big city, is it a very special area? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

It's in the perfect location for us. We looked at quite a few plots, some cheaper, some not, and they all had at least one major drawback. This one is perfect (for us) because:

1.) It's pretty much exactly where we wanted to be.

2.) It has the perfect road frontage width (100 metres).

3.) It is on a 5m wide government road which joins the main local road just 300 metres away.

4.) School for the kids is 320 metres down the road.

5.) Has decent fiber internet just down the road.

6.) Has 3 phase power (that one is important for me and my toys, though still plan solar).

7.) It's the perfect shape - almost perfect rectangle. Good for all the things I want to do (pond and a few other goodies).

8.) It needs zero landfill. The soil is actually almost a metre higher than the frontage road.

9.) It backs on to another unused plot of approximately the same size that we might be able to pick up very cheaply, not that we need it.

10.) There is a pretty decent falang house just 2km down the road (there are not that many in the whole area) that we've been offered to rent for 6k baht per month for as long as we need to.

Price was actually 25% lower than the asking price. Good or bad, it's approx £100k for the perfect plot of land that, I hope, I'll live on until I depart this world.

Mate, you have 1.5K posts - you should know by now that you don't have to justify anything to anyone here.

Although it sounds absolutely perfect! It's great to read your reasons.

Lots of people dont know the value of a perfectly square plot for starters. I'm pretty sure you know what title, I think you already know you can't own land here and are buying it for your wife and family, just as I bought mine. When we bought our pieces, people said, "that's expensive - maybe you paid more because you were farang" - well it wasn't, my wife of 20 years did the first approach without even mentioning me and I negotiated it down with the seller close to a price I had in mind after - its also a perfect rectangle btw. We looked at quite a lot of land in the area and were well aware of the price as we had already bought and sold another piece.

Hope everything works out! Sounds lovely.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Mate, you have 1.5K posts - you should know by now that you don't have to justify anything to anyone here.

Although it sounds absolutely perfect! It's great to read your reasons.

Lots of people dont know the value of a perfectly square plot for starters. I'm pretty sure you know what title, I think you already know you can't own land here and are buying it for your wife and family, just as I bought mine. When we bought our pieces, people said, "that's expensive - maybe you paid more because you were farang" - well it wasn't, my wife of 20 years did the first approach without even mentioning me and I negotiated it down with the seller close to a price I had in mind after - its also a perfect rectangle btw. We looked at quite a lot of land in the area and were well aware of the price as we had already bought and sold another piece.

Hope everything works out! Sounds lovely.

Brilliant post. Thank you.