The lost art of tipping

kingstonkid

7 hours ago, Dolf said:

Do you round up to save dealing with coins? 

Errrr No.

I take the coins home and put em in my coin jar, when it is full I take to the bank and exchange for notes.

Last time there was a little over Bt.7,000 in there.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Errrr No.

I take the coins home and put em in my coin jar, when it is full I take to the bank and exchange for notes.

Last time there was a little over Bt.7,000 in there.

How long did it take to get to 7000.

• Sad 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:03 PM, G_Money said:

I believe we’re talking about (thread) Thailand, not Japan.

I believe you suffer to comprehend the development of a thread... 

The thread is the 'lost art of tipping'....      and not... 'discuss tipping in Thailand only' !!!!

Now... had you graduated beyond reading one or two comments before replying you'd recognise that some of the discussion had evolved into how tipping is considered not acceptable in some countries and whether this is because in countries were wages may be greater tipping is not necessary... 

Ultimately, I can explain it for you, suggest you re-read the thread... but I'm sorry, I can't understand it for you - you'll have to apply yourself a little harder for that.

Edited by richard_smith237

On 2/24/2024 at 6:16 PM, swerve said:

How is tipping an art?  Ridiculous post.

Its a term of phrase... just like the suggesting that 'conversation is an art'...  

... or perhaps 'intelligently contributing to a discussion forum is an art'.... clearly something lost on you.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may be referring to Thailand...  But in the general discussion of 'the lost art of tipping'...   Tipping in the US seems most definitely 'not' optional... 

What happens if you don't tip in the US? 

18 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

SCB just partnered up to make it possible for Europeans and the like to easily pay with QR codes too, so guess that will be only more. Tipping can be done cash and digitally if it is really deserved, the always tipping in general because they need it is a wrong model, American made. Tipping is proven to be bad. Owners should simply pay their staff decently and price their food and drinks accordingly, simple as that.

Just look at the nonsense happening in USA with that, like IDK a mandatory 10% for example, like what is the point even if it is mandatory, just charge it from the menu at once and pay the staff stable fixed wages.

Is like the waiter needs to work just as many hours as always, but if their are less customers, not get paid a full wage, as of missing the tips. Is like you ask a waiter to also be a business owner, accepting risks, but never getting even a reward, as the tips effectively are just the missing minimum wage.

100% concur...   It always seems like its the Americans who accuse 'non-tippers' as being 'cheap-charlies' but they come from an environment which amplifies tipping through employers being cheap-charlies.

That said, I believe tipping originated in the Middle-East and Europe millennia ago when the wealthy started filtering down payment to the serving classes / slaves.... it filtered fwd to Wealth Americans visiting Europe who adopted the culture and made it... well, made it American....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% concur...   It always seems like its the Americans who accuse 'non-tippers' as being 'cheap-charlies' but they come from an environment which amplifies tipping through employers being cheap-charlies.

That said, I believe tipping originated in the Middle-East and Europe millennia ago when the wealthy started filtering down payment to the serving classes / slaves.... it filtered fwd to Wealth Americans visiting Europe who adopted the culture and made it... well, made it American....

https://www.paymentsense.com/uk/blog/the-future-of-tipping/

"But, where does tipping come from and why do we tip? Beginning in Tudor England as a way for overnight guests to give money to their host’s servants, the phenomenon of tipping has been around for the best part of 500 years. "

22 minutes ago, Dolf said:

What happens if you don't tip in the US? 

They chase you down the road apparently... 

Story time: A friend who'd been working in 50 Deg C desert...  flew into NYC after work and met his wife who'd flown there separately.  They went to a restaurant and had a US$200 meal and tipped US$30...  as he was leaving he was chased down at the door by the waitress who asked if there was a problem with her service...  No...  Why only tip 15% then... 

With this he replied, I've just been working 1 month in horrific conditions and no one tipped me (numerous f-bombs were dropped)...  With that he took the $30 she was holding and walked out the door !!! 

(story is somewhat paraphrased - but the 15% is real as is the general gist)... 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Story time: A friend who'd been working in 50 Deg C desert...  flew into NYC after work and met his wife who'd flown there separately.  They went to a restaurant and had a US$200 meal and tipped US$30...  as he was leaving he was chased down at the door by the waitress who asked if there was a problem with her service...  No...  Why only tip 15% then... 

With this he replied, I've just been working 1 month in horrific conditions and no one tipped me (numerous f-bombs were dropped)...  With that he took the $30 she was holding and walked out the door !!! 

I wouldn't tip more than $2. My response would be the same. Take the tip back. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dolf said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

https://www.paymentsense.com/uk/blog/the-future-of-tipping/

"But, where does tipping come from and why do we tip? Beginning in Tudor England as a way for overnight guests to give money to their host’s servants, the phenomenon of tipping has been around for the best part of 500 years. "

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/30/how-tipping-came-to-the-us.html#:~:text=As a practice%2C tipping has,American Social History of Gratuities.”

[In the 1800s, Americans who had seen tipping on travels abroad “thought this would be a wonderful thing to kind of mimic our brothers and sisters in Europe” and brought the practice to the U.S.

At the end of the Civil War, America’s labor force “was flooded” with formerly enslaved people and immigrants. Employers took advantage of this class of “low-educated, low-income” workers, he says, and hired them for jobs that paid very little, encouraging patrons to tip as a supplement to wages. This shifted the responsibility of paying workers to customers and cut employers’ costs.]

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/30/how-tipping-came-to-the-us.html#:~:text=As a practice%2C tipping has,American Social History of Gratuities.”

[In the 1800s, Americans who had seen tipping on travels abroad “thought this would be a wonderful thing to kind of mimic our brothers and sisters in Europe” and brought the practice to the U.S.

At the end of the Civil War, America’s labor force “was flooded” with formerly enslaved people and immigrants. Employers took advantage of this class of “low-educated, low-income” workers, he says, and hired them for jobs that paid very little, encouraging patrons to tip as a supplement to wages. This shifted the responsibility of paying workers to customers and cut employers’ costs.]

A friend told me a worker in New York was getting a $1500 a week in tips in one place.

Just now, Dolf said:

I wouldn't tip more than $2. My response would be the same. Take the tip back. 

I haven't...  but have you been to the US ???

I think its one of those 'you just have to accept it'  type situations and factor in 20% tip into every meal....

Given from what I hear of the US portions, I'd rather they just gave me 20% less and charge the menu amount !!! 

• Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I think its one of those 'you just have to accept it'  type situations and factor in 20% tip into every meal....

Given from what I hear of the US portions, I'd rather they just gave me 20% less and charge the menu amount !!! 

I've been there. Can't remember much, long time ago. What happens in burger places? They get low wages but prices would be fixed. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Iam in Michigan at the moment, the serving sizes are ridiculous.

I order from thee kids menu now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Iam in Michigan at the moment, the serving sizes are ridiculous.

I order from thee kids menu now.

What happens in pizza and burger restaurants? Tip or no tip?

On 2/24/2024 at 2:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The price of a beer in in a restaurant or bar in Japan is cheaper than in Thailand  (for the most part) - prices are not a lot higher than Thailand, a lot things are cheaper there. 

Tipping is not considered polite in Japan because its presents an implication that the 'serving party' is underpaid an needs the money, is undervalued by is company...  its considered demeaning. 

Would you tip your child's school teacher ???? - Teachers salaries are abysmal in Thailand (non-Int'l schools).

Beers are not cheaper in Japan. That is just a crazy comment based on probably one place you went to. Also comparing Japan to Thailand as you have about four times on this thread is like comparing apples and kangaroos. 

I rarely pay with bank transfer when out and about, but almost always with credit card...and always leave a tip, if it's a place where I would normally tip if paying cash. Also always tip my Grab (Food & Taxi), Bolt and Food Panda drivers. Give them cash-in-hand. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What desert is near New York?

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2024 at 1:28 PM, Dolf said:

I don't tell people how to spend their money. Sometimes tip sometimes not.

That's me to a tee!

I'll give a bellboy when he assists with heavy bags but not hand luggage, I give many times a waiter or a room maid.

Likewise, a taxi driver when he helps me with my luggage on to the pavement at my destination, after returning to Thailand from abroad.

I won't and don't feel obliged to give a tip just because somebody hands me an overpriced bottle of beer in a bar. Nor a street food place and the likes.

I don't like tipping when there is a service charge. Some posters have doubted that the service boy or girl receives it, how is that my responsibility?

When I came here to this country, tipping was never really a done thing, or the norm, and I won't blame the USA like many do.

I blame tourism, as a whole, that has instigated this and the locals have become familiar with it, and then it's become expected.

What hasn't happened, the locals have not understood tipping is for ' going above and beyond for service ' and expect tips on many occasions for lousy service.

Some expect to do the bare minimum for you and play with their phones, giving minimal service, and still call you a cheap Charlie if you don't leave a tip.

We are even seeing tip boxes these days, IN YOUR FACE, on display in IT and phone shops, in the back of taxis, coffee shops that are springing up everywhere etc, that is just brazen cheek in my book.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1