Burger chain Wendy's looking to test surge pricing at U.S. restaurants next year

Crossy

Wendy's is looking to test having the prices of its menu items in the U.S. fluctuate throughout the day based on demand, implementing a strategy that has already taken hold with ride-sharing companies and ticket sellers.

Wendy's has "no plans to expand" its new surge pricing trial into Canada, its media relations office told CTV News in an email.

During a conference call earlier this month, Wendy's CEO Kirk Tanner said that the Dublin, Ohio-based burger chain will start testing dynamic pricing, also known as surge pricing, as early as next year.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/burger-chain-wendy-s-looking-to-test-surge-pricing-at-restaurants-as-early-as-next-year-1.6785412

image.png.6f96bb87c2a7c0be36fdeb653dfb775e.png

I recall using a bar in HK called "Wall Street" where the prices varied dynamically according to demand for particular beverages.

It was all controlled by a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum! (did I say it was a while ago??) :whistling:

EDIT Looks like it still exists (or at least the one I recall was in Tsim-Sha-Tsui too), but no mention of dynamic pricing.

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-the-wall-street-bar-lounge-tsim-sha-tsui-international-wine-r663210

Just now, impulse said:

Back in the early '80s, a bartender I worked with used to do dynamic pricing based on how drunk and obnoxious the customers got.  And how short their skirts were.  I don't recall him having a computer, and he was pretty arbitrary.

To be honest, IIRC the computer was pretty arbitrary too :smile:

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

During a conference call earlier this month, Wendy's CEO Kirk Tanner said that the Dublin, Ohio-based burger chain will start testing dynamic pricing.....

...also know as surge-greed.  I'm pretty sure this must have been developed by some poor schmuck from a silver-spoon fed background who attended an Ivy-League university and flunked economics.  "How can we screw the commoners out of more and more of their money."  Next up?  Bonuses for the executives, cut-back on the working hours and benefits from the working-class plebs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I recall using a bar in HK called "Wall Street" where the prices varied dynamically according to demand for particular beverages.

It was all controlled by a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum! (did I say it was a while ago??) :whistling:

EDIT Looks like it still exists (or at least the one I recall was in Tsim-Sha-Tsui too), but no mention of dynamic pricing.

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-the-wall-street-bar-lounge-tsim-sha-tsui-international-wine-r663210

I have some great memories visiting various bars in TST when the Brits were still renting the place. 

I was a lot younger then and probably got more <deleted> faced than was wise.  Still I didn't get into trouble and managed to find my way home. 

Fun days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

There was a similar bar in Singapore called The Beer Market with prices listed on stock exchange like monitors and they would fluctuate based on demand.

However, being Singapore, they went from being really expensive to horrendously expensive.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Well good luck with that..... I hope it bites them in the butt. 

Greedy corporates trying to get the last drop of blood out of customers by actually no additional effort. 

Dick wads

there is no need for it to bite them in the ass and it could be a boon if it keeps baseline pricing and offers discounts for low activity periods. 

But we all know that ain't gonna happen. 

coming soon to UK variable pricing and  most likely worldwide electric prices especially with the evangalistic vehicles, wait and see how much they cost to run  then and  solar  fan boys  also better  watch out as theyll be a  solar  panel tax, no way will any govt give up any existing taxes without clawing it back one way or another.

• Confused 3

These fast food joints are just hurting themselves with the price gouging. Now, when back in the US we find it better to eat in regular restaurants. Thai and Vietnamese joints are our favorite where you can order something kinda healthy vs. paying more to eat a so so burger.

Lots of industries already doing peak pricing.  Airlines and hotels jack up rates for holidays and high season.  When visiting family I can't do laundry during peak times as electricity companies vary useage rates according to demand.  My sister would only do laundry after midnight.

Free competitive markets should make this impossible.