Non-O extension - money must be in Bangkok Bank??

Answer from @Georgealbert explains why Bangkok Bank comes up often in threads re extensions.

Be aware that funds must have been in Bank for 2 months at time of application and you must have 15+ days remaining on your permit stamp. (21 CM) 

Edit: The last sentence does not apply to extensions. It's referring to non O applications. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Answer from @Georgealbert explains why Bangkok Bank comes up often in threads re extensions.

Be aware that funds must have been in Bank for 2 months at time of application and you must have 15+ days remaining on your permit stamp. (21 CM)

Sorry what's that about a "permit stamp" ? Retirement non O extensions don't have any permit stamps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, decline said:

I’ve been reading a few threads on facebook about people extending their non-o visa.

Lots saying the bank must be Bangkok Bank, but I’ve opened with Kasikorn.

Does this mean my application for an extension will get rejected?

In fact IMO any bank is better than the BKB as many immigration offices require your one year statement (if needed) dated the same day and BKB take days, where as all other banks can do them the same day, for example Krungsri bank take 20 minutes. 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Sorry what's that about a "permit stamp" ? Retirement non O extensions don't have any permit 

When you obtain an extension it is "temporary permission of stay".

Sometimes referred to as "permit" 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The 15+ days is when applying for a Non O visa at immigration, for an extension there is no such requirement.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You mean the actual visa extension stamp? I never knew that you had to apply for the new extension no later than 15 days before the old one expires.

Extension stamps are an extension of your visa status, at the end of the period granted, unless addressed, your visa status would become illegal. "Permission to stay" is a generalised term for both entry and extension stamps.

The 15 day reference applies to visa status conversion from exempt or tourist rather than visa status extension.

• Agree 1

If you have the required funds any bank account is acceptable. However if you do not have the funds Bangkok Bank are the only bank  prepared via an agent to provide a false statement of deposit to assist you. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

If you plan to use an agent, most seem to have an agreement with Bangkok Bank to secure the financial requirements, if you do not meet them, especially in the Pattaya area.

Exactly that and I have it from talking to some agent in Pattaya (some 2 or 3 years ago).

Bangkok Bank otherwise "complicated".

So this for those who use an agent with "shady" methods.

A sentence from the agent to a customer that I remember: all I need is your passport and the money. "The money" being the 25k Baht for his special service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

You mean the actual visa extension stamp? I never knew that you had to apply for the new extension no later than 15 days before the old one expires.

You don't in my office (Nakhon Sawan) Last September my friend applied for his extension the day before his old one expired. I thought he would be in trouble but nothing was said. When I did my 90 report I asked how soon I can do my renewal and they said upto 30 days before the current one expires. There was no mention of any minimum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Dr Jack, you need to reword yourm reply re teh 15+days, as it does NOT apply to extensions of stay, ONLY initial application for a Non-Imm O.

4 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

You don't in my office (Nakhon Sawan) Last September my friend applied for his extension the day before his old one expired. I thought he would be in trouble but nothing was said. When I did my 90 report I asked how soon I can do my renewal and they said upto 30 days before the current one expires. There was no mention of any minimum.

There is some confusion - probably not helped by incorrect phrases and words being used.

If applying for your non-O Visa (Ie you currently do not have one and are here on some other permission), you need 15 days remaining on whatever entry permission that is.

In following years, you apply for an extension of stay, not a new visa.  This can be done up to the final day of your current extension (or, if for the first extension, the visa itself).

PH

• Thumbs Up 1

In the case of those seeking annual extensions on the basis of monthly income transfers (at least 65k for retirement and 40k for marriage), where there exists a specific IMM requirement for the foreign origin of such transfers to be proved, the general advice on here has been for these transfers to end up in Bangkok Bank accounts because Bangkok Bank, alone among the Thai banking fraternity, use special descriptors for listing these transfers in passbooks (FTT, standing for Foreign Telegraphic Transfer) and statements (International Transfer).

So, if the OP is using the monthly income method of proving finances for his annual extension applications, he should be aware that he might encounter some additional bureaucratic hassle which he would probably not have done had he opened an account with Bangkok Bank. But almost certainly not outright rejection, though.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Be aware that funds must have been in Bank for 2 months at time of application

The only office (that I am aware of) that asks for seasoning for an initial Non-O is Jomtien, every other office just needs it on the day of the application

20 hours ago, Phulublub said:

There is some confusion - probably not helped by incorrect phrases and words being used.

Exactly, when you enter the country you are granted visa status, be it exempt, tourist or one of the Non O categories.

Visa status can be extended or in some cases converted.