The lost art of tipping

kingstonkid

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fear of development...  warranted or not, is a very common thing as we get older. 

The phone thing... is as quick as tapping a card...  it works wirelessly just like the card - I just double tap the power button, look at the phone (face Id) an its ready to pay.... 

I think you might be thinking of PromptPay and scanning that way..  some people unfamiliar with the system are slower. 

I used PromptPay a lot and find it quicker than cash.

Maybe you're quick with the phone, but since paying with the phone became a thing, the queues at 7-Eleven and other stores are moving much more slowly as people mess around with their phones to pay for things... and it's getting steadily worse as more people start using them. I like the card - quick and easy and no messing around.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I'm paying cashless, and it's the scan a printed barcode (Grab, small restaurants) I add the tip to the amount.  If it's the on-screen system with amount, as in bigger restaurants, I'll tip in cash.  Locals seem to do the same.

When I first arrived I used to tip more, as I was thinking in home currency, but now only 20 THB plus loose change.

I try to avoid using taxis now, but for motorcycle taxis I tip, and everytime they try to give me the change and look confused, so I guess locals do not tip the 'Win'.

I used to always tip but these days my wife pays for everything with the phone, we were talking about it last week when we went for a meal, if we added a tip to the bill do the staff get it? I had 40 baht in my pocket so I left that on the table make sure they got a tip,

My daughter back in the UK has 4 Kebab and Pizza take always she said to me they get hardly any cash these days, she has her own delivery riders

21 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Maybe you're quick with the phone, but since paying with the phone became a thing, the queues at 7-Eleven and other stores are moving much more slowly as people mess around with their phones to pay for things... and it's getting steadily worse as more people start using them. I like the card - quick and easy and no messing around.

Agree - the tap & go on with the card is very efficient.

But there will still be people taking out their wallet only after they’ve been told the amount. 
The same characters are slow with cash too….

….. perhaps even slower with promptpay.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree - the tap & go on with the card is very efficient.

But there will still be people taking out their wallet only after they’ve been told the amount. 
The same characters are slow with cash too….

….. perhaps even slower with promptpay.

We have a friend and she's having none of it, she's got money and plenty of it, she likes to travel quite a bit, China and Japan she always come to my wife to do the booking online and pay my wife cash, 

Next week she's going to Turkey, 

37 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I'm there now. Hotels are far more expensive. If you only drink 1 beer a day it's a small part of the budget. Rents long term a lot more expensive too. Asahi is available in Thailand. Thailand has 30 baht meals too. Haven't seen any in Japan.

I’ve always found good hotels for about 4500-6000 baht a night in Tokyo.

Similar standard hotels are a similar price  here in Bkk (when friends visit) - perhaps a bit cheaper. 

Just paid 7300 per night at a ski resort for a 2BR cottage (full amenities)… can’t get a nice beach house for that here at a beach resort area.

Long term rent - Yep, I can see how that is expensive in JP.

Again - none of this is why there is no tipping culture in Japan. 

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you tip your hotel receptionist ?... the breakfast staff (on the free BF buffet when there is no bill) ???

Do you tip the labourers who take your rubbish away in the middle of the night ?

Where is your 'cheap charlie line drawn' ???...  only at restaurants and massage shops ?

I have thought similar but I think certain staff expect a tip based on their level of pay such as I have mentioned and include hotel room cleaners. Based to on somewhat more personal services where you directly benefit I suppose. May not be totally logical in all cases but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

We have a friend and she's having none of it, she's got money and plenty of it, she likes to travel quite a bit, China and Japan she always come to my wife to do the booking online and pay my wife cash, 

Next week she's going to Turkey, 

My Wife has a friend like that too… 

wealthy as muck, but incapable of doing things such as booking a holiday or even online shopping for herself….

But it’s not a full digital avoidance, just a lack of know how. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... 

I'm 99% cashless now, everywhere I go... 

Where I used to leave a little change...  paying digitally, I don't anymore. 

Being British, tipping has always seemed a strange custom to me. 

I'm paying for something, including a service, why should I pay more if I'm satisfied with that service... I expected to be satisfied, thats exactly what I've paid for.

I love Japan for this reason...  No tipping expected, yet service is impeccable. 

Most places in Thailand now have a 10% service charge so that takes care of the tipping IMO... and when there is no services charge my tip (or not) will depend on the situation... 

I tend to agree ....   you go into a bar or restaurant ,  you have your beers and or food ,  you pay for the drinks and food and that should be it,   why should you have to tip the business anything ?    

If the service, meal and staff were impeccable then an appreciation tip may be warranted,   but for normal service and food it should not be required,   as that's their job and the businesses job.  

and I see folks are tipping less these days then say pre-covid or even 10 yrs ago. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Couldnt careless about monitor its  potentially being controlled I object to.

How long before it's gets to controlled movement and spending.

Do you keep money in the bank and withdraw from an ATM?  They already have the potential to control your cash and movement, unless you have a chunk of change under the bed. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I like the card - quick and easy and no messing around.

I like the cash option quick and easy and no messing around + no one knows what you spent that cash on...well ok "person of interest" is neigh on upon us with all the cameras.

14 minutes ago, n00dle said:

They already have the potential to control your cash and movement,

Nothing like the CBDC's will allow...that will be total control and should be resisted by all means.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

I like the cash option quick and easy and no messing around + no one knows what you spent that cash on...well ok "person of interest" is neigh on upon us with all the cameras.

neigh huh, are they riding ponies?

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

neigh huh, are they riding ponies?

Ha ha ok you got me  with a spelling mistake

I'll go laugh in the corner later 😋

pony  which is £25  I will take in cash thank's

6 hours ago, stoner said:

don't like being monitored ? 

It is a pain in the asset when people get in line, get to the cash, figure out what they want to order, and then figure out how to buy a Coke with the digital wallet.

The other side of things is what the F happens if the store loses its power.  To me, a cashless society is going to make people more brain-dead than they are. 

@Stoner, remember when you went into Timmy's and the girl had to calculate everything in her head, then you had to figure out what to give her so that she then had to figure out your change.

26 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

It is a pain in the asset when people get in line, get to the cash, figure out what they want to order, and then figure out how to buy a Coke with the digital wallet.

The other side of things is what the F happens if the store loses its power.  To me, a cashless society is going to make people more brain-dead than they are. 

@Stoner, remember when you went into Timmy's and the girl had to calculate everything in her head, then you had to figure out what to give her so that she then had to figure out your change.

yep. on a side note i have been to timmies but i have never had a single cup of coffee in my life. 

the line ups tho :)

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fear of development...  warranted or not, is a very common thing as we get older. 

I think I can embrace change when it makes sense to me, and is obviously beneficial. I took to a Kindle like a duck to water.

OTOH, as I got older I have become risk-averse. That shows in my investment profile.

I can put a card in a Faraday cage. That way, exposure to skimming is minimized. I don't know if phones have similar protection, and have no intention of finding out the hard way.

41 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I think I can embrace change when it makes sense to me, and is obviously beneficial. I took to a Kindle like a duck to water.

OTOH, as I got older I have become risk-averse. That shows in my investment profile.

I can put a card in a Faraday cage. That way, exposure to skimming is minimized. I don't know if phones have similar protection, and have no intention of finding out the hard way.

Phones don’t need the ‘faraday cage’ protection - mine only works if the the payment is triggered with a double-tap & authorised with Face ID. 

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Phones don’t need the ‘faraday cage’ protection - mine only works if the the payment is triggered with a double-tap & authorised with Face ID. 

Your phone is stolen, the scammer has a photo of your face, or you obligingly have stored your ID or a personal photo on the phone. What then?

45 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your phone is stolen, the scammer has a photo of your face, or you obligingly have stored your ID or a personal photo on the phone. What then?

Nothing...   

Face ID will not work from a photo.....     But if the Thief Scammer is Ethan Hunt and has a perfect 3D model of my face I'm in trouble.

• Haha 1

I tip the parking lot attendants that flag me a taxi at the grocery store 40 baht.

Working near the market I shop for some groceries almost every day.

I can sit at the store entrance and they walk across the parking lot to the street and get a taxi.

I don't know if everybody tips them but it's worth it to me.

They seem to appreciate it.

Edited by cdemundo

Whenever this topic comes up it seems like those that don't tip are angry at those who do tip and resentful of and insulting to the service workers who they don't tip.

I don't get the reason for that.

3 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Whenever this topic comes up it seems like those that don't tip are angry at those who do tip and resentful of and insulting to the service workers who they don't tip.

I don't get the reason for that.

Why should I tip somebody that is just doing the job they are paid to do ?

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Lol, are you living in 2000 or something? You actually need to be you, to do a successful Face ID scan, even trying it on someone who sleeps won't work. It is actually one of the safest ways available at the moment, specially with Apple. It also generates complex long passwords for each different account you use online somewhere, while you not need to enter or remember those manually.

The majority of people still uses 1-2 passwords for everything, stored in compromised databases all over the dark web.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

SCB just partnered up to make it possible for Europeans and the like to easily pay with QR codes too, so guess that will be only more. Tipping can be done cash and digitally if it is really deserved, the always tipping in general because they need it is a wrong model, American made. Tipping is proven to be bad. Owners should simply pay their staff decently and price their food and drinks accordingly, simple as that.

Just look at the nonsense happening in USA with that, like IDK a mandatory 10% for example, like what is the point even if it is mandatory, just charge it from the menu at once and pay the staff stable fixed wages.

Is like the waiter needs to work just as many hours as always, but if their are less customers, not get paid a full wage, as of missing the tips. Is like you ask a waiter to also be a business owner, accepting risks, but never getting even a reward, as the tips effectively are just the missing minimum wage.

Edited by ChaiyaTH