The lost art of tipping

kingstonkid

8 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

<deleted>, 99% of people don't make enough.

And they wouldn't pay it forward.

Suppose you tip 20% on a 1000 baht bill. After they get your 200 baht tip and they go out to eat at a place with service, they ain't gonna tip their waitress 40 baht, not even 20 baht, probably not 10 either. 

They'd leave 1s and 2s cos they would be too embarrassed to pick them up, but that's it.

Why tip people like that?

I don't leave 20%, I don't think very many people do leave 20% here in Thailand but 20 baht to a Food Panda delivery person or to a waitress in a restaurant can make a real difference for them, and it means nothing to us. 

Anybody can come up with a dozen reasons to not leave a tip, it's leaving a tip that makes a difference. Are we making a mark on the world or are we just another warm body taking up space? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't leave 20%, I don't think very many people do leave 20% here in Thailand but 20 baht to a Food Panda delivery person or to a waitress in a restaurant can make a real difference for them, and it means nothing to us. 

Anybody can come up with a dozen reasons to not leave a tip, it's leaving a tip that makes a difference. Are we making a mark on the world or are we just another warm body taking up space? 

10-15% is reasonable if you get really good service.

Personally, I tip 100 baht when I go for a massage. My ex explained to me when I got here that they only get a small percentage, if that or a minimum wage for their work. 

I find that tipping for good service helps all the people working in the business, as most businesses share tips.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/26/2024 at 1:42 AM, Burma Bill said:

Well done - so do I, even here in Cambodia. None of this digital wallet cr*p or smart phone apps for me. It is cash only and if the outlet does not like this, then I take my business elsewhere! 

Exactly, real men carry a lot of cash in their pocket. I remember stories about Jackie Gleason how he never left home without less than $2,000 or $3,000 cash and that was back in the 30s and 40s, when you could buy a restaurant that you were eating in for $2,000!

The most obnoxious aspect of this contemporary trend is people using their phone app to pay for a 20 or 30 baht item, or even a 50 baht cup of coffee. I've been in line before where people are spending five minutes trying to get their app to work properly, and I've pulled out 20 or 30 baht and handed it to them and said please just pay, let us get on with our lives. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly, real men carry a lot of cash in their pocket. I remember stories about Jackie Gleason how he never left home without less than $2,000 or $3,000 cash and that was back in the 30s and 40s, when you could buy a restaurant that you were eating in for $2,000!

The most obnoxious aspect of this contemporary trend is people using their phone app to pay for a 20 or 30 baht item, or even a 50 baht cup of coffee. I've been in line before where people are spending five minutes trying to get their app to work properly, and I've pulled out 20 or 30 baht and handed it to them and said please just pay, let us get on with our lives. 

Did that make you a Real Man, doing that ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Did that make you a Real Man, doing that ?

Not specifically, but since I'm a real man already, it's just something that comes naturally for me.

Real men carry plenty of cash. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not specifically, but since I'm a real man already, it's just something that comes naturally for me.

Hahaha the world is trying to go cashless banks are closing down and ATM's disappearing. Where do you get cash from?

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Hahaha the world is trying to go cashless banks are closing down and ATM's disappearing. Where do you get cash from?

Fortunately cash is still very plentiful, and I do believe that Thailand will resist the trend, though many people are succumbing to the cashless thing. I will resist it with all the power in my being for as long as I can. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Fortunately cash is still very plentiful, and I do believe that Thailand will resist the trend, though many people are succumbing to the cashless thing. I will resist it with all the power in my being for as long as I can. 

Just answer my question. Where do you get your cash from?

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

With respect, not quite true. Yes, some countries, like the UK, are trying to go cashless but here in Siem Reap (Cambodia) new banks are being constructed and existing ones being renovated. There are also several newly constructed "multi-bank" ATM kiosks around town, in fact my bank, which was recently redecorated, has just opened 2 more new ATMs in the city. Cambodia does promote digital payments but cash will be available for a long time yet. I pay in cash, especially at the local fresh produce markets where cash is "king" or by debit card in the supermarkets.  So, where do I get cash from? - banks and ATMs throughout Cambodia. I do not own, or intend to own a smartphone. I cannot use them due to finger disabilities.

Photo of my refurbished and redecorated bank (2023). Also note road improvement to show new pavement(sidewalk), white lines and a pedestrian crossing!

Photo 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How much cash do you need to carry around to be real man ?

Would a 1000 Baht note be enough ?