7 hour stopover - Chiang Mai

Startmeup

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Universities are for students to study , its not a place for tourists to hang about passing their time.

Why do you like hanging around places with lots of students ? 

Older man hanging around schools is an arrestable offence in some Countries 

Looks a bit suspect. When I drove through it by accident I couldn't see any tourist attractions. The area nearby looked ok though.

If the OP is interested in muay thai the Tiger Muay Thai gym looks really good. 

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I enjoy the student food (at CMU).

Fact!

What is an old goat like you doing hanging around a University campus unless you are now claiming to be a lecturer from whichever location you now claim to be in?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Some ASEANNOW posters go to that University just to look at the female students , sit outside and look at the students in short skirts 

I assume that is Gatling Gobs reason for going there, assuming it actually has a brain, to give it a reason to do anything!

PS;  We are assuming that it is the girls and NOT the teenage boys that he is possibly ogling there!

PPS;  Do they sell plastic macs in the Maya shopping center?

Edited by scottiejohn

56 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Some ASEANNOW posters go to that University just to look at the female students , sit outside and look at the students in short skirts 

When/how did you discover that Gatling Gob was wearing it's short skirts to ogle the adolescent students at the CM Uni campus?

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Compared to proper restaurants? I find that hard to believe. 

Well your wrong, it's a uni student / lecturer canteen, for what it is the food is quite good.  Nobody is expecting it to be professional restaurant quality. 

• Sad 1

OP, it's not clear whether you have 7 hours to spend somewhere, as many replying to you are assuming, or you have 7 hours between flights, which means you have in practice much less. Is your luggage checked through? Will you need to do Immigration in CM? Or worse, will you have done it already? In which case you'll probably not even be allowed to leave the transfer area.

Anyway, IMO the simplest would be to walk about 20min to the Airport Plaza mall, where you find all kind of coffee shops, restaurants, and  yes massage. Then walk 20 min back. If not comfortable with the walk (it is now hot in CM), there are cheap tuk-tuks or even free shuttles at regular times.

9 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

OP, it's not clear whether you have 7 hours to spend somewhere, as many replying to you are assuming, or you have 7 hours between flights, which means you have in practice much less. Is your luggage checked through? Will you need to do Immigration in CM? Or worse, will you have done it already? In which case you'll probably not even be allowed to leave the transfer area.

Anyway, IMO the simplest would be to walk about 20min to the Airport Plaza mall, where you find all kind of coffee shops, restaurants, and  yes massage. Then walk 20 min back. If not comfortable with the walk (it is now hot in CM), there are cheap tuk-tuks or even free shuttles at regular times.

Wasn’t aware there was a mall so close. Is there much in the airport itself in regards to food/drink options? I’m guessing there is probably a place to get a massage in the airport itself. 

2 hours ago, Startmeup said:

Wasn’t aware there was a mall so close. Is there much in the airport itself in regards to food/drink options? I’m guessing there is probably a place to get a massage in the airport itself. 

Airport is small. Catch a taxi to Central Airport mall. Large food court on lower floor. Should be massage nearby.

Airport Mall is a very short walk from the airport, a good range of shopping and eateries.

You would have enough time to visit Doi Suthep, that's the temple near the top of the mountain that overlooks the airport. It's a pleasant ride up there and the temple is very nice, even if you aren't really into temples, the views are excellent, on a clear day. Some hill tribe shopping and eateries up there also, an excellent photo opportunity.

Plan B? The center of Chiang Mai is fluid, there isn't really a good focal point, apart perhaps from Thapae (tapay) Gate where there's lots of tourists. But it's only 10 minutes from the airport so quick and easy if you decide to go.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You can walk to Central mall.  Go eat, walk around and catch a movie.

Yes.

I do agree with this suggestion.

I like the mall at the airport.

Plenty to eat at very low cost.

This mall is quite relaxed, too, and much better than the new mall (new about 5 years ago, at Festival.)

No traffic worries.

I also enjoy wandering around the Tops supermarket looking at the retail foods for sale.

This place is fairly well-air-conditioned.

There is also a nice hotel within walking distance from the mall.

Good choice if CMU is not an option.