The lost art of tipping

kingstonkid

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Depends on the venue.

I still use cash for lunch each day and they get the loose change etc if its not an even note.

Places that are "cashless" don't get anything. I am dead against a cashless society.

Pro's and cons...    I'd not want to be without either. 

The convenience of just tapping your phone and paying is excellent, as is just tapping your card.

I was in France for 2 weeks and didn't even take any cash out - very convenient.

I was in Japan recently - a bit more like Thailand on the cash front, I had to use cash for about 10% of transactions. 

But there are also negatives of cashless society - we certainly need both.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

If you come from a place where tipping is not a thing, I have no problem with people not tipping. Thai people don't tip much (if at all).

Our rule for Grab delivery is 50 baht, unless they're coming from the Old City or beyond, then we go up to 100. They def like seeing a tip on their phone upfront. One guy we love texts us to say, "I'm really waiting a long time for the food", but it's still a flat 50-100.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I tap a card in Australia, for 99% of transactions. In Thailand, I use mostly cash, occasional card.

I refuse to have anything to do with phones, mainly because IMO there is going to be a massive hack of the system one day.

Fear of development...  warranted or not, is a very common thing as we get older. 

The other thing I notice with phones is how slow the transactions are at a checkout, compared to paying cash or tapping a card.

The phone thing... is as quick as tapping a card...  it works wirelessly just like the card - I just double tap the power button, look at the phone (face Id) an its ready to pay.... 

I think you might be thinking of PromptPay and scanning that way..  some people unfamiliar with the system are slower. 

I used PromptPay a lot and find it quicker than cash.

I don't tip in Australia. I tip here with cash, I don't when they want a card.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's definitely a few people on this thread whose favourite author is George Orwell !!! 

Why not many of the things he said are coming true , !!!!   what better way of controlling

folks than how they can spend their money ....its coming . 

regards Worgeordie

Lots of different forms of digital currency....       decentralised banking etc...   

... its coming... 

... Just as easily mentioned as the paranoid 'the governments are trying to control us' brigade.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The price of a beer in in a restaurant or bar in Japan is cheaper than in Thailand  (for the most part) - prices are not a lot higher than Thailand, a lot things are cheaper there. 

Tipping is not considered polite in Japan because its presents an implication that the 'serving party' is underpaid an needs the money, is undervalued by is company...  its considered demeaning. 

Would you tip your child's school teacher ???? - Teachers salaries are abysmal in Thailand (non-Int'l schools).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Japan&country2=Thailand&city1=Tokyo&city2=Bangkok

50 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Couldnt careless about monitor its  potentially being controlled I object to.

How long before it's gets to controlled movement and spending.

i hear you. having others tell you what to do is pretty crazy.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The price of a beer in in a restaurant or bar in Japan is cheaper than in Thailand  (for the most part) - prices are not a lot higher than Thailand, a lot things are cheaper there. 

Tipping is not considered polite in Japan because its presents an implication that the 'serving party' is underpaid an needs the money, is undervalued by is company...  its considered demeaning. 

Would you tip your child's school teacher ???? - Teachers salaries are abysmal in Thailand (non-Int'l schools).

I believe we’re talking about (thread) Thailand, not Japan.

Edited by G_Money
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't need a website - I've just been there.....   although that website is good information, its also misleading. 

The the 1000 JPY bowl of Ramen is far greater in quality than a 100 baht Thai meal. 

The beer (which is cheaper in a restaurant in Japan) is better quality than Singha in Thailand. 

The direct 'price for price' comparison, ignores quality. 

Regardless... none of the above is the reason for not tipping in Japan...  The reason for tipping in Thailand is possibly a certain degree of Americanisation. 

I'm there now. Hotels are far more expensive. If you only drink 1 beer a day it's a small part of the budget. Rents long term a lot more expensive too. Asahi is available in Thailand. Thailand has 30 baht meals too. Haven't seen any in Japan.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1