SSO question

WebGuy

Hi folks,

I worked for a company in Thailand for 5 years and paid for SSO during this time. 

I lost my job on 31st October so I formed a company and have director role.

I read somewhere on the forum that if a foreign losses job, s/he can continue paying for SSO if 6 months didn't pass.

My wife went to SSO office to check about it and they gave her a plain no because I am a foreigner.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what my options are regarding this issue?

The office is wrong. You absolutely can pay by yourself. You will need to go there in person to sort it out. I had this problem once when I was between jobs. In the end, I had to get someone on the phone from the main bkk office to tell them to do it. Some of the employees are clueless.

Main office in bkk has English speaking staff you can talk to. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

If it's your new (own) company that will be paying the SSO on your behalf in the future (rather than you personally), then the SSO staff would be saying no because directors are generally ineligible for SSO payments. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've managed to get enrolled under "section 39" provision for voluntary payment.

Am I to use SSO Connect or SSO Plus app?

... and do I use my pink card number?

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I managed to log in through their website but when I want to use SSO+, they ask for taking my ID photo. But when I take the photo of my pink card, it is not recognized. Is there a workaround for this?

On 2/27/2024 at 4:24 PM, mark5335 said:

If it's your new (own) company that will be paying the SSO on your behalf in the future (rather than you personally), then the SSO staff would be saying no because directors are generally ineligible for SSO payments. 

Not sure about that.

I am a director in a Thai company that I do not own but I did set it up 20 years ago.

Originally, the company paid the SS but then, some years later, as a director, I had to set up a recurring transfer in my private bank account to pay the SS.

Company can no longer do it.

I still pay 432 baht every month.

43 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

Actually, I managed to log in through their website but when I want to use SSO+, they ask for taking my ID photo. But when I take the photo of my pink card, it is not recognized. Is there a workaround for this?

Pink id name is usually in Thai - show your passport or Thai driving licence?

1 hour ago, WebGuy said:

Hi guys,

I've managed to get enrolled under "section 39" provision for voluntary payment.

Am I to use SSO Connect or SSO Plus app?

... and do I use my pink card number?

Good news.

I retired,  after many hassles and discussions I eventually got voluntary insurance (Section 39). 

Your ID number on your pik card is your SSO member number (same as with Thai folks).

Can I suggest you call the SSO Hotline 1506, they have English speaking staff. If you press for English and nobody answers it means that there's no english speaking staff available at that moment. Try again in a few hours or the next day, you will eventually get an English speaker. 

I found the 1506 staff to be very knowledgeable, good listeners, they asked me to clarify a couple of times and I got clear focused answers.

I guess the office which did help you has also set up an automatic monthly deduction from a bank account number you have provided. My monthly payment is withdrawn (by the SSO automatic system) on the 15th of every month. The standard deduction is 432 Baht. Other members have shared that occasionally the monthly deduction goes down a little but then returns to the standard 432Baht every month.

I check that my monthly member payment has been actioned.

a). By checking my bank account on line to see that a 432Baht deduction has taken place.

b). Also there's an SSO site where you can check that the SSO has received your payment. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not sure about that.

I am a director in a Thai company that I do not own but I did set it up 20 years ago.

Originally, the company paid the SS but then, some years later, as a director, I had to set up a recurring transfer in my private bank account to pay the SS.

Company can no longer do it.

I still pay 432 baht every month.

Pink id name is usually in Thai - show your passport or Thai driving licence?

Actually your ID number on your pink card is your SSO member number.

My understanding is that the national ID for all Thais is automatically the Thai persons SSO member number and the SSO wants foreigners to use their pink ID card number so that  Thai ID numbers is the standard numbering system for everybody.  

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good news.

I retired,  after many hassles and discussions I eventually got voluntary insurance (Section 39). 

Your ID number on your pik card is your SSO member number (same as with Thai folks).

Can I suggest you call the SSO Hotline 1506, they have English speaking staff. If you press for English and nobody answers it means that there's no english speaking staff available at that moment. Try again in a few hours or the next day, you will eventually get an English speaker. 

I found the 1506 staff to be very knowledgeable, good listeners, they asked me to clarify a couple of times and I got clear focused answers.

I guess the office which did help you has also set up an automatic monthly deduction from a bank account number you have provided. My monthly payment is withdrawn (by the SSO automatic system) on the 15th of every month. The standard deduction is 432 Baht. Other members have shared that occasionally the monthly deduction goes down a little but then returns to the standard 432Baht every month.

I check that my monthly member payment has been actioned.

a). By checking my bank account on line to see that a 432Baht deduction has taken place.

b). Also there's an SSO site where you can check that the SSO has received your payment. 

Here's a snip:

image.png.15f48cafe77096bd2fff144f09b4dcd5.png

On the bottom line left side you can see 'Live Chat'.

This is a typical on line chat box and very useful. You can select English, the chat box will ask you to give your telephone number and confirm the telephone number is valid in Thailand.

Eventually (maybe several hours later) someone from SSO will call you and give you answers to your question(s). Always polite, always focused, clear answers. The call could be well into the evening to ensure they have responded the same day, but whatever. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WebGuy said:

my pink card

Can anybody please clarify what this pink card is about?

I have a Thai work permit since many years, SSO paid by the company, but I don't remember any pink card. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can anybody please clarify what this pink card is about?

I have a Thai work permit since many years, SSO paid by the company, but I don't remember any pink card. Thanks.

The pink card is not specific to the Social Security Office / Fund. 

What is relevant is that foreigners who have longer-term visas and lifetime PR holders are issued with a 'Thai' ID number. The construction of the iD number is the same as for Thai citizens but the ID number for the longer-term visa holders and lifetime PR holders starts with 8. 

In some cases this is the 'door' to gaining a yellow covered Tabien Baan book.

The pink ID card and the yellow Tabien Baan book are requirements to getting approval for the continuation of social Security Injury and Sickness benefits after the foreigner has retired. This is available under Article 39 of the Social Security Act. Also known as voluntary insurance:

-The foreigner retires

-Within six months of receiving a payout of member contributions the foreigner can indicate he/she wishes to continue their Injury and Sickness benefits (known as SSF Article 39 benefits) and pays the monthly member contributions direct to the SSO. This is usually done by the SSO setting up an automatic process to take / withdraw 432Baht per month from a bank account indicated by the foreigner. As above the foreigner has 6 months to decide if they wish to go this route. Later then 6 months and the foreigner cannot continue their membership. 

At retirement the employer ceases to make contributions. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

The pink card is not specific to the Social Security Office / Fund. 

What is relevant is that foreigners who have longer-term visas and lifetime PR holders are issued with a 'Thai' ID number. The construction of the iD number is the same as for Thai citizens but the ID number for the longer-term visa holders and lifetime PR holders starts with 8. 

In some cases this is the 'door' to gaining a yellow covered Tabien Baan book.

Thanks

Now I am even more confused. I own a condominium in Bangkok. Then I applied for a Tabien Baan book. I have that book, I think it's blue, and it does not contain my name or any name. The contract for the condominium and the land office document contains my name, I am the sole owner.

Any idea where I can get that pink card and/or my Thai ID number?

Thanks

I can't give you specific answers, the best I can offer is below and other members please share your knowledge / experience on this:

- The Tabien Baan book given to you for the condo at the land titles office should now have your name inserted, but from my knowledge the Tabien Baan book should be yellow colour unless of course you hold lifetime Permanent Residence then your name should be in the dark blue coloured book.

- After the dealings at the Land Titles office the entry into the Tabien Baan book could very probably be done at the local Amphur office. This is where any issues about what colour Tabien Baan book should be used for you could be resolved.

Also when Thai folks move they go to the current Amphur office and explain 'we're moving to xxxx', and leave with a 'transfer document'. Then go to the Amphur office in the new location with the tabien baan book for the new house/condo/apartment etc., and get the tabien book  updated. 

- From my understanding this would also be the right time to request a pink ID card.

- I have PR (27 years), I live permanently with my Thai adult son, his Thai wife and 4 kids in Chiang Mai city. My name is in the family dark blue Tabien Baan book.

- When I first heard of the pink card I was advised to go to the main Amphur office for Chiang Mai city, take every document ever issued and take my son in case extra translation was needed.

- We went to the main Amphur office, very pleasant young staff keen to get the pink card issued, about 2 hrs later we left with my pink card in my pocket. 

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Here is the latest update.

I called 1506 and there was really a person speaking more than decent English.

I said I could log in through their website but not by using their app and this is what she explained:

1. The app used before was called SSO Connect and it is sunset (I can confirm this because I used it in the past)
  2. There is a new app to be used and it is called SSO Plus, however, it only recognizes Thai ID cards for now (photo of ID card needs to be taken for initial verification)
  3. SSO Plus app is still under development and it will support the option of foreigners using it with their pink card (I didn't ask when this function will be ready)

So for now, we use their website.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

my social security number (working as employee here since 2008) is different than the number on my pink ID card (issued 2022)

I am using the SSO connect app and have acces to all my details

Planing to use article 39 voluntary insurance once retired and to receive monthly old pension benefits of about 5000 THB with 60y retire age or about 4,000 THB if I retire with 55y as well - hope all will go smoth.....

Cheers

On 4/11/2024 at 12:43 PM, WebGuy said:

Hi guys,

Here is the latest update.

I called 1506 and there was really a person speaking more than decent English.

I said I could log in through their website but not by using their app and this is what she explained:

1. The app used before was called SSO Connect and it is sunset (I can confirm this because I used it in the past)
  2. There is a new app to be used and it is called SSO Plus, however, it only recognizes Thai ID cards for now (photo of ID card needs to be taken for initial verification)
  3. SSO Plus app is still under development and it will support the option of foreigners using it with their pink card (I didn't ask when this function will be ready)

So for now, we use their website.

Cheers!

Guys, here is the final update so please neglect the post above. I have just installed the SSO Connect Mobile app and was able to log in which means we still can use this app. (Mods, please let's somehow emphasize that this is the valid piece of info if this huge font isn't allowed).

2 hours ago, MrJ said:

Hi,

my social security number (working as employee here since 2008) is different than the number on my pink ID card (issued 2022)

I am using the SSO connect app and have acces to all my details

Planing to use article 39 voluntary insurance once retired and to receive monthly old pension benefits of about 5000 THB with 60y retire age or about 4,000 THB if I retire with 55y as well - hope all will go smoth.....

Cheers

Thanks to you I tried to log in with SSO Connect app and can log in now. However, I am not sure how can you count on pension of 5000 THB if you retire at 60 and 4000 THB if you retire at 55. I started contributing in 2018 and I can see on the app I have around 42000 THB so you may be at around 100K THB so far considering you started contributing in 2008. According to my understanding this monthly figure will increase in time and we can take it out when we are 55 or 60 but we are limited to this figure. For example, my father in law worked for 20 years (he is Thai) and at 55 he had around 120K THB so he was entitled to this money and could have chosen to take it all out at once or to receive it monthly. Could you please explain on what ground you expect to receive 5000 THB i.e. 4000THB a month? Can we contribute more than we do?

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can you please tell us the app name or a screenshot of it.

I like to install it.

Thanks

The app's name goes exactly like this: SSO Connect Mobile and below the app name it is written Bossup Solution Co., Ltd. Let me know if you still can't find it and I will make a screenshot and send it to you.

Guys, here is the final update so please neglect the post above. I have just installed the SSO Connect Mobile app and was able to log in which means we still can use this app. (Mods, please let's somehow emphasize that this is the valid piece of info if this huge font isn't allowed).

Thanks to you I tried to log in with SSO Connect app and can log in now. However, I am not sure how can you count on pension of 5000 THB if you retire at 60 and 4000 THB if you retire at 55. I started contributing in 2018 and I can see on the app I have around 42000 THB so you may be at around 100K THB so far considering you started contributing in 2008. According to my understanding this monthly figure will increase in time and we can take it out when we are 55 or 60 but we are limited to this figure. For example, my father in law worked for 20 years (he is Thai) and at 55 he had around 120K THB so he was entitled to this money and could have chosen to take it all out at once or to receive it monthly. Could you please explain on what ground you expect to receive 5000 THB i.e. 4000THB a month? Can we contribute more than we do?

The app's name goes exactly like this: SSO Connect Mobile and below the app name it is written Bossup Solution Co., Ltd. Let me know if you still can't find it and I will make a screenshot and send it to you.

When I search on my Android phone I find SSO+ Social Security Office Thailand.

I didn't install it yet.

Is that the one?

According to my understanding this monthly figure will increase in time and we can take it out when we are 55 or 60 but we are limited to this figure. For example, my father in law worked for 20 years (he is Thai) and at 55 he had around 120K THB so he was entitled to this money and could have chosen to take it all out at once or to receive it monthly. Could you please explain on what ground you expect to receive 5000 THB i.e. 4000THB a month? Can we contribute more than we do?

Monthly pension payments continue for life not just up to the total amount paid in before retirement. If you take out a lump sum, you take out what was put in, If you live a long life, you could get much more than you paid in. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I search on my Android phone I find SSO+ Social Security Office Thailand.

I didn't install it yet.

Is that the one?

Nope. I made the screenshot. 

I believe they want to migrate from SSO connect to SSO Plus and Thai citizens already can use SSO Plus because this app recognizes Thai ID cards. However, foreigners must go with SSO Connect I attached in the screen. 

Screenshot_20240428_101802_Google Play Store.jpg

15 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Monthly pension payments continue for life not just up to the total amount paid in before retirement. If you take out a lump sum, you take out what was put in, If you live a long life, you could get much more than you paid in. 

Thanks. I didn't know this was the case in Thailand. 

I lost my job last year so had to open a small company where my wife owns 51% and I 49%. I am appointed for director so I was said that directors in Thailand can't be under the social security system.

Then I discovered I can be under the SSO and they wouldn't cut the full amount of 750THB but around 400 monthly which gives me the access to unlimited medical insurance, however, the retirement contribution stops.

Do you maybe know if I will be entitled to a small Thai pension although I am paying these 400THB monthly? Or do you maybe have some source where I could read more on this topic?

my current amount on SSO is 153,195 THB after about 15.5y contribution, so I can opt for the lump sum anytime after retire or (my plan) I can apply for mothly pension at the age from 55 if contributed at least 15 years to SSO, the amount is calculated as follows

20% out of 15,000 THB (caped max salary) = 3,000 THB/month (base pension)

plus 1.5% per year contributed over 15 years, so in my case total 24 years (if working until 60) = 9y x 1 .5%=13.5%

33.5% out of 15K = 5,025 THB monthly pension 

(my goal is to retire with 55 in 2008, 19y = 4y x 1.5%=6%, total 26% from 15K= 3,900 THB/M)

this is not affected by the 432 THB/M voluntary contribution to maintain SSO covergage

Cheers J

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

new twist - my ec co-worker (JAP) tried to set up the voluntary monthly SSO contribution @ SSO Pattaya branch....they send him away as his name in his bank book was NOT written in Thai letters and as usual for non Thais in Latin...he went to his bank and they never heard about that request....lets see what"s next if he can provide an updated book?

advised hin to call SSO headquarters in BKK to assit

I have a similar issue - sorry to hijack. I've retired and want to keep SSO insurance but requirements I cannot meet as I / wife do not own property. Therefore, cannot get on house book. Woman on phone told me to visit, wondering if any of you have some good news / information?

Part of requirements

ID card 13 digit

House registration

*TM30 or in the book?

I was told on phone passport might work but needed to visit.

Already have taxid#, residence certificate easy enough.

20240516_131319.jpg

Thirty years ago when I started a full-time job my employer automatically enrolled me in the Thai Social Security Fund (SSF / SSO).

In those days the member number assigned (Thai and foreigners) was from a different SSO only numbering system.

Then the SSO decided to scrap that numbering system and use the standard Thai ID card number as the SSO member number.

Some foreigner members already had a Thai ID number, being used in the Tabien Baa book the foreigner was registered in (som had yellow covered Tabien Baan books, foreigners holding Thai PR were registered (from the date they were issued with their Thai Certificate of Residency book (PR book) in the standard dark blue covered Tabien Baan book) and their SSO member number was changed to their Thai ID number (starting with an 8).

However changing the SSO member number to the Thai ID number for foreigners was apparently not well done and some foreigners (who had PR / dark blue TB book and pink card)  continued to hold / use the original SSO member number from the old SSO member numbering system.

This happened to me,  and years later some complications arose and it was realised that my monthly member contributions were still going to the SSO using my old system SSO member number. The records were then adjusted to show my SSO member number as the number in my standard dark blue Tabien Baan book and on my pink card. 

• Thanks 1